Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a kill switch to my MSD ignition. Can i use any switch and any wire, or should they allow a certain amount of amperage to run through it..i just don't want the car to burn down

·
Registered
25 Posts
As you may or may not be aware, to kill the MSD unit (I have a 6A) all you have to do is ground out the white wire. For my application, the white wire was unused and can be easily extracted from the MSD wiring bundle.) I just installed a simple heavy-duty toggle switch (radio shack) between the white wire and a good ground. (This will allow the engine to turn over but never start - a big PITA if you forget that you have the switch on!) The white wire itself is only about 18-20 guage standard automotive wire. I used a slighty thicker gauge to connect to ground. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Another approach is to break the 12 volt wire that energizes the MSD box. That wire is a 12 volt switched wire and w/o juice there the engine cannot start. I know this works cause I disconnected the one on my Vette when fooling with the distributor cover. Lots of cranking but no fire in the hole.

This is a very low voltage wire and it only signals the box that the ignition is on. I am NOT talking about the 12 volt wire that goes from the battery positive to the box. Leave that alone. That wire actually operates the electronics inside the MSD box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts