Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 71 engine harness I have a green wire (20 gauge, I guess) with a connector. That exits the harness at the bulkhead connector, and is about 4 inches long, folded and taped to the harness. I don't see this on the wiring diagrams. what should connect to it? BTW This is a new harness.
TIA

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
OK, here's the skinny:

On my 72, with new forward engine harness and new forward light harness, the junction block is made of two sections. The inward section is the engine harness, the outward section is the lighting harness. A green wire is present in both of these harnesses, however, only the fwd light harness has a green wire that exits a short distance away from the bulkhead connector. My harness has the fwd lighting wires encased in a plastic "loom" material, and the green wire exits about 8" or so from the bulkhead, then goes to my upper connection on the horn relay. NOT the 12V post that takes round style wire connectors, but rather the two leads that are male spade connectors which accept female plastic covered terminals.

Here's where 71's and 72's may differ....the horn relays are not interchangeagle for these two years. Good Luck, let me know if I can help (or confuse) you further !

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726
ACES #4486
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

Pictures of 72 Chevelle Resto: http://www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Jody
Sounds like Greg may be right on that wire. Only other large green wire in that area is the A/C line. Greg's 72 should have a green horn wire there because the horn relay is next to the M/C. But isn't the horn relay up on your 71 on the core support? Don't think the forward light harnesses are the same for the 71 and 72. (No books here to double check)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a male connector the best I remember.

This is a non-AC car.

The forward hardness is setup for the horn relay. I have already attached all those connections. It has a red wire, pink, and black that go to the horn relay.

The underhood lamp should connect to the horn relay with a single wire from the lamp on 71's.

By looking at several catalogs last night, I may have figured it out.

Does the pass side TCS temp switch require an additional connection that is added later depending on engine put in at the factory?

Ground Up has a pass temp wire for the 2 pronged sender that has to be pluged into the harness somewhere.

thanks,
jody

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I traced the wire..
It is a male connector on the engine harness and it does not go into bulkhead.

One of the TCS connectors has a green wire.

So it seems this may very well be the elusive
TCS temp switch wire that needs another wire connected to it that goes to the pass temp sender.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts