Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a one owner 70 SS396 with 53k on it. It has the factory engine and rear end. But the M-21 is gone . It was replaced with a 1971 M-22! But the shifter isnt the right one for a 1970 with console.. They hacked the hump some to make it fit. Id like to know ...what Hurst shifter it is before I replace it. Any ideas guys ?
thumbnail_20210607_080706.jpg
thumbnail_20210607_142411.jpg
thumbnail_20210607_142441.jpg
thumbnail_20210607_143413.jpg

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,284 Posts
Maybe a shifter for a bench seat 71 ?

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
For 68-72 Chevelles, the Hurst shifter (shifter mechanism AND handle) are the same for BENCH and BUCKET seats.
IF the car was a FACTORY 4sp car, then the HUMP added at the factory on the transmission tunnel was different-------------------BUT THE SHIFTER WAS STILL THE SAME.
The shifter MECHANISM itself had a dogleg------------------SIMILAR, BUT NOT THE SAME AS THE PICTURES ABOVE----------------with 2 holes for bolting the handle to it. The handle was SEPARATE from the mechanism. Upon close observation, it APPEARS the above handle has been bent by someone to achieve the dogleg. That is how Hurst did it.

A FACTORY Muncie shifter did not have a dogleg in the shifter mechanism. The FACTORY HANDLE had a dogleg at the bottom and bolted to the shifter mechanism.

This is a repo of the factory CONSOLE hump.
consolehump.jpg

This is a repo of the factory BENCH seat hump.
benchump.jpg

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry i have nothing to add except that i just picked up a 69 that they replaced the m21 with an m22 and did the same number to the floor pan , i'll have to take another look at the shifter setup

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
The bench seat lever was more curved then that. It looks straight to me. Maybe I'm wrong.
That is exactly correct. The bench shifter handle is curved, the console shifter has a 'dogleg" shape.
When I replaced the Saginaw 4sp with a Muncie and installed a Hurst shifter, I got the REPLICA bench seat handle, just because I like it better.

I know these are small pictures, sorry.
This is the bench and the console handle. Both are available in replicas, with M U N C I E stamped in them, for bolting to a Hurst shifter for the 68-72 Chevelle.
benchhandle.jpg

consolehandle.jpg

These 2 are the replica bench handle in our 70, which I just like better.
DSCN0550.JPG

DSCN0551.JPG

This is the bench handle in our son's 68 4dr, with an original 68-72 bench bezel and boot (which I stole at a swap meet for $20!!!).
100_0661.jpg

Reactions: LeoP and 71350SS

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Not sure when Hurst went from the large block letters to the smaller..on the handle. I've got 1 that came to me in a '69 chevelle and fits well, the flat blade handle has the large letters and NO, it doesn't have the 2 bolts, but rather slides into a detent like the oem round bar shifter handles.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,362 Posts
So Hurst did make shifter handle that mounts without 2 bolts. Thanks guys.
The Hurst shifter handles that slid in were used in early Pontiac Firebirds. Most other cars came with Muncie shifters that were normally replaced with Hurst shifters over the years. Here's a good Website for Hurst Shifters and parts. Browse by Category - Hurst Shifters Online

·
Registered
811 Posts
it looks lke a gto shifter i have one just like it , when i bought it the seller advertised it as a 70 72 gto shifter with linkage

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up. its probably worth a couple bucks then . Ill be sure not to throw it away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts