Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home yesterday car shuts off at 50 mph, while coasting to shoulder I flick the key off/on a few times. Get a couple of random cylinders to fire, then nothing. Dead on the shoulder, headlights work, starter does not. Buddy shows up, make a quick jumper to hei Bat + terminal, big sparks, obvious short to ground. He tows me to another buddy's shop close by. Get into it this morning, find fusible link burned up inside wire shield, loose ignition switch at column, in cap coil open in primary and secondary windings. Solder in new 10 gauge wires to ring terminal at solenoid. Replace coil in cap, adjust ignition switch. Hook up battery, no sparks at B+, crank it over. Starts for 2 seconds, dies, smoke genie leaves the 8365 pro billet distributor like a 90's 3.1L with factory intake gaskets. Capacitor on the msd module is cracked in half after the fire. Got rid of that msd module, put in the "good" Napa 4 pin module plus the condenser and harness, fires right up and runs good. Until it gives me a reason not to, I'm sticking with this setup. It's a 489 that I don't spin past 6k usually, so we'll see how it does at the track. I know some of you hate the coil in cap stuff, I know, I know, but it's what I have currently. Happy that msd module in their distributor didn't burn my car down.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't buy anything MSD unless it was NOS or older stuff in very good condition, MSD is made in China now ?
Mine was probably 12 years old or more, very few miles on it until recently. I would like to try an add on rev limiter, may also do the external coil thing. Anybody like a certain rev limiter setup over the others? Like to stay away from a cdi box.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,586 Posts
Mine was probably 12 years old or more, very few miles on it until recently. I would like to try an add on rev limiter, may also do the external coil thing. Anybody like a certain rev limiter setup over the others? Like to stay away from a cdi box.
I bought a Pertronix HEI Flame Thrower III for the built in rev limiter but I think there's a company that sells a module with a rev limiter that you can put in your existing dist. but I can't remember the name, heck maybe Pertronix lol

·
Premium Member
7,456 Posts
I think it was a bad coil that was the cause.
DUI, pertronix or Msd rev limiter if you dont want the rev limiter in the module think same that offer the add on rev limiter also makes module with it built in.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,586 Posts
PerTronix D78000 HEI Upgrade kit puts a digital rev limiter module inside your HEI cap, looks like the same parts in my PerTronix dist. and made in USA, Summit has 5 in stock, I also put an MSD adv. stop plate in mine

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
It really sux to hear this. When we put my 406 in my sons truck he bought a big box store RTR distributor in it as I was using my 15+ year old MSD PB distributor in mock up engine. Well that lasted about a year and stopped working. By that time I installed the hyperspark ignition to control timing on my SS injection. So we put my old msd in his truck and presto 2yrs now no issues. Yes it has rust in it but fires the coil no problem.
Next well put the same ol 6al in it too!
glad you got it running again!

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Dont the DUI HEI ones come wtih an optional rev limiter?

Whats so bad about the coil in cap?

Would like to try out an HEI some day. If it feels the same the MSD is gone. Works fine but dont trust it ,.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts