Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, cars a 66, has a small journal 327, mechanical pump on front of block, and its dead. Pulled the fuel line into it and there is gas, pulled the line out and no gas. I guess i need to replace it. What should i know about this replacement, i plan on disconnecting everything and pulling it off tomorrow morning, getting a replacement and sticking it on there. How much more complicated is it than this?

Can i get an electric pump? What would i do with the place on the block for the mechanical one? Whats a good pump to buy, and where should i mount it?

Anything else? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, you didnt miss anything, ive never done this before, just wondering if there are any unforseen things involved. The plan is, as you say, to put on a new pump and get on with life.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The only trick could be that the pump pushrod may not want to stay up while you install the pump. Take it out, put a gob of grease on the end of the pushrod then put it in place - that should hold it long enough to get the pump in. Put the grease in the freezer if it won't hold warm.
Also, if the pushrod is on the cam lobe, you will have to push the pump up against the block or bump the engine to get it off the lobe.
Don't worry too much about all that, it is very easy to do, just get in there and do it.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-1
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-2

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
And dont think about an electric. Many guys run them for sure, most dont need to. I;ve seen to many 7500rpm old LT1 350's and real 500 hp rats running around with nothing more than an AC mechanical. And BTW, Carquest used to have genuine AC pumps fwiw.

Its a simple job, no prob.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jobs done. thanks guys. 283v8 Great tip on the pushrod, used it and worked awesome!

Later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.