Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, bought a 69 SS parts car YEARS ago that I am now thinking of making road worthy again. The original front bench seat was gone and I am looking for a complete seat to recover. Am I limited to 68-72 A body cars, Chevy, Olds, Buicks , Pontiac's as a donor or will other year models bolt in a take a 69 seat cover.....thanks......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guys, bought a 69 SS parts car YEARS ago that I am now thinking of making road worthy again. The original front bench seat was gone and I am looking for a complete seat to recover. Am I limited to 68-72 A body cars, Chevy, Olds, Buicks , Pontiac's as a donor or will other year models bolt in a take a 69 seat cover.....thanks......
I just installed a 66-67 bench in my 72 convertible. Bolted right in and no headrests.

·
Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,884 Posts
Any 64-72 a-body benches will all bolt right in...
2 door Chevelles & elcaminos all got split bench seats. Base model BOP cars also got basic split benches, but the higher trim BOP cars usually got arm rest benches, which won't take chevelle covers, although you can still bolt them in the car, and restore with a BOP A-body cover of your liking. Arm Rests are nice...

Here is the breakdown year by year for chevelle bench seats:
64-66 have no seatback locks, and no provisions for headrests, but otherwise will accept 69 covers
67-68 have locks, and have the provision for headrests but usually do not have the headrest hardware inside them, but will accept 69 covers
69-70 are the same, headrests were standard
71-72 can accept 69 covers, but you need to make sure you order 71/72 buns when rebuilding, as the 71/72 upper cushions are different design than the earlier.

hope that helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any 64-72 a-body benches will all bolt right in...
2 door Chevelles & elcaminos all got split bench seats. Base model BOP cars also got basic split benches, but the higher trim BOP cars usually got arm rest benches, which won't take chevelle covers, although you can still bolt them in the car, and restore with a BOP A-body cover of your liking. Arm Rests are nice...

Here is the breakdown year by year for chevelle bench seats:
64-66 have no seatback locks, and no provisions for headrests, but otherwise will accept 69 covers
67-68 have locks, and have the provision for headrests but usually do not have the headrest hardware inside them, but will accept 69 covers
69-70 are the same, headrests were standard
71-72 can accept 69 covers, but you need to make sure you order 71/72 buns when rebuilding, as the 71/72 upper cushions are different design than the earlier.

hope that helps
Thanks Ram, BIG help.....great info. Im looking locally for a candidate.......

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My 70 El Camino seat is not a split bench. I can't tell if its original or not but certainly appears to be.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,022 Posts
Bandit a few yrs ago I sent a TC member a 69 bench seat to Lake Havasu for a 70 LS6 resto via Greyhound, it was fairly cheap but I had to separate the seat backs from the seat and wrap cardboard around the seats for shipping protection, then take them to a main Greyhound hub, Tampa for me so I'd take up Ricks offer if he don't mind doing all that cause you'll have the Correct seat at a Low cost, BTW in the 80's I put a leather Chrys. Cordoba or Charger elec. split bench W/ AR's in my 73 467 Elky bolted in a few factory holes and I drilled a cpl. but width was a very good fit... and the Caddy Red Velour seat in my 58 Apache that looked like a Whore House on the inside LOL :ROFLMAO: :devilish:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bandit a few yrs ago I sent a TC member a 69 bench seat to Lake Havasu for a 70 LS6 resto via Greyhound, it was fairly cheap but I had to separate the seat backs from the seat and wrap cardboard around the seats for shipping protection, then take them to a main Greyhound hub, Tampa for me so I'd take up Ricks offer if he don't mind doing all that cause you'll have the Correct seat at a Low cost, BTW in the 80's I put a leather Chrys. Cordoba or Charger elec. split bench W/ AR's in my 73 467 Elky bolted in a few factory holes and I drilled a cpl. but width was a very good fit... and the Caddy Red Velour seat in my 58 Apache that looked like a Whore House on the inside LOL :ROFLMAO: :devilish:
Thanks, I reread Ricks post. He said it needed new/better rails, are rails the actual sliding section that bolts to the frame and to the floor? Im thinking hunting down a set of those that I know will fit may be problematic more so than finding something complete that will bolt right in. I would think there would be a bigger supply of bench seats as many folks wish to convert over to buckets. But the Greyhound bus shipping sounds great, if that is still available.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The rails to my 70 bench were rusted to the floor and it took a cut off wheel to remove the seat. But I only cut the lower portion that can be replaced with new parts.

Rick

·
Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,884 Posts
My 70 El Camino seat is not a split bench. I can't tell if its original or not but certainly appears to be.

Rick

Just to clarify... When I say "split bench" , I'm meaning the upper cushion/seat back is split and they fold forward.

Which is different from a 4door bench seat which has one long upper cushion that doesn't fold forward and the arm rest benches.

A 60/40 split bench literally is two completely separate & self contained seats so they can slide and fold independent of each other, which GM didn't use until 1978+

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,022 Posts
The leather Chrys seats I put in my 73 Elky were 60/40, 60/40's are very nice seats

1 - 13 of 13 Posts