Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having problems with getting the brake system up and going.... got the frt disk working fine, but the rear i can only get a trickle of fluid out of the bleeder so i took the rear wheel cyl off and then depressed the pedal, same just a trickle of fluid out of the open line, so i started removeing lines thinking there was a blockage, took them all off the car to the valve on the frame, no blockage, then i took the lines from the master cyl to the valve and the valve off, no blockage, so i figured the valve was bad and put a differant valve on and put it all back together and still have the same problem, verry little fluid flow out of the bleeder.... is it suppose to be this way???? has anybody got any ideas, brakes are not my hottest subject
Thanks Darryl

------------------

Two Things Dad Always said dont lend,, Your Car And Your Wife...

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
'69 Chevelles factory equipped with front disc brakes are equipped with a pressure regulator valve mounted via a bracket to the master cylinder. The purpose of it is to basically restrict pressure to the front discs until the slack is taken up in the rear drums. There is a plunger on the back of this valve which is covered by a small rubber boot. This plunger must be depressed while bleeding the brakes per the Chevy service manual. I wedge a wood shim between the boot and brake booster to hold it depressed while bleeding. Or you could have someone push on it and hold with their finger.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
check the rubber hose from frame line to rear end line. Sometimes they look good on the outside but close up on the inside. Replace it anyway if it is old.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have tried the button on the back of the valve and no go also i have got a trickle of fluid at the rear now that i blew out all the lines, is it suppose to flow a stream when you are bleeding the rears or just a little???

------------------

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
You don't get a lot at the rear. Nothing like the front. As long as your not getting any air bubbles it's worth a try. You can put it on jack stands and test the brakes.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Von, have tested them and cant get enoughf to lock the rear hubs, the brakes are adjusted out, i have replaced everything from the valve back twice and replaced the master cyl & the valve and have tried about everything i know including new wheel cyl as well, but when i brake the line loose at the rubber hose on the 12bolt i have good fluid flow, through the rubber i have good flow but when i assemble the whole system its a NO-GO, i also have a good pedal as well,,,
I Think I Have a Ghost screwing with it when i get frustrated and walk off.... Darryl

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.