Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had one of these when I was a kid (Ross Barracuda 3 speed):cool: and finally found one again:thumbsup: Just thought i'd share some pictures.
Check out the tires, Hard as a rock but they still work. (replaced the rear tube) I believe it's all original and I am planning to restore it. Anybody reccomend a good chrome plater? Any web sites for "banana bikes"?

LK

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Wheres the picture of you riding it down the driveway??? LOL

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll save that for later. :D

LK

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Don't know about seats but if you need new fenders try to find originals. I here the REPOP stuff doesn't fit worth a cr**.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Awesome bike!! :thumbsup:
I've got a 20" Schwinn BMX stashed away in my shop attic...was my son's bike and he turns 34 this year. :cool:

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know about seats but if you need new fenders try to find originals. I here the REPOP stuff doesn't fit worth a cr**.
Fenders are nice, I don't believe they re-pop anything for this as it is not a schwinn - If anything I will re-chrome.

LK

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome bike!! :thumbsup:
I've got a 20" Schwinn BMX stashed away in my shop attic...was my son's bike and he turns 34 this year. :cool:
I love old banana bikes. I have a couple of the Schwinn Stingray re-pops and a AMX Swift Hornet re-pop (around 2000) Also have a few "parts bikes"
This was the holy grail for me though,:hurray: I had one when I was a kid & then the BMX bikes came out and it wasn't "cool" anymore & it dissapeared, Found another one though. (took almost 30 years)

LK

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
That is cool. I had a few bikes like that when I was a kid! :D

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Back in the early 90's, I was in Guatemala for a port visit, and I finally figured out where all those bikes went. They were everywhere down there, with the 3 speed and 5 speed setups, ape hangers, banana seats. It was like 1973 all over again. :D I bet they're still there, too. :yes:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I had a few like that as a kid. One was a Green Apple something or other with a real slick on the back and small front tire with a springer front suspension setup and 5-speed shifter. Also had a Cheetah Slick, Yellow with a race stripe on the banana seat and a "Cheater Slick" on the back.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
After everyone else was into BMX bikes in the late 70's and early 80's, I picked up an old Murray Firecat chopper frame from Sears for $8. I worked odd jobs for a few months to buy the parts to finish it, cost me $200 in 1982 dollars to finish. :eek: Had a custom rear wheel with 3 speed hub, no brakes, real Z-bars off an old Harley, and a slick out back. :cool: Here's a stock one, pic I found on the web a few years ago.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a few like that as a kid. One was a Green Apple something or other with a real slick on the back and small front tire with a springer front suspension setup and 5-speed shifter. Also had a Cheetah Slick, Yellow with a race stripe on the banana seat and a "Cheater Slick" on the back.
That would be an Schwinn Apple Krate - Figure about a grand & up in todays dollars. Nice bikes.

My brother had a Murray Firecat chopper, That is a wild one as well.

LK

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
ha! I had a friend that had one of those. it was sooooooo cool.

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
anyone remember cutting off the forks from one bike and hammering them onto the forks on the bike your riding to make a chopper? Of course they always fell apart at the worst time. I finally talked my mom to take me to a welder and have mine welded. jim

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I'm a little younger, but I remember a really cool bike I had. It was call the "Sonic 6" by Huffy. It had a full motorcycle plasic body over the frame, and a pistol grip type shifter for a 6 speed in the center of the handlebars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts