Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Cycle the Germantown Greenway Ride here in Memphis. There were 20, 31 and 50 mile options. I was leaning toward the 31 miler, but I decided at the last minute to do the 50.

First 1/3 maintained about 16-18 mph pace, 2nd 1/3 about that, but it had more hills, which slowed things down. Last 14 miles, I hit the wall, dropped down to around 12. Many more hills with the wind in my face. Made it the entire distance, though.

I missed a turn at about mile 20, had to backtrack, I figure it added 6 miles to the ride, so around 56 total.

I guess I averaged around 15 mph when you take out the rest stops.

But boy does my butt hurt. Note to self - buy better seat!

Looking forward to the next ride in July. My body might almost have recovered by then :eek:

Just so you know, Jeff, until today, that ride we did was my longest distance.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Thats pretty awsome,:hurray::beers::thumbsup: I get tired driving 50 miles.:D

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Nice work. As for the seat, your rear end needs to adjust to this new activity of yours. Don't run out just yet. Typically I give a seat a few hundred miles before deciding whether it is worthy of my butt being on it or not. I would expect nothing less than for you to say your rear hurts like hell, that is a huge step up in riding distances to do without your rear conditioned to it. If you truely do decide you need a new seat, check out a specialized toupe. They are an awesome seat, an you can find them on ebay.

I assume you don't have a computer on that bike, I don't recall seeing one when I saw your bike. It will give you a much better idea of what you did on your ride and you can also use it to track how well you are improving. I have a decent Trek incite 9i, it doesn't do cadence but it will do speed, average speed, total mileage, trip mileage, and a few other things, if you want it I will send it to you. This is it: http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=347&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,4,15,445,448&iProductID=347&bShopOnline=1

Nice job overall. The ride we did was about 23 miles I believe or thereabouts, so that is a huge jump in mileage.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Nice job Andy!!!!

I love riding, it has become a passion that actually surpasses the Chevelle.

I agree with Jeff on the seat. Give it some time and be sure you have a good pair or riding shorts with good padding. Another thing to remember is to get use to getting out of the seat for a few seconds every 30 mins or so.

I like a computer with cadence (pedal rpm) I am a firm believer in spinning in the 90 to 100 range.

I use the Cat-Eye Astrale 8, it's not wireless, but works great.
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/253

What bike do you have?

I would recommend a very easy ride of 10 miles to clear out your legs. We always do a 30 mile recovery ride on Monday nights from the 100 miles + we rode over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
WOW......... GREAT JOB !!

congrats :thumbsup:

that is a LONG ride ......... your going to feel it in the morning ;)

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job Andy!!!!

I love riding, it has become a passion that actually surpasses the Chevelle.

I agree with Jeff on the seat. Give it some time and be sure you have a good pair or riding shorts with good padding. Another thing to remember is to get use to getting out of the seat for a few seconds every 30 mins or so.

I like a computer with cadence (pedal rpm) I am a firm believer in spinning in the 90 to 100 range.

I use the Cat-Eye Astrale 8, it's not wireless, but works great.
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/253

What bike do you have?

I would recommend a very easy ride of 10 miles to clear out your legs. We always do a 30 mile recovery ride on Monday nights from the 100 miles + we rode over the weekend.
I have a Lemond I picked up from a little bike shop in Somerville, NJ. It's one of the older ones with the Reynolds steel frame. It's got the low end Shimano components, but they function pretty well as long as I keep them adjusted. Very comfortable to ride.

I found my legs respond better at lower RPM and a higher gear. My legs usually run out of endurance before strength, and I seem to do better that way. Most people do tend to run higher RPM I have noticed.

This was quite an experience. I'm no stranger to riding, but most of my riding has always consisted of smaller distances to get somewhere, usually 6-10 miles, and fast so I tend to be a bit of a sprinter. I have to rein that in for hte longer stuff.

I'll see if I can get out for a short ride tomorrow - perhaps I'll ride my Trek to work.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Another thing on my list of stuff to do, finish converting the old Trek 6000 to a cyclocross bike. I've already started gathering parts, have a nice 172.5mm 52/42/30 crankset to start with. I'd like to get another wheelset with some street slicks, and a carbon fork to round things out, and I figure I'll save a lot of money and have exactly what I want. Then I'll get back to business. I've done a couple of 25 milers on it already, would like to step it up a bit in the future. ;)

BTW, good job, Andy. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Andy, what is a good bike to start riding to work? YES, riding to work and I'm serious about this. I live about 15 miles one way from my office. I want to do it for three reasons, one, to get in better shape, two, to heal these ankles of mine and three to save more gas.

It's flat land all the way to work and I figured a "good" 10 speed would be good enough. So, what do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy, what is a good bike to start riding to work? YES, riding to work and I'm serious about this. I live about 15 miles one way from my office. I want to do it for three reasons, one, to get in better shape, two, to heal these ankles of mine and three to save more gas.

It's flat land all the way to work and I figured a "good" 10 speed would be good enough. So, what do you think?

Thanks
most modern road bikes have 21, 24, or 27 speeds, nowadays.

I have a Lemond Nevada City, which is an entry level road bike (not including anything you'd get from Wal MArt). I paid I think $700 four years ago. It's a nice bike, but if I get more serious I might upgrade.

A trip to your local bike shop is in order. It will cost you a bit more, but they will take the time to try to get you something that will be good for you. They also might have good used bikes for less.

Also, you might think about working up to the 30 miles per day, if you haven't ridden much. Maybe drive half the distance and bike the rest, or ride every other day, something like that.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I don't ride anything that doesn't have at least 900CC at my crotch! :D

I just don't have the energy!

·
Registered
7,046 Posts

Thanks
Wally, in my opinion commuters are better off with a nice flat bar bike. They are easier to outfit with fenders and bags/panniers for carrying your office/ work goods in. I am a huge lover of Trek bikes so I know them well. I would recommend as an entry level bike a Trek 7.2 FX or for a bit more with better components on it a 7.3 FX. The FX is Treks fitness cross trainer series, check them out here: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/ then click on FX. The Trek Portland, also on that page is a dedicated commuter bike, but it is highend with a highend pricetag on it, but it also wears disk brakes and has the fenders on it.

A 7.2 FX can be had around here for reletively cheap as far as good bikes go. I am working on purchasing a 7.3 or a 7.5 for going out and hauling the kids around on. The 7.3 here is about $569 or so, and the 7.5 gets up to about $799 with the really nice 7.7 going for about $1399. I bought my wife a 7.2 WSD (woman specific design) which i believe I paid about $379 for it. Now is a great time to buy as the factories are bringing out the '09 models over the next few months, so you may find a great get it off the floor deal on an '07 or an even better deal ona remaining '06 model.

You can shop other brands as well, just compare to the FX series.

This is the bike I bought about a month or ago or so: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/pilot/pilot50/

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Andy, thanks, I will definitely hit the bike shop up. As a matter of fact, there is a new one here in town. Thanks

Jeff, how do you ride that? It doesn't have foot pegs. ;) Nice bike and I'll surely take both you and Andy's advice.

I may have to go with a used one, these bikes are a little out of my price range at the moment. But, I guess it will pay for itself after a few months of saved gas money. :)

Thanks Gents.

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy, thanks, I will definitely hit the bike shop up. As a matter of fact, there is a new one here in town. Thanks

Jeff, how do you ride that? It doesn't have foot pegs. ;) Nice bike and I'll surely take both you and Andy's advice.

I may have to go with a used one, these bikes are a little out of my price range at the moment. But, I guess it will pay for itself after a few months of saved gas money. :)

Thanks Gents.
Wally, here is something else to think about. When I rode to school and work, I had a beat up crappy bike I bought at the county bike auction, just in case it got stolen, run over, etc. No one ever touched it - they always went after the nicer bikes. I use my Trek 830 for commuting now, and my "good" bike only comes out when I go on a distance ride. I'm not saying ride a crummy bike, but just don't spend more than you are comfortable losing if something happens.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts

Thanks Gents.
Wally, watch craigslist, their is a load of good used bikes for sale always. Also check around for a shop that sells used bikes or even better, bikes on consignment. If you are 6'0 tall, you will ride a 20" FX. Thats not the wheel size, thats the frame size.

Are you refering to the lack of pedals in the picture? High end bikes don't come with pedals. Seems odd, but when you get into the higher end typically you wear specialized goofy looking shoes that clip to your pedals, the diffrent shoes require diffrent types of pedals, so they just assume you either have pedals or you do like I do and when you get a new bike, you say to hell with the fact that you already have the pedals you need and have them put on really expensive lightweight stainless steel pedals as well. ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wally, watch craigslist, their is a load of good used bikes for sale always. Also check around for a shop that sells used bikes or even better, bikes on consignment. If you are 6'0 tall, you will ride a 20" FX. Thats not the wheel size, thats the frame size.

Are you refering to the lack of pedals in the picture? High end bikes don't come with pedals. Seems odd, but when you get into the higher end typically you wear specialized goofy looking shoes that clip to your pedals, the diffrent shoes require diffrent types of pedals, so they just assume you either have pedals or you do like I do and when you get a new bike, you say to hell with the fact that you already have the pedals you need and have them put on really expensive lightweight stainless steel pedals as well. ;)

Jeff
I've seen Jeff in his riding gear. He didn't stop with just the goofy looking shoes :)

Not having pedals cuts down on the weight. But that makes the bikes cost more. Imaging, paying more to get less :confused:

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Damn, I didn't know there would be as many details in bike riding. I guess a trip to the bike shop will be good for two reasons, a good bike and even more knowledge.

'Preciate the education...
It all comes down to making the bike as lightweight as possible. As Andy said above his bike uses the Shimano Sora groupo which is generally an entry level groupo. Now my bike uses Ultegra which is the second from the best groupo. They both do exactly the same thing and they both work perfectly fine. The diffrence is mine is lighterweight, and it will shift a bit quicker and cleaner. But in the end they both do exactly the same thing which is get you down the road. As Andy said, most road bikes these days are 21 speed or higher. Mine is what is called a triple crankset and is a 30 speed. Most top end bikes are actually 20 speed as better cyclists perfer to have a double crankset which loses them 10 speeds but the gearing is supposed to be spread out better and is again much lighter weight.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I've seen Jeff in his riding gear. He didn't stop with just the goofy looking shoes :)

Not having pedals cuts down on the weight. But that makes the bikes cost more. Imaging, paying more to get less :confused:
Nope, I take the funny looks now as a badge of honor. The only people that give you the weird looks are the ones that can't handle going out and throwing down 50 mile on a bike in a few hours.

Laugh it up funny guy, before the end of the week you will probably being wearing the spandex too. It makes that seat feel a whole lot less uncomfortable.:yes: :D

Jeff

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, I take the funny looks now as a badge of honor. The only people that give you the weird looks are the ones that can't handle going out and throwing down 50 mile on a bike in a few hours.

Laugh it up funny guy, before the end of the week you will probably being wearing the spandex too. It makes that seat feel a whole lot less uncomfortable.:yes: :D

Jeff
I've already got one picked out. It comes with a cape and mask, too.

Later, I'll add the plastic shirt with the fake muscles.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I've already got one picked out. It comes with a cape and mask, too.

Later, I'll add the plastic shirt with the fake muscles.
LMAOROF, that I would like to see so post some pictures Spandex Boy!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts