1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jarret, thanks but I tried the tag section with no luck. My code is not the standard code, it does'nt fit in anywhere. It was delivered new to the GM tech center in Warren and may have a unique setup.

Tom

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is a strange code the ones I've seen start with letters not numbers. My 72 rear axle code on my p-o-p is RVC090. On my axle housing it reads RVC090 2 E. This breaks down like this RV=posi 3.31:1, C=Buffalo plant, 090=March 31,1972, 2=second shift, E=Eaton positraction. Got my info. from Cheverolet by the numbers 70-75. You can also try this site for info.http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/69_72_chevelle_protect_o_plate_codes.html hope this helps ya out...c-ya

TC #556

Bayou State El camino
les bon temps roulez http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/elky454pic2.jpg

[This message has been edited by elky72ss454 (edited 02-05-2000).]

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Are you sure its the axle code? On a 72 POP the axle code is located on the 2nd line right under the VIN.

What is the code thats on the axle tube assuming you still have the original.

According to the Chevy parts catalog that code 72D30 is not typical of the ones used so its possible its a misprint (human error).

Here's an example of what a 72 POP axle code should be, right out of the Chevy parts catalog;
GH0212G
(GH) = Chevelle 2:72 Positraction
(02)Month = Febuary
(12)Day = 12th
(G) Plant = Chevrolet Gear and Axle

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 02-05-2000).]

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that it is not a typical code,however this car was ordered for Zora Arkus-Duntov. It was his wife's car. My code is located under the vin on the plate but it is definately 72D30. Nothing I have seen or read makes mention of a code like this. If 72 D30 is not the axle code what else could it be? Thanks again

Tom

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Since Zora Duntov ordered the car, could the 72 D30 be some sort of COPO code. The 72 being the year and the D30 being some sort of RPO code. The only probelm with this is the D prefix RPO codes that I have listed are for mirrors and paint stripes, mostly apperence items. Just a shot in the dark.

------------------
Bryan Shook
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the COPO thing might be the answer too. No luck there with the codes either. Just trim like you said. I'll keep hunting, someone will know the answer. That code meant something!!

Tom

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tom,
I checked the protecto plate for my 72 Monte. Under the VIN is the number 72D34. This car was delivered to LT Kolb chevy in Portland Texas; 1/21/72.
I know this car has a non-posi 8.2 rear with 3.36 gears - original.
If you find anything else out, let me know.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
72D30 looks just like a trany code to me?

(72) = 1972
(D) = Engine application 350/250HP
(30) = date code

Do you both have the same engine? Are these two cars build at the same plant?

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 02-06-2000).]

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car is a Malibu 400. Big block 402. The trans, however is an automatic. Car is a Leeds plant car. My car is a 12 bolt rear and believed to be the original. You guys are getting close.

Tom

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Here some more info from the Chevy parts catalog under the tranny POP codes.

72D30 is similar to the example given 69A372 except yours has only 3 digits for the date.
Whats the build date for the car, very early in the model year or very late? The parts catalog states "The assembly date starts with the first day of the calendar year in 1971 and continues through the 1972 calendar year." Example 372 is Jan 7, 1972 and 30 would be Jan 30, 1971 unless your car was built near the end of the 72 model year, it could be Jan 30, 1972 because the tranny was intended to end up in a 73 model. A bit confusing but things like this happended. I have read that 1972 model year was affected by a stike in 1971 and what new style 73 models were supposed to be out as 1972 models.

The D represents the engine or the vehicle.
D = Mailbu
D = TH400 with 402/240hp (Chevelle and Monte Carlo).

When I mentioned the 350 engine I overlooked the fact that was for a full size car, not a A body.

So it appears like the 72D30 is your tranny code? Since Tom K has a very similar code we can probably rule out a special item.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pulled out my p-o-p & the tranny code is under the vin # 72D40 (Feb 9,1971) So I looked on the tranny & it read 72D406 (Feb 10,1972) All my other codes are early in 1972 The latest being on the cowl tag which is 4'th week in April. Could the p-o-p be missing a number ? Ahhh! The mysteries get deeper !
Who really knows ?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How are you getting those dated from those codes? If the trans code goes under the vin on the p o p ,why do all the books show an axle code there? Where would the rear end ratio be on my protecto plate.?

Tom

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just could'nt figure out where Feb 9 1971 came from 72D40. I believe you. I am just trying to learn this. I've usually been pretty good at breaking down the numbers but I cant get this right for some reason. If mine is 72D30, what is the date. What does each letter mean? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just not gettin it. That's what we're here for right? This is supposed to be fun.

Tom

·
Registered
192 Posts
The assembly date code for the 1972 model year starts with the 1'st day of the calender year in 1971 & continues through the 1972 calender year. So 72D40 would be Feb. 9'th (40 days into the year 1971) I believe my p-o-p is missing the number 6. On my tranny the code is 72D406 which is Feb 10, 1972. (406 minus the 365 days of 1971=41 days into the 1972 year or Feb 10,1972) Could be off depending on leap year? You do the math & let me know what you think. I'm not always right. Hope this clears things up for ya. At least you can see where I'm coming from. But I could be wrong. : c-ya

TC #556
Bayou State El camino
les bon temps roulez

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The math works, but is that how the book says to break it down ? Take 365 from 406 to come up with the day? Sounds funny to me. My transmission would have been built in 71 and it has the 72 date on the plate. I'll keep diggin. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.