Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just became the proud owner of a 69 Chevelle. The guy I'm getting it from is a big time car nut but doesn't know anything about Chevelles. (His own words) I've known him a long time and he's straight up. He got the car for the same price but ran out of room. The guy he got it from said it's an SS, but I don't think so. I already did searches and determined that it was Fathom Green w/green vinyl top and green vinyl bucket seats. The carpet looks like it USED to be green, but the door panels and rear seat are black. Probably replacements, very good condition. Headliner is gone and dash and pad are black. It is a console shift auto, though console and tranny are missing, along with the engine. It does have a very good SS hood, 3/8" fuel line from tank, stainless trim around white parking lights, roof drip molding and short eye brow molding. It has no exterior identification (primered gray, just like my Elky) but door panels and dash say Malibu. Steering wheel is gone too, along with front seats. I'm not getting my hopes up, but does it sound possible that since everything inside that was green is now black, that it was just replaced with what was available? Sorry so long, just kind of excited and wanted to share this with you all and hear your insightfull (well, mostly) wisdom. Thanks.

------------------
SWAMP

'68 El Camino Malibu ???
'90 Harley FXRP
My El Camino

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
At that price, how can you go wrong??? Sounds like a cool project. Does it have the power brake booster w/proportioning valve & disc brakes on it? Good Luck Dude!

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car hobbyists, even those with different cars than yours, is what being a true enthusiast is all about."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron. Yeh, I figured the SS hood was worth the $50 and trouble to tow the thing home anyway. It doesn't have any brake parts left at all, which kinda makes me think that they were disks and someone took them to convert theirs. It also has a 10 bolt rear that looks to have been recently installed because it's got pretty shiny paint on it compared to the rest of the underside. I just don't want to go around saying it's an SS if it's not.

------------------
SWAMP

'68 El Camino
'69 Malibu...SS?
'90 Harley FXRP
My El Camino

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
hey swamp,
I'd look to see if the rear quarters are original to the car. If it wasn't there would be holes for the malibu emblems. also check the steering shaft too see if it is a big block or small block shaft. I'd also look on top of the acclerater pedal and check for a kick down switch for a T-400. good score either way. good kuck

------------------
1969 SS 396

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez Moloko, that's mighty generous of you.

Ratuned, the quarters appear to be origional, except they're not rusty.
I looked them over pretty good and can't see any signs of welds or holes for Malibu emblems. Also it has the steering column, but not the wheel, lower shaft, pump, etc. What is the difference between BB and SB steering shafts?

Tinman, I have been checking out your awesome ride and a few other Fathom Green ones. I might be able to handle the dark green exterior, but I just don't think I could deal with green interior. Besides, most of it is black now anyways. Thanks all for the help.

------------------
SWAMP

'68 El Camino
'69 Malibu...SS?
'90 Harley FXRP
My El Camino

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I posted the shaft question looking for the difference with pics but got no pics. I THINK that if you look towards the rag joint on a BB car there will be 2 12 point couplers. on a small block there will be 1 12 point coupler(at box end) and rivets on the other side. good luck

------------------
1969 SS 396

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, 68 was the last year for that.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
You said it had a 10 bolt, if its the original, its not a SS. 12 bolt only and there will be "braces" in front of and above the rear end to strengthen the frame mounting points. It will also have a switch above the gas pedal for the T400 kickdown assuming it was an original automatic.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
d1 bradley--the rear end braces that you speak of are NOT part of the 1969 RPO-Z25 SS package. The 12 bolt rear is standard equipment on the SS, but it is also standard equipment on a 350/300-hp car !!

Nate

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
3/8" fuel line was standard on the 350 and 396.
I think you would only find a 5/16" line on a 6 cyl and maybe the 307.

Nate

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got ahold of the guy that had it before my friend. He "assured" me that it is an SS. Said he started parting it because he wrecked it, then changed his mind and just started putting it back together with whatever he could find. And that's exactly how the car looks. I still hope to find the build sheet.

------------------
SWAMP

'68 El Camino
'69 Malibu...SS?
'90 Harley FXRP
My El Camino

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Did you wear a mask when you bought this??

You got a heck of a deal!! No one can blame you for being excited over a deal like that, way to go!
What redline tach is in it?

------------------
Doug, Chevl71
Team Chevelle member #625
Gateway Area Chevelle Club member CM028
(OO ss OO)
chevl71 homepage

[This message has been edited by chevl71 (edited 07-14-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.