Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight coming home from my swing shift. my lights went out for no reason. and so i was driving about 70 at midnight with out lights. my switch thingi was on for lights but it just didnt go on. my high beams didnt go on either. if i juggle the switch around a little it would go on but if something touched it it would go off. i dont have my dash in so it did hit the bottom of the dash thing. but i dont think that would do it. please help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If I’m reading things right it sounds like your headlight switch is just hanging there. Is that correct?
When you move around the headlight switch connector wires the lights come back on. Is that correct?
If so, are you able to move around the headlight switch wires, while sitting in the driveway, making it go off and on?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes they are just hanging but no i cant sit in my drive way and just move it to make it go on or off well it didnt do it anyway when i was fooling around with it for the few minutes i was sitting there before i went in.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i was driving yes i moved the wires on and it went back on and if i went around a small bend and it hit the bottom of the dash part it did go off and i had to jiggle it around and it would go back on. so whats wrong is it the connector or the wires or both. when i put it back in the dash will it go away? thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My guess would be a loose connection on the headlight connector.
I don’t think it’s the dimmer switch on the floor nor a loose ground on the lights. The reason I think that is you lost all 4 lights.
I don’t think it’s the circuit breaker that’s inside the headlight switch that may have tripped. The reason is the lights didn’t come back on. Normally the circuit breaker should reset by itself.
Guessing a loose connection problem on the red wire—Input wire to the headlight switch (or ) light blue wire—Output wire from the switch. The wires are crimped to the connector sockets and they can become loose over time.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, for the info, do you know where i could buy a new switch i mean i might as well since the dash is out

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Any auto parts store will have them. Try Kragen. If they don't have one they can get it. These switches are common as dirt. GM used them for years on everything.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
were talking about the chrome piece that you pull out right, also how hard is it to rewire the wires to the dash? thanks

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that part and the assmebly the plugs and stuff.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The switch you can get from any parts store. The connector can be cut off another harness and solder/sleeved onto your harness. Should be able to find a decent connector in the junkyard. A couple of the wire colors may be different but the wire positions are the same. Look for any clean late 70s GM car with a pull on headlight switch.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im lost what is the switch its that what the knob is connected to

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Need to type more than one sentence. Remember no one can see what is in front of you. Are you asking about the switch that turns on the headlights?
Not putting you down. I only type with a couple of fingers.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea the knob that you pull out. the thing that it is connected to thats what i am asking about all the wires are connected to it and its black and yea thats about it

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"yea the knob that you pull out."

The knob you pull on it connected to a shaft. The knobs are different for different GM cars but the shaft is the same. If your knob is broken, you can get a knob and shaft at the junkyard.

"the thing that it is connected to thats what i am asking about"

Knob and shaft go into the headlight switch.

"all the wires are connected to it and its black and yea thats about it"

If you need the switch and/or the connector I mentioned places where they can be found.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the help. yea i guess im just not thinkin straight today

1 - 16 of 16 Posts