Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

just figured id show yall what im startin with! looks like my first resto is gonna be a tough one!:noway: got it for free from my uncle along with a 454 to rebuild and put in it! hopefully will be worth the hard work!:hurray:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, you have your work cut out for you, and the best part is it was FREE....
Where in east Texas are you? I am in Mount Pleasant......NE Texas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

heres me cutting the tree out of the engine compartment!

·
Registered
650 Posts
If the hood had been left on the car, it would have saved you some time cutting the trees out of the way.

I hope you have a cutting blade on that "weed eater" or you are going to be there a while........LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you have your work cut out for you, and the best part is it was FREE....
Where in east Texas are you? I am in Mount Pleasant......NE Texas
im about 20 miles east of nacogdoches tx........yeah didnt cost me a dime its been sitting for 26 years and my uncle wouldnt let anyone touch it forever! my family told me i was crazy for even asking but i said what the heck and he said HAVE AT IT! im going to try and make it a hoss! my goal is 800 HP!:hurray: I want something i can ride around town a little bit but mostly i want it to be able to decimate all newer muscle cars:D Im goin with a supercharged 454 and a turbo 400 tranny of course thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyin the future!:)

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Jeff,Thats what I would call a real recycle project. Keep the pictures of your progress coming. Welcome to T/C,and remember this...There is nothing like a '66 Chevelle. Good Luck...Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for the deleted messages im havin a hard time posting pics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

think i got it figured out:hurray: as you can see its pretty much gutted! have any of yall tried restorin something this bad? i looked underneath it and the frame looks ok but i havent stripped it down and got a good look yet. just seemed like a shame to let a classic muscle car rust into the ground.:(

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Haha, check out those aluminum slot wheels. :D

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
Looks good, I've fixed a lot worse. Good thing you are in TX - Here in MI that thing would be rotted up to the windows. Looks pretty solid. How are the floors? That will be a cool picture to show people when you get it all done. (the one with you cutting the trees) You got the title, correct?

LK

·
Premium Member
1971 El camino 454 4 Speed
637 Posts
Is there a Story behind that poor Chevelle as to why she was left to die a slow death for 26 years?

The car looks like it was in great shape when it was put there...

That should never happen to any Chevelle...

John...

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Great deal for you!! Zero $$ starting with.
Quarters around the wheels, bottom of front fenders, around the windows appear to be ok. Lots of surface rust patina which you will take to bare metal anyway. Surface rust or needing new paint is all about the same. Don't be discouraged.
Floors, rockers, trunk and under the hood need checked out. Most important.......the frame. If those are not needing major replacement, I'd say you got a VERY good platform to start with.
Will it cost some bucks to restore? Yup.
Will you be proud of it and rightfully so? Yup.
Take it to bare metal and see what you have. If a rust hole (cancer) case, needing lots of sheet metal replaced....now you are talking big money.
Keep your head about yourself and get a plan. Do an inventory of what is needed.
Get a Ground UP or NPD catalog and itemize all the parts you need.
Most people just buy a Chevelle already completed and have no idea of the restoration process. Many of those slick paint jobs are also hiding things. You have a bare canvas to start from.
Oh, and have lots of patience.
Best of luck,
Herbie

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Congratulations Jeff! Keep your camera ready to document your resto it will also help to see how things go back together.. and to keep us posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there a Story behind that poor Chevelle as to why she was left to die a slow death for 26 years?

The car looks like it was in great shape when it was put there...

That should never happen to any Chevelle...

John...
well it was put out to pasture in 1982 before anyone considered it a classic and i think it was shoved aside because the engine and tranny were pulled for another project. my uncle planned for awhile to restore it but after 10 yrs or so figured it was prolly shot so it has sat since then. ppl have offered to buy it but he wouldnt hear it. my dad and most of my family tried to purchase it at one point or other and he flat out refused. i decided that i wanted an old car to tinker with and asked if i could drag it out of the grave yard and he said no problem ive got the title to it even! :hurray:sadly it isnt the only cool car out there rusting. theres about 3 or 4 vegas a Monte Carlo a Mustang II Kharma Gia '38 Chevy Coupe '40 Chevy Coupe 51 Chevrolet pickup and more i cant remember and a few antique tractors! at least i can save one hopefully and it does have some really bad rust spots, the back glass can just be picked up out of the car and the drivers floor has a 4 inch hole rusted in it:( sorry for the long post guys................

·
Registered
719 Posts
think i got it figured out:hurray: as you can see its pretty much gutted! have any of yall tried restorin something this bad? i looked underneath it and the frame looks ok but i havent stripped it down and got a good look yet. just seemed like a shame to let a classic muscle car rust into the ground.:(
Im starting with something a little rougher than that, not by much though.

Congrats on the velle. I love 66's

1 - 20 of 35 Posts