Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sixteen years old and seriously considering a '69 Chevelle for my first car. I found one on-line that isn't far from me and it seems like it's in good shape from what the add says and what the pics look like. The add says its a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 but, in the pictures that the owner sent me, I noticed that there are no SS embelems anywhere except on the trunk, the owner said that the owner before him had the car painted and never put the chrome back on, would it be better to buy original chrome or a new kit to replace whats missing? The grille is a '68 and its been painted also. The current owner bought the car with a 355 in it and then dropped the 396 in. Is this car worth messing with for $5000 or should I wait for a better one to come along?

[This message has been edited by Gearhead5s (edited 11-12-99).]

[This message has been edited by Gearhead5s (edited 11-12-99).]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Do you have $5k to spend? It's been my experience to buy the car with the least amount of rust.

No idea if it's a real SS, I don't have one (70 Malibu) and not up on the IDing of SS Chevelles.

Another thought, 16 years old and a 396 would probably get you high insurance rates. You prepared to go there? Not trying to discourage you or anything, just asking.

Go look at it. Do not ask about flashy stuff like paint, wheels, or chrome. Matter of fact, don't talk $$. Just ask questions, and ask to test drive with the owner. (I doubt I'd let a 16 year old drive a car I am selling, so don't be offended if he offers to drive it with you shotgun). Call back the next day if you are serious.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds to me like the infamous SS "clones" that so many try to pass off as real Super Sports. Then again, it may be legit, simply with the things you've mentioned removed. You said it's not too far from you, then go look it over with someone. Preferrably someone familiar with what a real 69 SS is supposed to look like. Do some homework, and know what to look for in a real SS. Sorry, but I couldn't begin to tell you what. One thing to keep in mind is that all those missing trim pieces (and seat, which are hard to find) equal cash-money to replace, and they ain't cheap. But if it turns out to be legit, then it could be worth it. IF, there isn't a ton of hidden bodywork that needs to be done as well. My best advice is to take someone experienced with you if you're really unsure, and just be careful. There are some dishonest people lookin to make a quick buck off of inexperienced buyers, but also really decent ones too. Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Read a couple of times everything you can in this site first--archive, restoration, etc. to help you evaluate a potential purchase. Thousands of man-years of experience are here for you--free!

Get somebody experienced to help you choose your first ride. Get a second opinion.

Don't spend your last buck on the car; it's only the beginning of your expenses--registration,insurance, gas, tires, repairs, parts, tools, supplies, etc.etc. It costs enough just keeping a car going, much less fixing/restoring

Take your time; you got plenty; no need to get in a rush.

Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
1) Get under the car and look at the center section of the frame, right between the doors, if the frame is boxed it's a SS. If the frame only has 3 sides, it's not a SS.

2)Pull the info off the body tag under the hood and post it in the "Tag TEAM" Forum. You will get some help there. It may be a SS, but might not be a 396

3)Insurance doesn't care what size your motor is, as long as its a V8 its all the same to them. At least thats the way it was with me. Before I picked a company I called 3 places, all just wanted to know if I had a V8. But then again I have a 65...

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold
1965 406 6speed

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
One question...boxed frame on an SS coupe???
Never heard of that...

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
I might be wrong but i dont think you can tell a ss from a non ss by the vin. no. on a 69 to 72 chevelle. It was not a separate model. It was a package option . Unless it was a 6cyl. then it was not a ss. Maybe the guy has the built sheet?

------------------
CFR.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
boxed frames are for elcaminos and convertibles, ss or not..69 hardtops only have a "C channel" type frame, ss or not. Search though this site, lots of info on spotting a real ss.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Carry a magnet and look at the lines down the sides for waves ie strait body and look for holes where the ss emblems were. look around his house and see if this guy is the type to do things right. Most of the time these thing spill over to house, other car, and work shop, and like other have said dont spend all your money. Sometimes the good old days werent all that good ie drum brakes, points, and on and on . Also get on your back and look at the bottom the car most of the time most people dont spend much time repairing rocker panel and bottoms of quarter panel to perfect condition. Ive been sick after I started loading a "mint solid car " up on a rollback only to see what I should look for. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sounds like a clone, but without seeing it, I can't tell.If all those things have been changed, it would be costly to put back original, unless he has them.No way to tell a ' 69 S.S. car from the cowl tag, and they don't have boxed frames in coupe cars, unless someone has changed it out from a conv. car. Look at the front fenders, are the holes punched or drilled, or are they there at all? Does it have a 12 bolt? The instruments are the same for Malibu and plain S.S. cars, unless it has a tach and gauges option, which could have been changed.Look in the trunk, are there holes in the 1/4's where the Malibu emblems should be, or bondo seeping through.The front fender chrome , where the grille extensions cut in, does the chrome continue on down, and run down the body of the car, or stop even with the grille extension?Look at Jeff's car from the front page, his is the feature car of the month.See how the chrome on the grille extensions stop right at the end of the extension.If it runs on down the car, it is a Malibu car.Look and see if there are holes here also. Hard to tell without seeing for myself.Also some insurance companies do ask for engine size, and if you have a bad record, or no driving record at all, they will turn you down.This happened to a friend with a '67 S.S. car.But in this case,all it will show is a Chevelle sport coupe from the VIN.If they did ask, just say a V8, that is if you bought the car.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen / Team Chevelle # 427 / A.C.E.S. # 1282

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 11-13-99).]

G

·
Sounds like a fake. Boxed frame rails do not identify an SS. You're 16 and want to drop 5 large on a car you found on the internet? Trouble. Buy something local that you can look at first. Take someone along who's knowledgeable on these types of cars. Even better yet, educate yourself.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Gearhead. I think that a 69SS396 would be an excellent choice for a first car, particularly if she won't see allot of snow and rain. ( My knowledge of KY is a few weeks at Ft. Campbell ). But $5000 doesn't leave you much room for upgrading, replacing etc, I assume. Take someone knowledgable with you. Go over the car with a fine tooth comb. PRINT OUT the tips to buying your first car section here written by Al, it's an invaluable guide.

I bought my 67 SS396 "over the net". Of course it was close enough so I could kick the tires, so I wouldn;t let the internet ad sway you either way. Big question; are your parents cool with the idea? You'll be spending time and $$ getting her right, so there's no need to add "noise" by unsupportive parents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.