Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to go with a hyd. roller cam for my 383. Motor will see 50% street driving and 50% drag racing. Would like to go with something that will spin towards 6,000+ rpms, give or take a little. I know you run into problems spining a hyd. roller that high so any ideas on a cam?

Would also perfer billet core and a lsa around 110. Engine specs below:

-motor comp 10.5 to 1
-dart iron eagle 180/64cc
-edel. rpm intake
-holley 750dp
-1 5/8 headers

-3000 stall in trans with a 3.55 gear out back going in a 1970 elky

Would also like any ideas on roller lifters, brand?

Thanks

Evan

·
Vendor
9,393 Posts
Evan,
How north of 6000 do you want to go? With the Morel lifters and spring seat pressure in the 160#range you won't have any problems spinning to mid 6000 range.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would really like to stay around 6500 or a little under, just wanted some ideas on cams and lifters, ive looked through jegs and summit, just wanted some honest opinions.

thanks guys

evan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i talked to tim at bullet cams and it sounds like they are the guys to use, but i dont know about spending $525 on morel lifters...is it really necessary. I would spend the money on them but just curious why they are so expensive, just trying to spare some money for other parts. Crane and Comp both have hyd. roller lifters in the $300 dollar price range. I know in the performance industry that more expensive usually means better, but not always, just curious. (do they have a different way of oiling?)

thanks

evan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they told me that the morel lifters were a good design and worth it, i just wanted to here what you guys had to say.

thanks

evan

·
Registered
875 Posts
I run a Comp XE282HR in my 10 to 1 385. It's in a 70' El Camino, in front of a 700R4, with a 3.42 posi 12 bolt. Last Saturday on a chassis dyno, my rear wheel numbers were, 352 hp & 405 tq ...with a bit left on the table. Dyno operater mentioned those were good, for such an engine. Something to chew on.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
I don't see why you would need the $$$ lifters on 160# valve springs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what kind of lifter do you use on that elcamino brimac or what kind do you recomend. My car is the same green with silver on the bottom.

thanks

evan

·
Registered
875 Posts
what kind of lifter do you use on that elcamino brimac or what kind do you recomend. My car is the same green with silver on the bottom.

thanks

evan
Evan,

I believe they're Comp Cams #853, .. for retro applications. They seem to be doing ok. So, no cons at this time. Stepping up to a stroker from a mild 350, is something to look forward to. My previous 350 ran an 9.50 1/8th. This 385, so far has gone 8.33 ... trans govenor shifting only at 5000. With better traction, and higher shift points ... times should go down a bit. However, my attention is now focused on the 540 project which should go 6.80's or so.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm running a voodoo hr picked by Harold in my 383, it's 232/239 @ 050, .530 / .550 lift, on 110. Using Morel lifters. Yes, the whole setup cost a small fortune.

I like it. Still dailing in the efi, so I haven't leaned on her much yet. 11" of vac @ 800 rpm idle, very strong off the bottom, revs like a mad dog when I put my foot in it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Hi Evan, we recently had some feedback from one of my customer's units in an early "street-rod" with a BDS "blown" 355 SB.

This "ride" has the Comp 853's (retro's) mentioned above by Brian with a "steel blank" core.

He runs this around town regularly on 93 and hits most of the major tracks here in the Northeast. It tips the scales at 3450, runs 10.20's all day long without "breaking a sweat", and has NOT been touched inside the powerplant since 2001 when I built it for him!

As I said, it has the Comps 853 retro's inside with a "Blue-Racer" steel cam. The cam specs are:242*/250* @ .050" x .560"/.580" x 108L/S.

Until very recently, normally you would find this "ride" with a 7000 RPM "chip" in place, and with all the years running it does hit that "chip" from time to time! Has NEVER skipped a beat with respect to "valve-float" at 7000.

Most recently he installed an 8000 chip along with a gear change at the back and just passed along the results so far. This unit hits that chip with the 853's which means the lifters are "hanging-out" fine up to that range!

The owner of this "ride" is not only a good customer, but a good friend as well. Among some of his other good friends is Rob Moroso, who asked him to allow Moroso to use the car in 2 of their catalogs (before this 2001 build, with the original unit I built him in place), the "Rodware" section of one and the cover of another.

(Add) Evan, with all the components you have listed above and a "retro" cam with a 234*/242* @ .050" x .540"/.560" x 112 L/S you will see 500 HP and most likely at about 6100 RPM. Been there and done it a few times!

Read the P.S. below about the "zero" lash retro's some manufacturers, including Comp, sells. These are really designed for "class" racing with strict rules!!

Comp sells them as their "Pro-Magnum" series under the part #885-16. The Comp "High-Energy" series #853-16's are the only ones we use now on the "retro's"!! I usually avoid pricing here, but if you shop around you should be able to pick these up anywhere for less than $450.00. I have many sets out for 8 to 10 years now with NOT a single failure or complaint! I have them on both "cast" and "steel" cam platforms, but do prefer the "steel"!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I believe "Morel" makes Comps lifters BUT I would warn you and others up here to NOT use any of the Morel OR Comp "anti-pump" series. I recently had to remove 2 sets from 2 units NOT built here due to an "unsatisfactory" noise level. I'll put a "shot" here of this "Long Island" coupe!

·
Vendor
9,393 Posts
Hi Evan, we recently had some feedback from one of my customer's units in an early "street-rod" with a BDS "blown" 355 SB.

This "ride" has the Comp 853's (retro's) mentioned above by Brian with a "steel blank" core.

He runs this around town regularly on 93 and hits most of the major tracks here in the Northeast. It tips the scales at 3450, runs 10.20's all day long without "breaking a sweat", and has NOT been touched inside the powerplant since 2001 when I built it for him!

As I said, it has the Comps 853 retro's inside with a "Blue-Racer" steel cam. The cam specs are:242*/250* @ .050" x .560"/.580" x 108L/S.

Until very recently, normally you would find this "ride" with a 7000 RPM "chip" in place, and with all the years running it does hit that "chip" from time to time! Has NEVER skipped a beat with respect to "valve-float" at 7000.

Most recently he installed an 8000 chip along with a gear change at the back and just passed along the results so far. This unit hits that chip with the 853's which means the lifters are "hanging-out" fine up to that range!

The owner of this "ride" is not only a good customer, but a good friend as well. Among some of his other good friends is Rob Moroso, who asked him to allow Moroso to use the car in 2 of their catalogs (before this 2001 build, with the original unit I built him in place), the "Rodware" section of one and the cover of another.

(Add) Evan, with all the components you have listed above and a "retro" cam with a 234*/242* @ .050" x .540"/.560" x 112 L/S you will see 500 HP and most likely at about 6100 RPM. Been there and done it a few times!

Read the P.S. below about the "zero" lash retro's some manufacturers, including Comp, sells. These are really designed for "class" racing with strict rules!!

Comp sells them as their "Pro-Magnum" series under the part #885-16. The Comp "High-Energy" series #853-16's are the only ones we use now on the "retro's"!! I usually avoid pricing here, but if you shop around you should be able to pick these up anywhere for less than $450.00. I have many sets out for 8 to 10 years now with NOT a single failure or complaint! I have them on both "cast" and "steel" cam platforms, but do prefer the "steel"!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I believe "Morel" makes Comps lifters BUT I would warn you and others up here to NOT use any of the Morel OR Comp "anti-pump" series. I recently had to remove 2 sets from 2 units NOT built here due to an "unsatisfactory" noise level. I'll put a "shot" here of this "Long Island" coupe!

Morel does not make comps retro fit rollers. Morels will be noisy at initial breakin and for some road miles as the hyd valving gets seated properly. The Morel hyd roller by far is the best retro fit one can buy. . .period.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the information guys, cstraub i take it you are a big fan of morel lifters, after talking to more people i feel like i need to go with those or crower.

thanks

evan

·
Vendor
9,393 Posts
thanks for all the information guys, cstraub i take it you are a big fan of morel lifters, after talking to more people i feel like i need to go with those or crower.

thanks

evan
I have sold hundreds of sets over the last several years for many types of applications and overall I have less issues with the Morel products then anything else.. . .and it is 100% USA made.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts