Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going back to standard wheel black wheel on '69. Non Tilt. Two horn buttons. wires from horn buttons/contacts going to column.

Does anyone have a diagram or description on the sequence to hold the wires in the little plastic cancel cam? There is a spring, a little plastic clip and a brass contact point. I assume the spring holds the brass against the contact surface, and the plastic piece holds the spring and brass piece inside the cam. Is this correct? Are the wires soldered into the brass contact? I assume this can be done without having to pull the plate on top of column.

Lastly, the Horn Contact kit doesn't seem to come with the spring or the brass contact on end. Anyone seen these sold anywhere? I see a "kit" for $27.00 but hopefully don't need all of that.

Any help on the wiring/connection sequence?

Any help?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two months have passed, but no replies. Any diagrams or words on hooking the standard horn assembly back up to column? the "buttons kit" comes only with wires, but no hookup instructions or parts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Flye,

There are no wires connected to the spring and brass rod. I assume that there is a wire connected on the other side of the base that the spring touches. There are no other wires that I can see in the steering horn area. I am not sure how much you have disconnected. I never took it apart that much.

On my 68, the horn problem was on the horn relay. Some of the wires were not plugged in. The plugs are different so it is fairly easy to figure out where things go.

I hope this has been of some help...

Theo.
'68 Chevelle Convertible.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reponse. I'm probably not being clear. Horn was totally pulled. New "buttons" with horn contacts on wheel. Each side has a single wire coming from it (black and white) Inside the column is the plastic horn cam that I believe has a small plunger that sits between a spring and a plastic piece to hold it in the cam. That plunger is against the metal surface on the plastic cam. I needed to know how the wires go to the plunger or whatever.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It almost sounds like someone broke the wires off the little metal contact?? The wires were soldered to it.
This metal contact, a small disc, is part of the horn plunger. This disc is inserted into the top of the sleeve on the cancelling cam (horn ring thing). The spring sits above it and the horn plunger plastic piece snaps into the cancelling cam. The wires feed out the middle through the spring and the sleeve.
This what you are looking for??

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If you go to www.corvettefaq.com/A-Car.asp you can download Std Strg Column 69-72 Column Parts and Mounting Pics. The scans are rather small but you can see the spring, the metal eyelet, and the plastic insulator that holds all three in the cancelling cam horn tower.

With these parts in place, the eyelet is spring loaded so that it touches a stationary contact point that is part of the steering wheel. It can be the entire pad (as shown in Fig A). Or it can be a small separate part like the Horn Upper Insulator (shown in Fig B.)

Any wires from the horn buttons must lead to some type of stationary pad on the steering wheel that should touch the eyelet.

Hope this helps,
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts