Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a sweep style dash in my 70 Chevelle. The original dash was setup for a column shift without a clock. The new dash and harness were purchased from a 71 with a floor shift and a clock. When I pulled out the old dash I was very careful to take plenty of digital pictures and label all of the leads but the 71 harness has several extra wires that I can't identify.

A 3 post female connector with a white, an orange and a grey lead. They are grouped with the wires leading to the steering column. (neutral safety switch?)

A 2 post female connector with a purple and a purple/white lead also grouped with the steering column wires. (backup lights?)

A single post female connector with two brown leads. This connector is grouped with the heater and the radio wires.

Also received a stand alone wire that is pink. One end has a female connector and the other end has a male spade with a metal clip.

The only connections unaccounted for on the dash are the 2 post for the clock.

I took a couple guesses above assuming that the neutral safety switch and backup light switch would move from the column to the floor shifter. Also possible that the clock harness is stand alone and I did not get it when I purchased the assembly.

Can any of you help me on this one? As always I appreciate your help.

Dan Solomon
70 Chevelle

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'll stab at it. (a little)

A 3 post female connector with a white, an orange and a grey lead. They are grouped with the wires leading to the steering column. (neutral safety switch?)
*Not neutral safety. White and orange are brake switch. But with a grey? Option wire?*
A 2 post female connector with a purple and a purple/white lead also grouped with the steering column wires. (backup lights?)
*Neutral safety*

A single post female connector with two brown leads. This connector is grouped with the heater and the radio wires.
*Can't locate off-hand*

Also received a stand alone wire that is pink. One end has a female connector and the other end has a male spade with a metal clip.
*Pink comes off the IGN switch but not sure what this is.*

The only connections unaccounted for on the dash are the 2 post for the clock.
*Clock is orange, I believe*

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Dan

Was the 71 a floor shift auto with console and an A/C car?

The 3 post - white, orange and gray would be for a console. White and orange are for the console courtesy back light. The gray is for the shift indicator light.

The single post female connector with two brown leads. This would connect to the A/C control head to supply power to the A/C system. If your car has A/C the heater wiring would not be used and would be taped up out of sight. If it doesn’t have A/C this connector is not used.

The stand alone pink - 71 Chevelles have two relays mounted behind the glove box. They are associated with the A/C system. When the ignition is shut off the relays momentarily apply power to the A/C compressor clutch. This helps prevent run on or dieseling. A pink wire was used to supply power; it connected to the fuse block and to one of the relays. This may be what your pink wire is for.

After thinking about it. Do you mean your removing a sweep dash and installing an SS dash? I have not encountered a sweep dash harness that has connections for heat or A/C and an unused console lighting connector. However the SS (gauge or light) dash harnesses are one size fits all harnesses and will have the heater or A/C connections and an unused console light connector.Also the SS dash harness has the orange wire for the clock built in. The sweep dash harness required a separate harness for the clock.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 11-17-2001).]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!

Elree, you seem to have nailed it. The donor car probably had AC and mine does not. All I need to do is purchase a clock harness, tape off the brown leads and leave the console connector available if I decide to pull my Star Shifter and move to a factory console.

Where does the clock harness tie in?

By the way, excellent information! Where did you pull it from? Experience or text?

Thanks again,
Dan Solomon
70 Chevelle

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way Elree, Don't know much about the donor car. Purchased this speedometer assembly and harness from a guy on the internet. Never did see the car.

Thanks again,
Dan Solomon
70 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Looks like the questions are all handled.

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

[This message has been edited by fastss396man (edited 11-18-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts