Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I recently acquired a 1971 402 block and Im planning on building it into a 434 stroker since its already 30 over. Here’s the lower end kit I’m looking to get.

i Haven’t had much luck when researching heads for a bb 434, plenty of stuff on sbc. Really just looking for a good street build with a nice mean lopey cam that doesn’t sacrifice performance. Does anyone know what heads would be good for this build? Open to old iron heads that can be worked or newer alum as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,289 Posts
What are your goals ? All out drag car ? Putt around to the car shows ? Somewhere in between ?

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
Some 781 or 049 heads if old iron. New alu Brodix race rite 270 ovals.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
One could build a really nice 454 street engine complete for what that rotating assy cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually looking at the brodix 270s. Was ultimately planning to go with those. Was curious to see if there were a set of irons worth the effort. I’ll check out those numbers too.

in regards to a 454 build, those are everywhere, just like LS swaps. A stroked 402 appeals to me more for a street/show build. its a little out of the ordinary.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
I was actually looking at the brodix 270s. Was ultimately planning to go with those. Was curious to see if there were a set of irons worth the effort. I’ll check out those numbers too.

in regards to a 454 build, those are everywhere, just like LS swaps. A stroked 402 appeals to me more for a street/show build. its a little out of the ordinary.
Yeah but you're spending all this money (or considering spending it) on brodix heads and a stroker kit .

If you're doing that then your lookin to go way off stock anyway and if your doing that you must be looking to go fast .

The point Is that this "appeal " you're talking about of having a 402 goes right out the window because its no longer a 402 and would have nothing to do with stock .

The point 68 chevelle is trying to make if I may is that a big block is a big block and if you're going to throw all this money at it then why start with a small big block ?

Do you really think anyone is going to care or be impressed that the block was a 402 and you sunk 4 grand in parts and a hundred hours of your labor and then it goes fast ?
A guy that puts the same into the 454 block with all other things equal is gonna mop that "402" up .

You're saying you want a cruiser that you want to drag now and then and that "you like the appeal ' of a 402
If thats the case then put some worked over iron heads on it and one of the best stock intakes of that era on it and your gonna go fast and your gonna have the appeal of the original 402

If you're gonna put 4 to 8 grand in the engine then go all the way .

What is the engine going in ?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
One can ?
Maybe you can.
But not everyONE can lol
Yes, anyone can. Building a decent 454 BBC is fairly cheap and GM's internal parts really stand up to a beating. For a good street engine it cannot be beat.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
My opinion - much like why build a 383 if you can build a 400, why stroke a 402? Please understand, I like the 396/402 for what it is, and even have a 402 in my stable. However, for the money it will take to stroke the block you already have, you could get a 454 block and build an all forged 454 for less.

·
Premium Member
28,745 Posts
$3,100+ for a rotator that yields 434 cubic inches is not worth the cash IMHO and experience.
I recently built a 454 +.030 512 block with NOS service replacement 291 castings square port heads for a total of about what that rotator cost.
I paid $500 for the 2 bolt 512 block that was freshly bored and came with a polished standard steel crank,$600 for the heads (bare,in the GM boxes). The rest of the cost was machine work and parts.

I applaud you for doing something different and cool, but me personally I want all I can get for HP/TQ for the money spent.
A 454 is much better platform to start with and will yield more HP/TQ for the same money spent on a 396/402 stoked to a 434
Heck a 496 rotator is about $1500

If you stay the 434 CID route,I would look at the Brodix Race Rites as someone mentioned and use the GM ZZ502 cam (224/[email protected] .527/.544 110 LSA)
this is my $3300 454
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
My opinion - much like why build a 383 if you can build a 400, why stroke a 402? Please understand, I like the 396/402 for what it is, and even have a 402 in my stable. However, for the money it will take to stroke the block you already have, you could get a 454 block and build an all forged 454 for less.
It's a little different with the 383/400 deal. Most of the time the 400 block can be cracked pile of sh!t and I think that's the reason most do the 383. I personally like the 400's myself and have been rewarded with fantastic times and performance in the last few years. As for a 396 engine, the best one I have ever seen on the street was the kid I helped him build that inc. a set of peanut port heads, that little big block was a torque monster.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
It's a little different with the 383/400 deal. Most of the time the 400 block can be cracked pile of sh!t and I think that's the reason most do the 383. I personally like the 400's myself and have been rewarded with fantastic times and performance in the last few years. As for a 396 engine, the best one I have ever seen on the street was the kid I helped him build that inc. a set of peanut port heads, that little big block was a torque monster.
Exactly and that's why I built a 385 .
I had a good block that was already 40 over so that's what I did.
I could have went out and bought at 2 thousand dollar 427 or 434 sbc dart aluminum block but I didn't want to spend that much.
454's are easy to find and bought for a song

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the input, seriouly. I’m definitely not againts leaving it a 402. But having loosely priced up lower end parts, it’s gonna cost about the same as buying the complete stroker kit. Chances are it’ll never see the track. If it does it would only be to see what it would run.

·
Registered
650 Posts
One can ?
Maybe you can.
But not everyONE can lol
Did a 454 w/ new forged pistons 4 years ago.
$2100.00 for parts and machine work. ( even balancing )
But head work didn't cost anything other than time. ( I have head equipment )
It ran low 12.40's in the Lemans with, 9-1 comp, 781's, hyd. flat tappet, Eddy 2-o, 800dp. ( Eddy is coming off, will be going to a molested early iron high rise and QJ.)

So depending on what you have for a core you can do one for a reasonable amount, and make decent power using factory castings.
Look at what MJ does with his 467 engines.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Something else to think about when it comes to bore size. The bigger the bore, the better the heads will flow. If your serious about making power, go with the biggest bore you can get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts