Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into Kroger's tonight, bout 10:30, place was empty. Wife was off shopping, I make my usual bee-line for the magazine aisle. Well, to my amazement, neigh, my DISGUST, I see an import racing magazine sharing the same shelf as my beloved Super Chevy, Car Craft, and others. My first reaction, I ignore it. But, like an uncontrollable twitch, I just HAD to know what their pathetic ideas for speed were. Before touching the thing, I look both ways down the aisle. I'd just DIE if anyone, even a stranger, saw me reading such.......smut! Well, I flip open to the middle of it, and glance at some article about "making power", or something to that effect. The phrase that caught my eye was as follows:

something about porting....."and you'll need to pull the head (or heads).....etc.

Or heads?!
I laughed out loud, as I put it down next to the "Home and Garden" magazines where it belongs. Will they never learn?
Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
172 Posts
LOL...You tell a funny story

Truth is, there is a magazine for everything from A to Z.

Look on the bright side, at least this encourages the rice-burning crowd to read.

"Head(or headS)"

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Heres one that I saw:

HOT ROD HONDA by Hot Rod Magazine!

They also did a segment on this on Horsepower
TV, very tastefully done by Chuck and Joe.

It is no use fighting it... there everywhere!

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
If you like the magazine (why did you look?). You should try driving one. I hate to admit it but they are fun to drive.
200HP 91CUIN 8000RPM and goes BAAAAAAUHHHH sounds kinda like a motorcycle and corners like a go-cart.

[This message has been edited by joe58 (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey, at least they're keeping the hobby alive. As the cars we all love so much become rarer and more expensive, about all that's left to hot rod is that FWD junk. I gotta hand it to those guys, they must really love to wrench to wrench on those things! I just can't figure how they get their hands down in there.
If that magazine was talking port grinding, then they're deeper into it than I realized. I didn't know it went any farther than an annoying muffler and an even more annoying stereo system

Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Registered
14 Posts
This topic makes me crazy my bother in law is crazy about these rice burners. Ive over herd him and his friends getting all
excited about a honda with 1.5 liter.They
turn these rice carts 8000 rpms and dump
the clutch get one front tire to smoke 10 foot . I guess our fought for not taking each one of these young men for ride in a 7.4 LITER! 4th gear burnouts thers no compairing the two CUBES WINS EVERY TIME!

·
Registered
174 Posts
LOL!!!!! that was great. i know what u mean, we just got a chapters in town and they really cary books. There is tons and next to super chevy there were like 5 books on them. didn't look was too interested in the other books like sc, and so on. was great writing, made the reader wonder what was happening.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Bryan-
The sad truth is...the only way to get their hands in there is to disassemble practically the whole dang motor. A guy on my hockey team lives next to a guy in an import car club, my friend had thrown a party as we just won the So Cal divison in our league. I rolled up they were just jacking up a mid 90's civic to put some headers on, 4 and half hours later when I was leaving they had just got the headers in and were trying to reassemble the motor.(this was 5 guys working) When I put the headers on my 64 it took me(by myself) an hour and a bit.(and that was including driving down to my friends house to weld up the exhaust pipes)

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a neighbor who was really into rice burners. He'd brag about how fast his was, blah, blah, blah. About more than six months of listening to him ramble on about how quick these cars were, I let him slip behind the wheel of my 68.

Now mind you, no one (outside of my father) has driven my Chevelle. Not even my wife. My 68 was a fun car to drive; no race car, but it had about 400 horses under the hood. Enough to prove my point to him.

So I drive RiceGuy out to a huge, huge parking lot of a strip mall that was under construction and we trade places in the front seat. "Okay Crackle, punch it like you would in your Rice Krispie car," I said. Man oh man, I wish I had a camera to record the startled look on his face! Never again did he brag about his "super fast" car. And he stopped bringing over RiceCar magazines to show me, too. Surprising how a little true horsepower can humble a guy.

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

[This message has been edited by rstoltz (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's all a matter of economics!

I'd like to build a 65 Nova and recently saw one that was TOTALLY clapped out, but the body was "rebuildable". I found the owner and talked to him about selling it and he said that he already had an offer for $2500! (I just walked away)

Around here, $2500 will get you a reasonable Honda civic that you wouldn't be embarased to use on a date.

If I was a high school kid with limited funds (and ability), I'd buy the Honda.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
You hit the head on the nail, Chev-hell, and if you want my opinion, I don't believe the manufacturers want these cars to be around thirty years from now. Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford, no one wants their products on the road thirty years from now, because that would mean you're not buying a new one. What would Chevrolet rather have us do, spend our money restoring a 69 Chevelle, or use that money to buy a NEW fwd Monte or Malibu?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree with you, chev-hell & Randy. I think these cars will be around in 30 years.Did people that drove in the 20s think there cars would still be around in the 50s let alone the next 20s of the new millenium? No, they didn't, but we all still see T-buckets cruising around. We certainly see Model As. These kids are really into them. There will be other kids that get into them as well. It will become a more advanced hobby for them as our hobby of building classics will continue to grow stronger too. Oh, & I think the mag is Turbo (or something)
It's behind my favorite magazine Car Craft in every store down here in SoCal.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Registered
994 Posts
I like the Idea of these "HotRod Honda's 'cuz when they need money you can pick-em up fairly cheap and they make for good work beaters. Just pull your ball cap over your eyes so your friends won't recognize you

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
A few things I have noticed.

At the mag rack I counted 2 mag for Chevy, 5 for Ford, 8 for imports, 3 general interest older car orientated mags (Hot Rod, PHR, CC), 4 for trucks, and a couple on Street Rods. Not counting mags like Car & Driver, Road & Track, ect. Chevy is losing the battle at the mag stand.

At the strip, most import guys are constantly working on their cars between rounds. Most american car guys are sitting around relaxing between rounds.

A long time racer buddy of mine (has an 11 sec 80 Olds with a SBC) was telling me a head porter he knows, who has done hundreds of chevy and F*** heads, now spends 90% of his time doing Honda heads. He gets more money and they take less time to do.

Just some observations,

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 11-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 11-14-99).]

·
Registered
313 Posts
My 89 Acura Integra has 250K on the original motor (burns a quart every two tank fulls), but otherwise runs well. A/C blows cold, 5 spd, 4 wheel discs, power steering, comfortable for long trips, body is tight. Will cruise at 80 all day while getting 30mpg. My mechanic says it'll cost $1700 to $2000 to go through the engine and freshen it up. I am tempted to do that and put $2K or so in a good paint job to run it another ten years. I think it'll go twenty, not sure about 30. That leaves more bucks I can sink into another Chevelle!
jmw

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 11-14-99).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.