Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to make an attempt to replace my old, worn-out dash and firewall insulation. I have a diagram(exploded view) but I want to know if there is anything that I should know to keep out of trouble. The car is a '72
Chevelle, no A/C, mono speaker. Any advice?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great Question!!!
While somebody is at it, tell me how to remove non-air kick panels without breaking them.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Please visit my homepage sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Member #521, ACES #1994

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Start with taking out the dashpad, it is held on by a row of screws along the leading edge just in front of the vertical dash face. Once you get the screws out, pull gently while lifting, that should get it out. At this point, take a couple of pictures, then countiue by unbolting everything else in your way. As for the kick panel on the driver side you need to remove the e-brake assembly, then unscrew around the vent then pull very genlty while pulling out. There is an adhesive around the vent which will make the kick panel feel like it is stuck. Good luck. If there are no screws around the vent sorry, I just took the kick panels out of my 68 Camaro, didn't run out to look at my El Camino.

Steve R.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
You'll also have to drop the steering column. I spent about four hours in a boneyard one Saturday afternoon removing one from a four door. Bolts everywhere, and you'll have to be careful not to break off pieces of plastic. My best advice is to take your time.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Ok here is some info..
As stated, remove dash pad by removing the screws in the cluster area and also inside the glovebox. Lift up a little and pull straight toward you and the pad will come off..now the fun stuff!
I always remove the dash with the wiring
intact, causes less problems. so here goes!
1. unscrew ebrake handle from lever
2. remove radio speaker so you can remove the speaker bracket
3. remove bolt in engine compartment holding front harnesses to fuse box
4.remove 2 bolts holding fuse box to firewall
5. remove ground wire bolted to ebrake assy,
remove wires from door jam switches
6. remove plastic cover under steering column, and remove 2 nuts to lower column NOTE if you have a column shifter, remove the phillips head screw attatched to the rotating part of the column to release the shift indicator...if you forget it will break when the column comes down.
7. remove wiring to ignition switch on column and stop light switch.
8. remove bolts holding dash to car..1 on each end from underneath near front edge, 1 thorough pedal mounting bkt, 2 more through supporting brackets, accessable from above. Look at the dash metal framing and you will find them.
9. Dash should move away from the car..just move it out enough to
10.disconnect speedo cable
11.either remove heater controls from dash plastic or leave in dash and remove connecting cables from heater box. I like to leave them in the dash so I dont have to take off any wiring.
12. unplug intermediate harness from dash harness, flat plug by fuse box.
Dash should come out completely unless I forgot something
***this is off the top of my head, so go slow! from what I remember there are only the 5 bolts I mentioned holding the dash in, but if the dash doesnt seem to come out then double check for another bolt. I believe I covered everything else. 30 min job once you have done it.

For your kickpanel question, before removing them take off the windshield pillar trim, and the sill plate...then once you have all the screws off you can wiggle the kick panel out without breaking the plastic..and as stated to get the drivers side off you have to remove the ebrake assy. Good luck!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks guys. I printed this all out so that I can take it with me to the garage.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale),1992 Taurus SHO
Please visit my homepage sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Member #521, ACES #1994

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.