Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Re: My little butternut......I guess not all 68's came with power brakes?

Why is it the grill looks wrong to me? Sure looks like a standard chevelle grill minus the Chevrolet Emblem, not an SS grill.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

if its so original what happened to arm rest backing plates ??

·
Gold Founding Member
64,430 Posts

Why is it the grill looks wrong to me? Sure looks like a standard chevelle grill minus the Chevrolet Emblem, not an SS grill.
I think it's just not blacked out like it should be.

Very nice 68 SS !

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts

This car was at the Russo & Steele Auction at Scottsdale this year & didn't sell.
It does have a Malibu grille and grille extensions (same grille, but should be black), no armrest backing plates, no side pinstripe, and some other items aren't right. A friend of mine looked at the car in Arizona, and his opinion was that the car had a repaint and possibly been reupholstered. Did you notice that there are no pics of the rear of the car? :confused: It has '69 extended exhaust tips on it (or it did).The ad says "Everything in and on the car is original". :noway: My buddy & I have our doubts.
And it is true that not all '68s came with power brakes, it was an option for drum brakes (J50), and a required option for disc brakes (J50,J52).:)
Another nice car, but the advertising makes you go hmmm???:rolleyes:
BillL
Pic of the rear of the car at the R&S auction.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts

Agree, nice car.

But, I'm not sure why someone would call this rare.

Base model with no options. That includes the brakes, no power drum and no disc. And no power steering.

I seem to recall an LS6 car at Mercum last year that had 26 miles on it. It's probably 114,000 miles on this car.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

they really need to loose that receipt from the dealership
the front bumper guards are missing
the door edge guards are missing
its hard to see from the photo its supposed to have a speed warring speedo

MOST original ..... thats what they said .... :noway:

it is a bitching car :thumbsup: .. why do they have to mess it up by lying ??

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

And it is true that not all '68s came with power brakes, it was an option for drum brakes (J50), and a required option for disc brakes (J50,J52).:)
Another nice car, but the advertising makes you go hmmm???:rolleyes:
BillL
I actually made a typo when I typed that.....I actually meant to say "I guess not all SS cars had power disc brakes"..........as this one obviously has drums....:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have noticed that the hose clamps are screw type , my 68 chevelle has 70,000 miles on it and has the original style hose clamp type .

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

I actually made a typo when I typed that.....I actually meant to say "I guess not all SS cars had power disc brakes"..........as this one obviously has drums....:confused:
there's nothing uncommon in drums in 68 ... as a matter of record disc brakes amounted to 3 % of production in 68 !! they didn't become part of the S.S. package until 69 when the design also changed from 4 piston calipers to single piston design ... strange but true :D

·
Registered
6,743 Posts

The intake manifold has been repainted.
There's no way a 15,000 mile car doesn't have some discoloring around the crossover.
Too much wrong with this car to be 14,972 orig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts