is it running so hot?

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
738 Posts
Dean, is this a new engine that was just installed or have you been running this motor set-up for a while? If it's not new, then either you made some changes recently to your cooling system or timing or you may have a weak link within the cooling system itself.

I would check for: belt slippage, fan clutch working, radiator blockage, water pump condition. You might also try installing a 160 thermostat - it will give you an extra 20 degree window to work within. Double check your total advance as well - too little advance (retarded timing) will heat up that big block fast.

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 Stroker that loves Dental Gas! Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are you running 50/50 mix or 70/30 glu/water?
What did you use to flush the rad and how did you flush it. A flushing tee in the heater hose to the intake if I'm not mistaken is how I flush the system while using GM Rad Flush and a garden hose. You may have some plugged rad lines from the core. Change the rad cap and get the rad pressure tested and cores looked at at the Rad Shop. You may have missed something.

Mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use to run a 160 stat.Switching to the 180 made no difference.I flushed it out using a tee at the heater hose to the manifold.I used prestone flush.I am running a 50/50 mix(maybe a little more on the water side).I bought a repro style original radiator cap from Year One.It dont seem to perform like the one I had before with the pressure relief on it.Seems like it don't seal good.If I push down on it without turning hot coolant spirts out the sides.Bad Cap?I just bought it!Could this cause my engine to run hot???

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.