Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a few persistent problems with my electrical system I've decided to fix things properly this time. I'd like to replace the wiring for the charging system, starter, and the ignition system (everything else is still good). Bear with me, I'm not sure how all these are connected. I see in the catalogs an "engine wiring harness". Is this what I would need? What else would be need to be replaced with these systems (I can think of the alternator and voltage regulator off-hand)?

I would like a correct harness for the car so no painless kits. This brings up my other question, which is, I'm not using the factory points distributor. Now I'm using an Ignitor ignition along with a MSD 6AL. (Actually installing the MSD is what started my problems off...should have taken a little more time with it
) What would be the simplest way to wire these in? What about the resistor wire that would go to the coil on a points distributor...should I use something else besides that to power the igniton?

Thanks guys.

------------------
1969 Caprice 4400LBS!!
454/M-20
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105
323HP @ 5200RPM
382lb-ft @ 3300RPM at the wheels!
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

[This message has been edited by LTLCRZY427 (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
One suggestion is to talk to M & H. Tell them what you have under the hood. They can modify a standard harness to fit your car. Maybe you want to consider a 1-wire alternator as long as you are getting custom harnesses. www.wiringharness.com

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, 6AL works with the ignitor...it's even in the instruction manual finally.

------------------
1969 Caprice 4400LBS!!
454/M-20
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105
323HP @ 5200RPM
382lb-ft @ 3300RPM at the wheels!
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I had good results buying a forward engine harness, year & model specific to my 72 Chevelle with M.T. and no A/C, from National Parts Depot. It included all factory correct connectors, terminated at the correct lengths. I plugged it into my firewall plug & everything else hooked up perfectly.

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts