Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Special thanks to Mike Lewis who supplied most of the parts, and technical spec for my engine build. We built and dyno'ed the motor in my home town Vancouver BC Canada.
I had a stout Brodix RR200 SR motor for 5 years also helped by Mike. It was a 406 making 535HP and 540TQ. I got tired of the power, and wanting to keep all my accessories like serpentine March front drive, Vintage Air II, and exhaust system. I asked Mike if and how we could step up my current power, but keep most bolt on components. The 406 was max cammed for my style of street driving, about 6,000 miles a year.
Also, this new motor needed to fit 100% under my stock hood.
Lucky for me, A local builder had a little M Dart block that was pre-bored to 4.179 for a racer who decieded to go alum block, so the block was made avalable to me for a song.
So, starting with a pre-determined finished bore of 4.185", here is what we came up with.
My SB dart Motor Spec.
*440 CI Dart Little M block
*6.0" Callies 4340 H-Beams 2" pin
*Callies Magnum XL Lightened Crank 4340 4.00" stroke
*Diamond custom cut pistons 11:1 compression
*Bore 4.185" Stroke 4"
*Internal Balance to zero/zero grams
*227 Eliminator Full Comp race CNC heads
*Springs are Manley Nextek, 221443, 235lbs seat 610lbs open.
*Rocker arms 1.6 Jesel offset
*Comp Billet SR RX 4304/NC 4145 259/[email protected] .430/420 .688/.672"lobe lift 112LSA
*Isky EZBearing lifters
* 1050 Patrick James 4150 HP custom carb
*Vic Sr bolted onto the heads, then flowed and ported as one unit. *Moroso 7 Qt Kick, with scrapper, windage tray
* Titan HV BIllet oil pump
*MSD Mech Billet Dist, no Vac advance, SS Blaster coil
*MSD 6AL, 8.5MM wires
*Hooker 2207 Super Comp Ceramic 30" 1-7/8 primary
*3" mandrel bent exhuast DeltaForce flowmaster 50 series
*B-Cool Rad with 2 11" electic fans
*Rear gear 4:11 Eaton Posi Moser 12 bolt, T/A Cover 33 spline axels
* BFG G-Force KDW 275 40 17 rear 25.7" tall 10.2"wide tires(tread)
*Tranny TKO-600 5 speed
*C-Force II, Lakewood fly and bellhousing
* Serpentine system with Vintage Air II
*68 Nova, weight 3,320 lbs
* No power steering
* SSBC 4 corner Disk brakes, ABS Power assist
* Speedtec Tubular A-Frames
* QA1 adjustable on all 4 corners, adjustable coil front.

For in-car dyno tune we left it at a street friendly 621HP, 600TQ.
I think I can safely say 625 to 630HP once the rings got seated decent
On dyno lean tune extreme timing we got close to 650HP on one pull.

The engine was installed in the car April 24th, and I now have an official 1,000 street miles on it.
Needless to say, Thank you Mike Lewis, it does exactly what we wanted to do. Perfect power, and 100% drivabale in 85 degree heat / traffic with the Vintage Air II running.

A very cool ride Mike, Thanks.

Video of the Idle sound 1,000 RPM Idle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice, Very nice, Sounds awesome! Mike has helped me a ton also. great guy!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds close to the motor I have in my car. It run real good on pump gas.
Yup, I can get 94 Octane here, and so I put 94 in it. Loaded in 5th gear on the highway if I stomp on it at 2,400 rpm, no pinging.
I have an Innovative O2 meter that I can hook to my header bung and will be dialing in the timing a bit latter this month. We made massive power at 36 degree's, but on the street so far looks like it likes 32 / 33 a compliment to Tony's good heads, as it sure does not take much timing.

I have a set of ET Streets mounted on Torque Thrust II rims, so on hot days I just bolt them on and go. A mild shift from 2nd to 3rd will invoke tire spin ( 72 MPH ), so those ET streets will help if I ever try to power shift 2-3.
My current rev chip is 7,000, but looks more like I should change it to 7,300 or 7,500. On the dyno at 7,500 it was still making 604HP, it does not drop off to fast wich is a nice bonus.
The TQ is amazing, I can leave it 3rd, or 4th, and not bother to downshift and it will just get up and TQ its way through any gear.

Let me tell ya, TQ is your friend on the street, HP is nice for rac'in.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Sweet motor! I would love to get a little M someday.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For ref my car has ran a 10.05 @ 133.55 mph in the heat on motor with 93 oct, a turbo 400, 4.10 gear, @ 3450 lbs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For ref my car has ran a 10.05 @ 133.55 mph in the heat on motor with 93 oct, a turbo 400, 4.10 gear, @ 3450 lbs.
Have you ever done an engine dyno? What did it make ?

I expect with a good tune and decent 60 foot time on slicks, I could go very low 10's as well. My suspension is set-up decent with slide-a-link, and adjustable QA1 shocks. The shocks are re-located inboard and stagger direct on the axle tubes, not the factory location.
The car is pretty much all SFI equipped, but that is for my safety, not for the track.
Lacking a cage, it would be difficult for me to track test the car, maybe bursts 1/8th, and shut her down early.
The car is purpose built as a powerful protour that loves to make Vipers go home and cry, and I drive it on average 6,000 mles a year.

Last year in an indoor show I got a 2nd place against a Chip Foose car, so when it has a bath, it shows well too.

If I were building for the track, that motor needs 18 or 15 degree heads to utilize the cubes proper.

It is what it is, built to drive.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
that is a very nice SBC combo.. great parts, and Mike Lewis is the man.

·
Registered
213 Posts
No I never put it on a dyno just take it to the track and tune it is the way I do it.I do belive you have low 10s in your combo. And on a side note my cam has duration @ .050 270I 280E duration on a 110 lobe sep and Dart 227cnc heads but other than that the rest of the combo is very close and I bet the heads are not that far from each other also.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Very Nice, I have Carl aka CNC Blocks N/E building me a Dart Little-M to compliment my new AFR 195 Competition Package Heads 75cc. I hope to get in the mid 500's for TQ/HP. I really look forward to the new block and what it has to offer over my old/rebuilt OEM SBC 400. I will be at a 4.165 bore/ 3.750 stroke with a lot od Endurashine parts and freshly painted engine bay.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Nice Deeboo, but I wondered why you went with a 195cc head for your solid cam 409ci motor? I am sure the AFR195s will flow well for your need, but why didnt you go with a 210cc AFR eliminator for that size motor?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I never put it on a dyno just take it to the track and tune it is the way I do it.I do belive you have low 10s in your combo. And on a side note my cam has duration @ .050 270I 280E duration on a 110 lobe sep and Dart 227cnc heads but other than that the rest of the combo is very close and I bet the heads are not that far from each other also.
I talked to Dart today on another issue, wanted to find out history of the block, they keep all serial numbers on file. Not fair to give out his name but he said basically with Darts 227's, and my cam he figured 600HP and applauded the New AFR 227 eliminator heads as bieng an exceptional head.
Seeing what I made with my relativly small cam, another 10 degree's on the intake, and 18 on the exhaust like your cam would sure wake mine up plenty. Joe Sherman likes 280/285 on a 434 with the AFR 227 heads, but if you know Joe he is a beliver in go big, or go home for cam sizes.

Mine however is a real almost daily driver, and with the cam I have 259/262 @ .050 , and the gearing I feel like I am about perfect for the type of driving I do. Mike Lewis dialed that cam in perfect, 5 degree's either way, and I would not be in the sweet spot for my gearing etc.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice Deeboo, but I wondered why you went with a 195cc head for your solid cam 409ci motor? I am sure the AFR195s will flow well for your need, but why didnt you go with a 210cc AFR eliminator for that size motor?
I talked to Tony Mamo who designed the new Eliminators and after a lenthy talk we thought this was the right choice for a 95% street car.
Here is a old thread where Tony chime in on the discussion before I bought the heads.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Special thanks to Mike Lewis who supplied most of the parts, and technical spec for my engine build. We built and dyno'ed the motor in my home town Vancouver BC Canada.
I had a stout Brodix RR200 SR motor for 5 years also helped by Mike. It was a 406 making 535HP and 540TQ. I got tired of the power, and wanting to keep all my accessories like serpentine March front drive, Vintage Air II, and exhaust system. I asked Mike if and how we could step up my current power, but keep most bolt on components. The 406 was max cammed for my style of street driving, about 6,000 miles a year.
Also, this new motor needed to fit 100% under my stock hood.
Lucky for me, A local builder had a little M Dart block that was pre-bored to 4.179 for a racer who decieded to go alum block, so the block was made avalable to me for a song.
So, starting with a pre-determined finished bore of 4.185", here is what we came up with.
My SB dart Motor Spec.
*440 CI Dart Little M block
*6.0" Callies 4340 H-Beams 2" pin
*Callies Magnum XL Lightened Crank 4340 4.00" stroke
*Diamond custom cut pistons 11:1 compression
*Bore 4.185" Stroke 4"
*Internal Balance to zero/zero grams
*227 Eliminator Full Comp race CNC heads
*Springs are Manley Nextek, 221443, 235lbs seat 610lbs open.
*Rocker arms 1.6 Jesel offset
*Comp Billet SR RX 4304/NC 4145 259/[email protected] .430/420 .688/.672"lobe lift 112LSA
*Isky EZBearing lifters
* 1050 Patrick James 4150 HP custom carb
*Vic Sr bolted onto the heads, then flowed and ported as one unit. *Moroso 7 Qt Kick, with scrapper, windage tray
* Titan HV BIllet oil pump
*MSD Mech Billet Dist, no Vac advance, SS Blaster coil
*MSD 6AL, 8.5MM wires
*Hooker 2207 Super Comp Ceramic 30" 1-7/8 primary
*3" mandrel bent exhuast DeltaForce flowmaster 50 series
*B-Cool Rad with 2 11" electic fans
*Rear gear 4:11 Eaton Posi Moser 12 bolt, T/A Cover 33 spline axels
* BFG G-Force KDW 275 40 17 rear 25.7" tall 10.2"wide tires(tread)
*Tranny TKO-600 5 speed
*C-Force II, Lakewood fly and bellhousing
* Serpentine system with Vintage Air II
*68 Nova, weight 3,320 lbs
* No power steering
* SSBC 4 corner Disk brakes, ABS Power assist
* Speedtec Tubular A-Frames
* QA1 adjustable on all 4 corners, adjustable coil front.

For in-car dyno tune we left it at a street friendly 621HP, 600TQ.
I think I can safely say 625 to 630HP once the rings got seated decent
On dyno lean tune extreme timing we got close to 650HP on one pull.

The engine was installed in the car April 24th, and I now have an official 1,000 street miles on it.
Needless to say, Thank you Mike Lewis, it does exactly what we wanted to do. Perfect power, and 100% drivabale in 85 degree heat / traffic with the Vintage Air II running.

A very cool ride Mike, Thanks.

Video of the Idle sound 1,000 RPM Idle. YouTube - 440 at Steelrat's house

=
Hi Patrick
Thank you for the kind words, we do appreciate it, very glad I could help a bit & it was a pleasure as always.

And of course thanks to all the other folks for the kind comments too, we do appreciate knowing we don't screw up too often,,,, :D:D :beers:

It seems the engine turned out great for what you wanted & it sounds awesome,

Thanks again ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike, I just about forgot, the Super damper too.
Yes I am more than happy, it makes 1.42 HP per cube.
That is equal to a BB 454 making 645HP, or a 540 making 766HP.

I don't see a lot of single carb BB engines making what we did with a SB, so yup, you nailed the combination right on.

Thanks again for your help, priceless advise.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stealth bomber with that tame idle , great combo !
Thanks Jason,
It does sneak around easy.
I don't think anything but a well set-up Procharged car could touch me now, not that I am into street at all.
Its a dirty job, but sometimes MUST be done.:yes:

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Sweet little engine but looking at the dyno sheet I noticed the BSFC numbers seemed really high on the top end and maybe a little bigger high speed air bleed would lean it out a little on the top end and pick up air flow and and add some extra HP numbers to your already good numbers you have.

Don't get me wrong those are great numbers great job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts