Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone recommends some articles for installing a new headliner in a 65 300 deluxe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
There are several good You Tube videos at 45 minutes or so in length covering Chevelle headliner installations.

You will need LOTS of small spring loaded clamps. I think I bought 50 at maybe 50 cents each at Lowes or Home Depot. It takes a lot of these to hold tension on the fabric to remove wrinkles while the adhesive dries.

I definitely recommend the videos from Jefferson Bryant and David Lis.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Either go to a local upholstery shop and ask to buy a quart of their glue, or purchase a gallon of Weldwood Landau top adhesive......no substitutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for the information! I'm happy to receive more advice if anybody else has some.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
There's a sticky in the interior section that has covered virtually every aspect. Take your time, read and follow the advice. With the glue I mentioned, you can readjust and stretch it over and over again until your happy.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
I used actual brush on contact cement on my 67. Worked extremely well. I dont even think I would have needed the spring clips. Its tight as a drum. Right or wrong it worked for me. First timer.

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Ensure when you order the headliner it's for a Deluxe in the words a 2 door sedan sometimes called a post coupe. And not a two door hard top.

I've use 3M weatherstrip adhesive a.k.a gorilla snot. Let's you move and readjust things. I use one inch binder clips from an office supply. Lots of them, like one per every inch.

The screws for dome light, visors and coat hooks should be installed first. It is much easier to locate a screw and cut a little X than to locate an empty screw hole. Use lots of camps, stretch, let is sit for a while (like a whole day)to relax, glue and stretch again. The as mentioned videos show how to do this. Take you time.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
I did the screw thing but it's still a weird feeling cutting into a new headliner. I actually used an awl I heated up to put the holes in. Works great and "cauterized " it to prevent tearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts