Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy my wife a camera, and I do not have a clue on what to get her, she takes pictures of small items mostly [IE flowers] and the camera she uses does not do real well on close ups. She has a digital now and I would like to buy her a nice camera for our anniversary, any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks

· Registered
5,779 Posts
Most cameras are pretty good today. I have a Canon S3is and it does everything I need.

If close up is what you are looking for, check out the "Macro" setting on the camera you are interested.

My Canon has a macro, and I think, a "Super Macro" setting.

· Premium Member
385 Posts
My wife work's with flowers also and she was interested in this camera, it has a Carl Zeiss lense http://www.adorama.com/ISODSCW230B.html?emailquote=Y not a bad price and it takes quality photo's I wanted to purchase a DSLR for her but she didn't want this big bulky camera to haul around to her weddings so I bought the DSLR for myself

· Premium Member
5,595 Posts
What does she have now? Most digital cameras have a macro function. Usually they're turned on and off with the little flower setting, whether on the dial or on the menu. I'd like to pick up a nice digital Canon Rebel. I already have a nice Canon EOS Elan 7e, awesome camera, but 35mm film. My lenses will work with the Rebel digital camera line though, so I can save money there. :thumbsup: My son just picked up an almost new Nikon D40 outfit off Craigslist for $375. He's taking a photography class in school. Nice camera there, too, but now he's going to spend more on lenses. I told him to keep it nice, then sell/trade up later on as he can afford it.

· Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I have this camera and love it!
Amazon.com: Canon Powershot SX110IS 9MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black): Electronics
This is the second Canon I've owned and I'm now hooked on them. I too would love a Rebel but I have no lenses and the initial investment would be too much.
This Canon has a 10x optical zoom which is fantastic when you need it! In her case she'll use the macro function as stated earlier and be fine.

Not to muddy the waters but I will also throw in a plug for the Carl Zeiss lens. I use an 8-year old Sony at work with a Zeiss lens and that thing takes excellent shots!

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Look for one that suits her "style".

I love my Wife to death, but when it comes to anything technical, she's completely lost. Showed her a million times, but she still has no idea how to get the pics from the camera to the computer.

The average $150 "pocket" camera has enough features to satisfy the average snapshot taker.

On the other hand, if she rolls up her sleeves, plugs in the mig welder and hangs new quarters because she's bored, you probably should get something with lots of buttons and features.

One thing is for sure. The advancements in digital cameras is so rapid, that a $600 camera bought today, will probably be outclassed by a $100 camera in about 2 years.

A friend of ours has a digital SLR that she paid $1500 for a few years back. When my Wife showed here what she used to take pictures with, our friend was blown away by the results of an automatic pocket camera that cost 1/10th of what she spent.

Point here is if you don't go crazy on one right now, you can upgrade a few years down the road after you can assess if that's worth the additional money.

Last point is size. It might seem pretty cool to have some big ol' state of the art camera for a while, but most people start leaving them in the closet or on the shelf, because it's too big a hassle to cart it around.

· Premium Member
1,545 Posts
I bought a Canon SX10 because of it's amazing zoom lens (20X optical) and have been extremely happy with it. Turns out the rest of the features are equally impressive!

Excellent Macro capabilities

Top notch exposure control

Great lens coating

Superb detail 10 MP

The 20X zoom is astounding!

One camera that truly does it all.

Dan

· Administrator
14,429 Posts
I'd recommend you get a camera that also has a regular viewfinder in addition to the screen on the back. On my camera at least, the screen is useless in bright sunlight.
x2 on that. The $150 Olympus I bought for Mary does not have the view finder and it is the only thing she does not like; however she did learn to work around it and loves the small size. If fits in an eye glass case and takes better photos then my 10 year old $1000 (at the time) SLR digital.

· Premium Member
195 Posts
I am a Nikon guy and the make some great cameras, check out their web site and then go to Amazon. I have purchased several cameras off Amazon. The D-80 is very nice. I have a D-300 now but that is way too much for you wife.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.