Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
I deal mostly in cash. It's a lesson I learned long ago. Swipe card= no feeling. No notice of money gone. When I hand somebody cash, it makes me think about my purchase. Is it worthwhile, or frivolous? How much money do I have left in my wallet?

I collect my coins and cash them in now and then for fun money, but nothing like some others have posted.

I've seen signs in several businesses recently indicating no coin change would be given, but it has not happened to me at least.

Devin

·
Premium Member
13,564 Posts
our credit union is open, with restrictions. Navy Federal!!

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It may be time that we Americans stop doing any business with any brick and mortar who doesn't give back change. Something is amiss here. First it was direct deposit only and now this.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Direct deposit lowers the overhead.... No problems getting change in this area. I also pay with cash as much as I can, except when I travel and you have to use a card to rent a car or get a room. They took all the machines out of the banks here and are only taking rolled coins. :clonk:

John

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
I deal mostly in cash. It's a lesson I learned long ago. Swipe card= no feeling. No notice of money gone. When I hand somebody cash, it makes me think about my purchase. Is it worthwhile, or frivolous? How much money do I have left in my wallet?
Plus, many people will end up using a credit card, and the banks hope you don't pay in full so they can make some interest off you...

My credit union had a coin machine, but in the next town over... Last I heard, they still take rolled coins...

Like many, I drop my coins at the end of the day. Figured I had about $120... Turned out over $150, and I only found that out because my kids rolled them all and took them to the bank... with my wife's approval... Its a conspiracy, even at home...

I personally have not seen any signs indicating "exact change only", but I haven't been doing much "small" shopping. My credit union did close one branch in town, but the other is still open.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have heard rumors of "The Fedcoin" in the very near future. That will likely end cash for goods once and for all. Things have taken a bizarre turn this past year.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Does this mean that homeless people will start accepting credit cards?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I throw all my change into a container on the dresser, but it all disappears whenever the wifey cleans.

She must have her own stash somewhere.....:D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It may be time that we Americans stop doing any business with any brick and mortar who doesn't give back change. Something is amiss here. First it was direct deposit only and now this.

I highly doubt store are holding back change to "get you". It's far more likely they simply have no change.

Reactions: TechNova

·
Premium Member
4,110 Posts
The only place I use cash anymore is at places I also leave a tip, like when getting a pizza or a haircut. Usually the change is included in the tip. I hate carrying coins around. If the pizza is $10.12, I'll give them $15 and call it even. They can figure out how to come up with the coins out of the till themselves. :D

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,171 Posts
Are your banks actually open? With the exception of drive-up tellers, banks around here are closed due to the China virus. I think they want it that way instead of having every customer walk through the door wearing a mask. If I recall, wearing a mask into a bank before the China virus was frowned upon. :thumbsup:
I think they are, generally speaking. The branch of my bank that I rarely go into any more is open.

Tellers wear masks, signs at entrances encourage wearing them; but I don't think they kick people out for not wearing them.

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
796 Posts
If anyone I do business with would tell me no change, I would tell them I'll give the lesser cash amount or no sale. To all that never carry cash, how many times has your account been compromised. Who is taking the hit for this and who benefits from it.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I went to In n Out Burger today and guess what.... They gave us change. So if they can get it so can anyone else.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The mints are back open so this issue will be gone soon. I have a big jar of coins like most people.
The banks around here never closed. You had to go in one at a time but they were open.
I do everything on credit cards and pay in full at the end of the month. I also save every receipt throughout the month and compare it to the credit card statement, line for line.
I do carry cash just in case or if something is under like $5. I do not carry a debit card.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts