Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a yellow top dual post optima battery a couple of years ago for my car. I start my car every week while I am working on it and disconnect the cables when im done. Anyways I didn't start my car for about a month and then when i tried to start it it wouldn't crank over. My autometer gauge showed it only had 11 volts. Then when i jump started it, it ran fine. I tried it again a week later and it wouldn't start. I don't have an alarm or stereo and i always disconnect the cables.

My question is, does it need to be recharged? Does it require a special charger? What kind of charger should i get? are they expensive?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I use a regular battery charger to charge up my Optima Yellow and I haven't had a problem in two years. A small charger is not that expensive, maybe 30 dollars. This year I bought a battery maintainer that only charges the battery when needed and shuts off when the battery is fully charged. It can be left connected to the battery and even has a quick disconnect harness to remove it when you go driving. For a car that is not used often or has systems that drain the battery slightly (like even a clock) the maintainer is great. I bought it at Sears for about 45.00

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Just bought a Sears Diehard 12/2/75 Amp Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Engine Starter #71312.

Should we just set it to 2 Amp Trickle/Maintenance Charge for our Optima Yellow Top?

Haven't used battery in a couple of months, but will be using it daily in a couple of months.

Any info greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Originally posted by dcromero:
I bought a yellow top dual post optima battery a couple of years ago for my car.
I just bought a new battery yesterday for my El Camino. My 5-year-old DieHard finally died hard.

The battery I bought is a "Three Year". Do the Optima batteries have a warranty period? If so, is it still under warranty? You may have to get a new one and pay the pro-rate charge if it's under warranty.

I'd say that if a battery drains that quickly while disconnected (which is what my DieHard was doing), it needs to be replaced. None of 'em will last forever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts