Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we bleed the brakes with car running for vacuum it was the only way I got any fluid through to the front wheels the proportioning valve does`nt seem to have any (buttons) to reset nor does the metering valve on the booster I can get a new proportioning valve through Ground up any help is a ppreciated Mike

·
Read Only
589 Posts
First, what year and drum or disk? Have you checked your master cylinder and metal lines? Are your rubber brake lines(the ones that connect to the front cylinders/calipers) colasping under pressure? Whats the condition of the wheel cylinders and/or calipers - new or old? If you lost pressure in the line somewhere, the prop/metering valve should move to one side either alowing all pressure to the front or the back. It takes a lot of pressure to "reset" the valve internally. I'm sure someone out there can elaborate on this better than I. Hope its been of some help.

Tino #28 Gold

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tino It has Power brakes front discs the rubber hoses in front are new I replaced the master last year it has a sep metering -prop valve I am confused on reseting the prop valve or if I need a new one Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like your gonna have to start traceing it down. Disconnect line at caliper, check for squirt. Disconnect line at metering valve, check for squirt, etc.etc back to master cylender.
Harley
Fluid should come through without vacuum assist.

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 08-25-99).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
My car has the combined valve, and I just pump the brakes and it comes flying out of the calipers. How are the calipers, I have had rusty bleeder screws that would not let much fluid through.
Also how are the rear brakes, the porportioning (SP) valve won't let fluid forward until the rear pressure hits a certian point. If the rears are adjusted wrong, leaky etc this could be a problem. Else the valve may be stuck. Get it working right before driving it

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything is in good condition I guess what I need to know is how do you reset the proportioning valve is it done on a 69 where the brake light wire goes? Mike

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Hey bulk could you PLEASE use some punctuation in your posts, I am getting a headache trying to read these 100 word sentences..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not to be critical Drptop70ss, but it looks to me like you should be concentrating on your own puncuation problems rather than BULK's.

Yours
"Hey bulk could you PLEASE use some punctuation in your posts, I am getting a headache trying to read these 100 word sentences.."
Correct
"Hey bulk could you PLEASE use some punctuation in your posts? I am getting a headache trying to read these 100 word sentences."
I dont want to start somthing, just my opinion that there are greater things to worry about rather than periods or question marks. Like how Im going to afford my new tuck and roll interior.

·
Registered
138 Posts
BulkSS,
The proportioning valve may have a little rubber tit on the front top side, push this in. If it does not have this type, I am not sure where the reset button is. I am not sure when they started using this type of valve. The parts I have that are off a 72 have this but my 70 does not.
Hope this helps.

------------------

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mike, I checked my Haynes manual(69-87) and does not cover a seperate PV and metering valve. I got a new comb valve for my 73 from Chevy in 96, not a exact replacment but functional equiv. I just checked out the Ground up site, and the part they are selling is the new valve I had bought, with a custom bracket and lines to convert your car to a combined valve. Since the valve alone was about $80 4 years ago, and the kit is $140 not a bad price for brakes that work!!

The bleeding procedure for the combined valve has you depressing the button on the metering valve to bleed the brakes, but I never did that and fluid comes flying out of the calipers. I would still suspect a bad valve or plugged bleeder screws

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

[This message has been edited by 73Malibu (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys after thinking it over I am not sure its the proportioning valve . I am going to do a few things with it in the morning . If need be I will get the Ground up kit . I am anxoius to drive it again .
Frank I will look you up at the next cruise night Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.