Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I've heard the reason Smokey was such a cheater, is because his junk couldn't win otherwise... not sure how much of that is true. :eek:

Smokey did NOT cheat, he just read the rule book very carefully and worked around it. That's not cheating, is it?
He did that too, but he cheated on anything he thought he could get away with, whether it was in the book or not.

·
Registered
579 Posts
that is what every engine bulder does, if the rule book says you cant do it then do not, but if there is no mention it is open.:thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,777 Posts
Smokey thought beyond the envelope. He was experimenting with things that others hadn't even thought of yet. Like using the flywheeel as a supercharger, cutting vent holes in the body to relieve air pressure buildup, etc. He was way ahead of his time and has numerous patented inventions to his credit. The traditional Holley carb was one of his inventions.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
that is what every engine bulder does, if the rule book says you cant do it then do not, but if there is no mention it is open.:thumbsup:
Smokey took it about 5 steps farther, and not just in engines.

ie: Rules originally only mentioned gas tank dimensions, so he went with larger diameter fuel lines. Then they said only certain size lines, so he made them longer (al lot longer), so then they changed that. He makes his gas tank hold more by filling it with compressed air and bulges out the bottom (jacks it up at end of race to bring it back to spec.)

Thinner body metal, 7/8 or 15/16's (I forget) sized car, moving the driver's position around, massive R&D on engine work. His motto was "If it doesn't say you can't, then I have to assume it's allowed".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts