Team Chevelle banner

need advice

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Mstehle 
#1 ·
ok so im 15 less than 6 months till i get my license and my dad just bought us a 1970 chevelle to share and i need advice on this. first of all my dad is awsome he bought this as a project for the both of us to work on until i get my license and when i do i will be driving the chevelle place to place and i am getting kind of nervouse about driving it. it seems like it is so much responsibility to drive one of these awsome cars with so much care and i am nervouse i might crash it or blow something in the engine if im not careful and i dont know if im ready to drive a chevelle yet. i have always dreamed of having a chevelle of my own and now im getting spooked by the idea that i will have one. most of you guys drove these as first cars but that was wen they were new and all around the world now they are so high valued im nervouse in driving this and messing it up. i need your advice thanks

#2 ·
My first car was a 64 Chevelle. I bought it with my own money, and fixed it up with my Dad's supervision. (notice I didn't say "help") The more you work on it, the more you will appreciate it. Don't sweat it. You'll be fine. Just realize that if you wreck it, it's gone. You can't just go out and get another one. Take it easy at first, respect the machinery, and it will take care of you. :thumbsup: :D

#3 ·
Nick, consider yourself one lucky kid to have a dad like that.

I'm going to guess that the Chevelle you're getting is not a matching numbers LS-6. In that case build it how you want it or how dad will let you, drive it, and love every minute of it. If something breaks or gets a dent, you fix it not a big deal.

Not all of us are old enough to have driven these cars when they were new.;) My first car was a '82 Buick Skylark with a 4 cyl. in it, talk a bout a hot rod.:noway:

Just try and be careful, young kids tend to think they're invincible but it only takes a second to lose control.

#5 ·
Hundreds of thousands of people have driven Chevelles succesfully every day in the history of mankind. You'll do just fine. All of these older cars have a unique 'feel' about them. You just start slow and get used to it. very simple, don't sweat it at all.

You ARE lucky to have a Dad like that. Hope you both enjoy the heck out of it!

#8 ·
Heck, practically every time I take mine out some yahoo tries to turn it into scrap metal. Don't sweat it Nick, if an accident is gonna happen, there really isn't anything you can do to avoid it. Get you hands dirty and enjoy it when it's finished or while you restore it. Use the time to find out all about your dad, you'll be surprised how much closer you'll get to be with the old man when working on a hotrod!! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
word of advice. Some fool is going to want to race you in the chevelle. Hate to say it, but it will happen. When it happens, just putt away and ignore the idiot. Been there done that. Fortunately never got caught. When I want to have some fun, I just drive it over to the track and do it legally.
Just remember, the chevelle is 38 years old, its stops like a old car, steers like a old car. If you get yourself caught up getting reckless, its real easy to lose it. These things do not turn and stop like the little ricer type cars. So just enjoy the car. jim

#12 ·
If you grew up in Texas in the 60's as I did you learned how to drive in your daddys truck that was a 3 on the tree with no power nothing. It prepared me for the feel of these old cars. You will learn or have learned how to drive in a modern car that will feel and respond nothing like the chevelle you build.

If possible try to find an old car or truck with not as much to lose as your fresh one to familiarize yourself with the old car feel. The car is like your dad, old, and needs to be treated with respect.:thumbsup:

Good Luck.

#13 ·
If you grew up in Texas in the 60's as I did you learned how to drive in your daddys truck that was a 3 on the tree with no power nothing. It prepared me for the feel of these old cars. You will learn or have learned how to drive in a modern car that will feel and respond nothing like the chevelle you build.

If possible try to find an old car or truck with not as much to lose as your fresh one to familiarize yourself with the old car feel. The car is like your dad, old, and needs to be treated with respect.:thumbsup:

Good Luck.
Right on with the advice John. In the 60's I lived with my grandparents in Kansas in the summer and Grandad taught me to drive his 68 Chevy pick up with 3 on the tree and no power anything, and I was 10 years old. I also learned to ride a motorcycle that year too. In the forty years since I have had only one accident that could only be remotely considered my fault, although the lady who hit me laid down 120 feet of skid marks (wonder how fast she was going?).
That experience of learning to drive a challenging vehicle when I was so young has enable me to drive nearly a million miles in many different vehicles with a great safety record. It's a good way for anybody to learn.

Nick, I get the feeling with the attitude and concern that you show, that you will be just fine. You sound like a great kid and it also sounds like your dad trusts you to make good decisions. I agree with the others who said get your hands dirty and spend the time with your dad. The rewards of doing this will last a lifetime and will also be something you can pass on to your kids as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.