Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the replies on my rear end ratio question. I'm think I'm going to try to swing the Nash 5 speed with my 3.07 rear in my 70SS Convert. The last poster talked about his experience with installing a Nash 5 speed.

1)It sounds like the Nash bolts right in, but locating the shifter (Hurst comp +) correctly through the "hump hole" is the problem. Any one else care to comment?

2) If the above is true does that mean that the factory hole must be filled in and a new hole cut with a new hump fabricated or modified from the ones Year 1 etc. sells?
Will the factory console then fit?

Thanks,

--Andy--

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Andy,
I presume you realize the Doug Nash and Richmond 5sp are the same transmission (Richmond bought them out several yrs ago).
It does, basically, bolt right in. I discovered that some of the bolt heads, for bolting to the bell housing, were so tight that I bought some Allen head bolts, which makes it MUCH easier to get a wrench on the bolt.
As far as your shifter goes, I would either measure the distance from the front of the Muncie and Nash back to the stick location in neutral to see what difference exists, or install the Nash and and see where the stick needs to come through.
Hurst makes a couple of shifter handles that are offset at bottom end to allow the handle to come through closer to the center of the hump such as it does on a 70. (Personally, myself, if it were mine, I would modify the original Muncie shifter handle to fit if you still have it)
If need be, you can remove the factory console from the floor and relocate it back a little if necessary and probably no one would notice.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 10-02-99).]

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I have done this install on both an A-Body and on my 66 Vette. One thing you might want to be aware of. The shifter on the Richmond / Nash sits "higher" as measured from the trans main shaft centerline to the top bolt holding the shifter mechanism to the trans.

This is a minor annoyance on an A-Body..it was a tremendous annoyance on the Vette if you want an original appearance at the end of the install.

Using the stock A-Body console will be vey painfull because of the height of that shifter. I just plain gave up. I had to dimple the floor up and I had to move the "hole" a few inches to the rear and I still had all kinds of colisions with the console guts..It was a 72 Chevelle. Looking back after doing the Vette I think I could have avoided ALL floor surgery on the A-Body
( depending of course on where the stock A-Body 4 Speed lever is positioned fore and aft on the Muncie) AND I could have kept my t my console. Read on for the specifics.

Some very simple surgery on the Richmond mounting plate involving two cuts and two welds will allow the Hurst to sit almost exact at the same height above the Richmond maid shaft center line as the Muncie shifter sat above the Muncie center line.

Also using stock positioning options for the Hurst tower on the Richmond mounting plate it was possible to position the Hurst in exactly the same fore and aft position as is allowed by one of the Muncie optional mounting posititions in my Vette. I just cant remember which one. I am 100% sure of this cause I got the Hurst tower in EXACTLY the same fore and aft position (and side to side position for that matter) in my Vette as the original Muncie level had.

The issue here for you will be where the A-Body shifter is mounted on the Muncie and therefore where the console and the hole are positioned. If the General puts the 66 Vette shifter at exactly the same fore and aft position relative to the trans front/ bellhousing rear as they do in the A-Body you can exactly duplicate that positioning and you will not have to do ANY surgery to the floor if you modify the Richmond Mounting plate in your A-body as I did on my Vette.

If you can't 100% duplicate the original A-Body fore and aft position you gotta move the hole and move the console. I just can't remember the dimensions on the A-Body factory four speed positioning, did that swap 5 / 8 years ago.

Remember if you move must the hole and the console rearward changing the geometry on the Richmond mounting plate becomes more valuable because the floor drops farther downward toward the ground as you move toward the rear of the car.

If you want a diagram of the mods to the mounting plate as I did them for the Vette install drop me an address and I can forward a drawing. I might even have a picture of the finished plate after the welding. This was sooooo simple I can't believe it and I could have kept the A-Body 100% stock looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.