Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a pressure washer for general use around the property - cleaning the driveway/sidewalks/decks/siding/truck/cars/etc. Do I really need something with 3500psi or will one with say 2000psi be ok? Any particular brand better than another?

Just don't feel like shelling out more cash than necessary.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
1) Do not buy electric.
2) Do not buy China or foreign.
3) Be sure there are parts available locally.
4) 2000 - 2400 psi should be plenty... remember - even if there is lots of pressure, if you don't have enough water it doesn't clean very well.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I have a small electric, had for close to 10 years. It's all I need, it will blow holes in the deck if you're not careful and my deck is redwood, not soft treated pine. I've used it to clean cement, mortar and brick. Careful on mortar and brick, it'll eat into those too.

Nice thing about a pressure washer is it doesn't need much water. You can clean a large area without creating puddles. Use just a hose and you'll have puddles in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
The electric ones have a bad reputation. There was a post here a couple years back and one of the guys is a servicing dealer; his remark was that he never found a really good elelctric one. I have a 1600psi Karcher electric and it lasted about 2 years before it went haywire.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
If you want to clean second floor siding you need more power, my 2300 PSI just can't reach it, my pressure washer works fine for car duties.

Make sure you keep it in a place that wont freeze in the winter, I froze my pressure valve and it cracked last year.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Be very careful, I accidently ran my Honda powered one for a minute or so with the water supply off. It now leaks badly and I have a like-new Honda engine on a near worthless piece of equipment.

I know, no one else would do something so dumb.:)

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
Pressure is one thing but GPH (gallon perhour) is very important = VOLUME dont go too low on that spec

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Like I said.... it is not all about psi.... you have to have water coming through the nozzle to clean anything.

R.E. - take the pump to a service shop and have them rebuild it. I should be good as new and then you will have a new pump with an almost new honda engine.

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
I have a 2400 psi with a 6 horse Briggs gas engine from Lowes, cost about $240. Does everything I want it to, at full force will etch and spall concrete and cut into wood, first two lessons I learned. As said you need to make sure water is on before turning on engine. You can store it out doors in winter if you crank all the water out of it and then fill it with RV antifreeze while cranking. That's what my instructions said and I've had mine outside in the shed throught 4 Idaho winters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts