Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m going to need a book for my 489 build. Wich book do you recomend?

Marcus

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'd recommend any book you find at the book store on BBC builds. The David Emanuel book is good. Other than the 489 rotating assembly (4.25 crank, rods, and .030 over pistons), everything else will be just like building a standard 454. The only difference being that MAYBE some extra clearance will be needed in the bottom of the cylinder bores for the crank. Mine did not need any clearance at all. You can buy rotating 489/496 assemblies anywhere these days. One word of caution is that if you use a GEN V or GEN VI block there are differences in these blocks over the MARK IV that require attention or you can run into some problems. I used a GEN VI block, but bought a book by Mike Mavrigian on rebuilding these "newer" blocks that was big a help. IE, the GEN VI block is set up for a roller cam and will except GEN IV,V, and VI heads, while the GEN 5 block is only recommended to be used with GEN V heads due to changes in the block casting. The GEN VI is also known as the "MARK FIX" because it fixed a lot of problems that were inherent in the MARK 5 block. IMO get a MARK IV or MARK VI block and you are good to go, especially MARK VI if you decide to go roller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts