Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like you have power. The yellow wire should always have 12 volts on it when the key is on. Check that first but either you have an extremley poor ground to the switch or the motor is tired. Strange usually they either work or don't.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would suggest checking the ground as well. The fact that the wipers move at all means you have power. I learned the hard way this weekend. I just put my newly rebuilt motor back in the car and was having trouble getting it started. I replaced my starter (not an easy job with headers and only 2 hands with the car on ramps.........), and still the starter turned really slow. I noticed a spark coming from the negative battery terminal when I turned the key. So, I went and checked the wires, and sure enough there was some of that yucky green corrosion. I just stripped the wires to expose fresh wire, hooked it back up to the battery and the car started right up!

I can't stress enough the importance of good clean ground.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Feel around and see if any of your wiper wires are getting hot. If they are, you probably have a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is a little off the subject, but isn't your car actually a '72? It looks great in the pics, btw.

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it's not a 72, I have the bezels and grille from a 72,they were on the car when I bought it last August. But, I just bought some 71 bezels from a gentleman from TC and will be putting them on as soon as I get them.
Thanks for the compliment, it looks alot better now that I have my ProStars on. The pix I have of the car now are to big to put in the "showroom". But, once I get them smaller, i'll add them. Thanks again

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thermostats? Ooops, haha. Did you reply to the wrong thread? Anyway, I am curious to know how your wiper situation works out, so be sure and post what you find out. My wiper motor acts funny at times too - when I first turn them on at low speed, they don't always move. Sometimes I have to switch to high speed to get them going and then back down to low. And my washer pump simply does not work at all........

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
With all the other items you're talking about installing, I assume that you're running the wipers with just the battery.

They will speed up a bit once the alternator starts putting out.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by chevelledude71:
Just the battery?
Chad's assuming you are testing or running the wipers with the engine off. Doing that the wiper motor is running on near 12VDC and not the 14.5VDC it gets when the engine is running. The difference causes the wipers and heater blower to run slower.
Sometime hard to see the cars and the wiring over the net. It helps me to close my eyes and lay my head on the monitor, but the boss thinks I'm napping.

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boy you just have to love internet sarcasm...you just gotta. ;)
I'm sorry, Chad knows I wasn't patronizing him, but thanks for the "ribbing" anyway. I needed that today believe it or not. I've been in a bad mood all day. I had to put up 14 bags of cammie netting today...in the rain :eek:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the same problem with my wipers. They always work (knock on wood), but they are VERY slow. Just good enough to get by in a mild to moderate rain storm. Anything more than that and I need to pull over.

I'll be curious to see what the fix is. I've put this problem off for a few years now.

On 71boo's nonfunctioning washer pump...does it not work at all? Or does it try to work, but nothing comes out. Mine was working about 2 years ago, but nothing was coming out. The little metal "pipes" that are connected to the hood and firewall...and have rubber hose going to them....they were clogged with years of tree sap, debris, etc. I just gave them a shot of WD-40, carb cleaner, etc...something with one of those "red stingers" to get into tiny places...

PRESTO!! After all of these years, I have a working windshield wiper fluid system. Just something to look at.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by chevelledude71:
Just the battery?
Sometime hard to see the cars and the wiring over the net. It helps me to close my eyes and lay my head on the monitor, but the boss thinks I'm napping.
</font>[/QUOTE]John.... maybe if you moved every couple of hours while (thinking) or stopped snoring ??? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by 70_FathomBlueMalibu:
[ I just gave them a shot of WD-40, carb cleaner, etc...something with one of those "red stingers" to get into tiny places...

PRESTO!! After all of these years, I have a working windshield wiper fluid system. Just something to look at. [/QB]
I will do that as well, even though i've yet to put on a squirter bottle to see if my motor even works.

·
Registered
305 Posts
70fathomblue,

i really have not taken the time yet 2 figure out what is wrong with my washer pump. i just finishin putting the rebuilt engine back in and dealing with all the issues that brings. i might be able to check it this weekend though. sure would be nice if it is as simple as cleaning those old rubber tubes............. haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts