Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my motor for my 71 Chevelle and found the the timing mark on my harmonic balancer has moved. I am looking for a new balancer and do not know where to start looking. I would like to purchase a new one so I do not have to worry about having another one that has slipped or will slip. I know that I can remark TDC, but feel that I should just purchased a new balancer.
Keith Cooper
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
FWIW, I asked a similar question not too long ago and I was recommended not to get an offshore damper. It was suggested that a OE replacement was the best for a street car that is not raced (much). Good Luck.

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car hobbyists, even those with different cars, is what being a true enthusiast is all about."

·
Registered
348 Posts
AutoZone carries an 8" Dampner Dudes for around $50 for your 350.

------------------
71-72 Malibu
"I'm high all right, but on the real stuff
High octane gasoline
A clean windshield
And a shoe shine"

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
As posted to the your same question in the Performance forum:

Go right to your Chevy dealer and order a new balancer from the parts department.

Here is a link to the GM Performance Parts catalog balancer page I would recommend part number 12555879 (the 8" balancer used on 1970 LT-1's)
https://www.spoperformanceparts.com/store/catalog/Category.jhtml?CATID=895

You can even order it online for $109 ($130 including freight)(about 30% less than a dealerwould sell it) at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

I have always had good luck with new GM Balancers.

[This message has been edited by Bob Tiley (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Tiley:
As posted to the your same question in the Performance forum:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not really a dup post Bob. It was I that suggested to him after a couple of emails to post down in hi-po. That post has a lot more information about the engine and was too dumb to give him a good answer. I'll go back to my corner now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.