Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a single 16" electric fan which does well at cooling my car down after every 1/4 mile pass. However, the fan does not keep the car cool driving on the street. I think I need something like a dual fan that will push a LOT of air to keep 12.5:1 compression and my 468 BBC cooled down. I'm running a CSR elec pump, a Moroso restrictor plate, and a Griffin 31x19" alum radiator. Help me out with a good fan suggestion guys!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sean,

I spoke to a bunch of racers who have fast cars at the track and drive them on the street. Most of them pointed me to a factory electric fan from a 1993Lincoln Mark VIII. It moves like 4500 cfm of air on high and it is a two speed fan.

It is kinda wide (4.0 inch), I did have to trim some of the plastic to make it fit. However, I did buy a big relay and a big amp fuze to make everything safe.

You can find them on e-bay but usually they come without the heavy duty wiring harness.

If you have any particular questions let me know and I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've heard of running those fans before. Thanks. Need a measurement, though.

I'm running a Griffin universal alum radiator, #1-55272-x, the 31-19", the one with two 1.25" tubes. I was wondering if someone running the same radiator could measure from inside of tank to inside of tank. I'm trying to figure out how much space I have for a dual electric fan, but I don't have my car near me (it's 3.5 hours north at a body shop). I'm looking for the distance between the tanks. I'm also 99.99% certain the radiators for g-bodies and a-bodies are the same measurements...

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
hey sean, that lincoln is hard to beat.i'm betting you'll have enough room for it your car. i looked at them pretty hard for my chevelle ,but it's just too deep for my app. check out ebay as stated. they usaully have the measurements for the fans listed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had problems for a long time then i installed a factory duel fans/shroud off a 95 windstar and its been perf ever since. Took a little fab work but nothing anyone cant do and works and looks good. Theres more info in the search on these, have a look some pics up too i believe. Had to upgrade to a new style alternator too tho. When the fans both on hi they suck a lot of juice but it was well worth it. The best part was i got one from the autowrecker for 50$.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Lincoln Mark VIII is great if you have the room, alternator, and relay for it. It's a current-hungry SOB but could probably pull your car forward if you don't have it in park or the e-brake on. :p

For aftermarket stuff, Spal is the only way to fly as they are an OEM supplier. Nearly all aftermarket electric fans are WAY overrated in terms of flow, Spal is the only outfit that is true to the listed specs and their motors are the most reliable. Derale, Flex-A-Lite, etc are all overrated. Been there, junked those...

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love it....I call Jegs and give them the Griffin part number, and they tell me Griffin went bankrupt. I call Summit and get put on terminal hold. Fug both of them. I'll call Griffin in the morning. Sonsabitches anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I got the BeCool twin unit on my 4-row Modine, 468 10.5:1, can't get it to overheat. Last year at the NW ACES, it was 90* or so, and idling, the fan would come on and off.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy who's doing the body work is measuring the radiator as we speak, and I will probably be ordering a SPAL today....hopefully.

He measured 26x18 (the radiator sits down in the craddle slightly)x4 (clearance between the radiator and the pulleys). That SPAL measures 25 7/8 x 17 3/8 x 4....talk about a tight fit!!! Anyway, just ordered one from fleebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUAL...-30102130_W0QQitemZ300087009023QQcmdZViewItem

$277 shipped. Not too bad.

And no offense, guys, but I currently have the 16" half of the windstar fan on my car. The entire setup fit like fido's arse, so I cut it in half to allow for better fit. The 16" works fine for drag racing, but I do drive the car on the street occassionally. I got nothing but heartache at last years graffiti weekend, so I'm going with this setup to see if it's going to solve the problems.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
why not get the same setup that's on your GN? that's a dual fan setup, isn't it?
or even one of the bolt on aftermarket upgrades that are available for those cars?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Overheating at idle usually indicates low airflow.
Overheating at speed usually indicates insufficient cooling capacity as there is normally plenty of airflow going down the highway. I don't think it's the fan.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
I put an overide switch for stop and go traffic it would go to 200 and drop to 170 and climb back up the overide switch keeps it at 160 to 170 no problems. Becool, twin fans, 454

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Overheating at idle usually indicates low airflow.
Overheating at speed usually indicates insufficient cooling capacity as there is normally plenty of airflow going down the highway. I don't think it's the fan.
Seeing's how I didn't elaborate on exactly when the over-heating was happening, that's a pretty bold statement. ;)

yanniz, the windstar I had was double, as well. I could not get it to fit with my setup so I cut it in half and used the larger fan.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts

This flex-a-lite 220 puller works with my motor in hot weather traffic.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Lincoln Mark VIII is great if you have the room, alternator, and relay for it. It's a current-hungry SOB but could probably pull your car forward if you don't have it in park or the e-brake on. :p

For aftermarket stuff, Spal is the only way to fly as they are an OEM supplier. Nearly all aftermarket electric fans are WAY overrated in terms of flow, Spal is the only outfit that is true to the listed specs and their motors are the most reliable. Derale, Flex-A-Lite, etc are all overrated. Been there, junked those...
I agree with everything Gokou said.

When I went to an electric water pump, I had to ditch the M8 fan due to lack of room. I went to the dual Spal setup and it's been great. Less current draw, and it cools very well. In fact, the only time the 2nd fan switched on(180° switch) was during the summer street driving. Of course, the best fan in the world won't cure a poor radiator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts