Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a nice loud rumble from my built 283. I heard Flowmasters were my best bet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Flowmasters are great. Choose 2 chamber for a LOUD and 3 chamber for a little softer. Also, if you want extra loud, try running no tailpipes (no pipe after mufflers).

A friend of mine has the 2 chamber with full pipes on his 66 with 283 and it sounds nice.

Good luck,

------------------
Jon, 66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, Birthplace of many a Chevelle
members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd have to say go with the 2 or 3 chamber flowmasters. I have a set of 2 chambers on my big block now and they give it a great throaty sound. I had a set of 3 chambers on a 327 in my first Chevelle and even those gave it a good sound. Good luck with whatever you decide

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeah, flowmasters sound awesome! I had them on my stock 2bbl 350 and they sounded great. if they sound a little lean on the 283, get a set of 4" exhaust tips, they make the sound much more throaty. my car would pass for a big block. it sounded a hell of a lot better than the 396 i have now pumping through stock exhaust.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have 3 chamber flowmasters on my 64 - 283 and it gets mistaken for everything from 350s to big blocks, but never a 283! PS, I do have full length exhaust pipes and headers.

------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Bobby,

My 65 has flowmaster 2 chambers with complete 2-1/4" system. Also has Hooker competion headers. With original 283 it was louder than I wanted it to be but sounded great. Now with new 300/350 target engine it is louder still. I like the sound but if I had it to do over again I'd go with the 3 chambers.
mgg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got a built 350 with 3 inch pipe and 3 inch, 3 chamber Flows, with no tail pipes...
If you want LOUD and mean, try that!
One problem... don't do it, it's TOO loud.
I'm thinking about that 2 1/2 inch Flow. system.
Phil

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.