Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I rarely ever use cash anymore anyways...my CC pays out up to 5% cash back so there's no incentive for me to keep using cash for everyday stuff. But I do have a jug full of coins at home that probably totals up to $200 worth, and I know most of you reading this probably do too. Let's just all go cash in our coins this week and I'm sure the coin shortage will sort itself out :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I rarely ever use cash anymore anyways...my CC pays out up to 5% cash back so there's no incentive for me to keep using cash for everyday stuff. But I do have a jug full of coins at home that probably totals up to $200 worth, and I know most of you reading this probably do too. Let's just all go cash in our coins this week and I'm sure the coin shortage will sort itself out :D
A friend who likes to dig through change and sell the rare ones on eBay has been finding WAY more good stuff than usual lately. Seems a lot of people are cashing in stuff that's been out of circulation for a while.

·
Gold Founding Member
166 Posts
The mints make 10s or even 100s of millions of coins of the popular denominations every year. What's happened to all those coins? Seems unlikely to me that the cumulative millions of coins have all accumulated in cookie jars?

·
Gold Founding Member
63,029 Posts
One of these days we're going to wake up and find that Japan and China owns most of the property and big business in the USA and all our bases belong to them.

Curious, has anyone here not been able to get change back?
I haven't yet...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've been told recently that many banks don't want them wrapped anymore. *shrug*

I have $1000 in quarters, to lazy to haul em in, and the lower denominations are to much of a pain to wrap.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,169 Posts
I have $1000 in quarters, to lazy to haul em in, and the lower denominations are to much of a pain to wrap.
I think most banks have coin sorters - just pour 'em in, and the machine sorts and counts them; then they give you paper money. :thumbsup:

Even my little podunk hillbilly bank has one. :D

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Yup even sorts out the funny money from up north eh.:laugh:
The bank I deal with has had it's lobby closed since the China Flu started.

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Is a scam.
No, it's real. Mint workers were furloughed. I think they're back to full staffing so the shortage will be over-eventually. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/06/20/coronavirus-shortage-coin-supply-pennies-nickels-dimes-quarters/3230828001/

My bank, Chase, takes coins rolled, not bagged.

Some banks like TD have change machines. There's no charge if you're a customer. Coinstar machines in retail stores charge a percentage. HOWEVER you can put it on an Amazon card and there's no percentage charge.

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of these days we're going to wake up and find that Japan and China owns most of the property and big business in the USA and all our bases belong to them.

Curious, has anyone here not been able to get change back?
I haven't yet...
Yes, at Auto Zone last night and I tried to order a Pizza today and was advised it would be required to pay either exact change or a debit card, I told her forget the order then.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Murder hornets didn't play well enough so it's on to the next made up scare.

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think most banks have coin sorters - just pour 'em in, and the machine sorts and counts them; then they give you paper money. :thumbsup:

About 4 months ago I wrapped and turned in over $600 in various coins and the bank had zero problem with it. Now this stuff. :surprise:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to Harbor Freight last week to purchase a drill bit was told exact change only. There was change in the cash register but clerk said they could not use it. She said they had to empty trays each day and return coins to bank. I went to the Dollar Store later and told they could not give change. I think has to do going to a cashless system.

·
Banned
1,295 Posts

Are your banks actually open? With the exception of drive-up tellers, banks around here are closed due to the China virus. I think they want it that way instead of having every customer walk through the door wearing a mask. If I recall, wearing a mask into a bank before the China virus was frowned upon. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts