Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I need a good heavy duty starter to turn-over my 400 Hi-compression motor in my 67 Chevelle.I dont want to buy a new starter every year if I can avoid it with a quality one that will last at least a couple years. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hi Warren, I have always used the high torque gear reduction starters on all my BB stuff that was a bit stubborn, Ive had several duallys and SS454 P/Us and they all ate a new starter every 6 months, since I switched starters I have changed one starter in 3 years!!!
They cost alittle more but its worth it, worst thing is that when u crank em up they sound like a toyota or a MO-PAR starter,but they do crank up< Good Luck L89SEDAN I live in SW Florida where it is really hot so I imagine a starter every 6 mos sounds a little far fetched to some people but down here in the heat it happens

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have 2 friends and each have high compression BB's with close to 1000hp. One uses a Tilton , the other uses a CSI. Neither has ever had a problem and both have had them for years. I think either one would just fine.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been thru this before...Man! What a pain! The mild 350 in my work truck LOVED the taste of a freshly cooked starter. Ate one every 2-3 months. The parts store voided my lifetime warranty! I installed a heat shield, a new flexplate, heavier battery terminals, and a new battery; nothing helped. This went on for over a year.
Finally, while disconnecting the battery for some unrelated maintenance I noticed that the wire leading from the positive terminal to the terminal block on the core support was gacked. It had maybe 2 strands of copper holding it on the terminal. I replaced that one 12" piece of wire and fixed the problem! My truck hasn't ate a starter since (almost a year now).
(Sorry for the long story, but I DO sympathise. Maybe this'll help you?) Bryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.