Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored Saturday afternoon, and my boss wanted me to paint the body for his kids go-kart. Well he didn't make it to NAPA in time to get paint, so we couldn't do it today. I tried to convince him to let me do it black and silver since I already had it, but he and his kid insisted it had to be blue! Then I was bit by the bug! I had to paint something! I decided to paint my new go-kart hood.

So I set out on my mission... I've had the paint for the Chevelle sitting in my living room, so I figured taking enough to do the kart body would be ok. I started with a base coat of Salt & Pepper Silver. Then I moved onto the "black out" stripe... Here is a pic I took with my cell phone of when I was masking it off...

Not a very good pic, but you get the idea. After it was masked off, I sprayed it with "fleet black" mixed with a touch of the silver to give it some pearl effect. After that I peeled the tape off, and blasted it all with some clear coat. It took me about 5.5 hours from start to finish, I'm pretty pleased with the results... Check it out!

What do you say? The flash from the camera makes the silver look more of a goldish color... It's really silver though, trust me...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason,
You did a good job,especially for your first time:yes:
I've sprayed quite a bit of primer in the past, but I've always been afraid to spray "the real thing"... On a car anyway... This is a real confidence booster.

That thing looks like it is a blast to drive!
Looks like a mini sprint car!
That's pretty much what is it! It's an Outlaw Kart. It's a total blast! Fast too! They're pretty popular back here on the west coast.

I would be really fired up if I did something that nice! Just shows how much money time is worth because it does not look like you had a ton of money in materials.
Brian 69SS396
I'm pretty pleased with it myself. I gotta paint the back tail piece soon to match it. I've been rockin' that broken up black front piece for so long it was time for something new. I didn't really have much money in the total materials used to paint the body... Some of the paint was borrowed from my Chevelle stash, which cost me about $500... But for the ammount of paint that I used, I'd say maybe less than $20-30 bucks... I used about 7 oz of each color, and 14oz of clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts