Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried something new. These are 338cc long runner and 341cc on short runner. Here is what they flow
Long runner
.1-70
.2-159
.3-238
.4-313
.5-368
.6-415
.7-425
.8-429
.9-436
1.0-437

Short runner
.1-70
.2-153
.3-236
.4-297
.5-355
.6-394
.7-413
.8-415
.9-416
1.0-420

This is with a 2.30 intake valve with 50degree seat. My standard 338cc cnc Rhs has a 2.25valve with a 45degree seat and flowed 410cfm at peak and 328cfm at .400.

I was feeling pretty good about these heads and then I spent a weekend with Darrin Morgan and got a kick in the nuts. There is more to making power than just flow numbers. I knew this before but I just needed someone else to tell me again. I was chasing the flow numbers because that is what everybody posts and really helps them with sales. So what is wrong with this head you ask. I will tell you. The problem is the long port. The short runner is fine. The problem is the port is not balanced. What I have is good size CSA at throat but a smaller CSA at the shortside window and bigger CSA at pushrod pinch. This means the min. CSA was at the shortside not the throat, never good. You might say why didn't you pick up on this sooner. Simple it never backed up on the bench it would keep flowing even when I flowed it at 38inches of vacuum. Sure the air speeds where high but it never backed up and flowed well. Flow sells it is everything. When I had the 2.25 valve in it with it's throat size this wasn't an issue because then the throat was smaller than the CSA over the shortside window. The sad part I had measured all this before like I do on all heads I just didn't bother to think about the balance when I changed to the 2.30 valve it just needed to flow more.

I might feel bad if I had sold heads like these to customers but I have had the heads with the 2.25 valves out for about four months and have yet to sell one. Part of this is do to the fact that I am not pimping them all over forums and because I still can't get the aluminums 320s in. However, I did talk to Kevin Feeney and he said it would be about 3 weeks and they would be available. That made me so happy today until I heard we where having fried chicken for supper. The chicken then trumphed the heads. I did have two sets of my cnc ported iron 338cc heads. I used one for the EMC and kept the other as a spare. Now I have converted one to a 2.25 valve with a 50degree seat. That one is going back on the 496 and make some drag runs if I can find time. These aluminum 320s are going on my 540bbc I am building for my drag camaro. I am not going to get in any hurry to put this engine together because I am not going into debt to build this engine and I don't have a lot of time from grinding on customers heads. Thank god. Sorry for the long rant but I am starting to get sharp pains in my shoulder and thought I would take a day off from grinding.

Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC

(918)520-3480
www.wengines.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
So, did u have this revalation before or after my heads??? LOL. My **** runs a 9 (Beers) on stands in the garage. All jokes aside, Eric did my heads and Customer service was top notch. If he did screw up my heads, which is doubtful, the 1 part nitrogen and 2 parts oxygen will fix it.LOL. I hate bull****ters and salesmen, When my dollars are on the line and he is far from it , so anyone looking for heads should put this guy on your list without doubt.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
You are sooooo right Mark. Eric is a class act and we are lucky to have him posting here on TC from time to time.

Pat

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Mark yours didn't have this problem. Brodix heads don't have this problem because their shortside is not near as tall on the Brodix as compared to the RHS. This why the RHS have better low lift flow.

This picture is the short runner right off the machine with a 2.25 valve. I had not touched up the throat yet in this picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts