Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 has been completely stripped of all wires. What is available to do a complete rewiring of this car. Ive heard there are repro wire harnesses out there. are these the way to go for an amature, or should I look for a complete harness set that has been pulled from another 70.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
It will probably be non existant to find a good, complete harness in a recycle yard. I recommend M&H wiring harness', www.wiringharness.com is the website, the harness is basically plug and play. Good luck.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Do NOT go back to a used set from another 70 from the bone yard. These sets maybe worst than what you took out! And, if you are putting any upgrades in your car, you will need a more modern sized system to do such IMO.

I like Centech wiring because it's designed correctly, is quality stuff, and is easy to put in. But, it's not plug and play as one poster put it! I used it on my Dad's 55 and a myriad of streetrods.

I think American Autowire/Factory Fit would have a complete kit that is plug and play.....but lot's of bucks!

Good luck! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
All new wiring harnesses are probably the best fire insurance you can buy. The plastic on the old wires gets dried out and cracked causing shorts. The terminal ends get corroded, bent and broken. Year One and others sell complete new harnesses that just plug right in.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds likes new is the way im going. since the dash is out, im going to switch from sweep to round gauges, so I will hold off on ordering a new harness until I know what dash cluster I end up with.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I recently re-wired my whole car using the painless 18ckt kit. It was a breeze, and I'm super happy with the new style electrical system. If you're looking for the original look and operation - I wouldn't go with the painless kit - but if you are looking to bring your car into the 21st century - I'd definitely check it out.

I have pictures and everything available as well, if you'd be interested in checking them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts