Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, lets begin.

I want to post this here for posterity. I plan to just document everything here from its beginning as I go through this journey. I hope its okay.

For some background, which I will add along the way, I can refer you to my introduction post explaining how I got here, here:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/59-new-member-introductions/1087428-new-md-cool-story-71-ss.html

I had much encouragement to begin a "build/project" thread, so that is what I am going to do.

Shy of re-posting my back story, here is what I am starting with. Hopefully I can post and organize my pictures with details.

Not sure if I need to post pictures one at a time to explain it, so here goes a try.

Passenger side front view

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I think I am going to have to post individual pictures if I need to explain them. My apologies for not being able to figure out how to post multiple pictures in a post. My computer skills and my old computer suck. I'll just post some general views to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point I guess I should add some details or recap.

This is MY ACTUAL first car I ever owned. If it was not, I never would have bought it. Its rough. I am the guy who will spend way more money over time than it will ever be worth, and I am 1 million percent okay with it.

This is a completely sentimental project. Something that I plan to die with. Hopefully driving a finished car that I can pass along to my son who wants it.

I also need to apologize in advance for possibly rambling from time to time. If you want to follow this thread, I have now forewarned you that I'll probably bore the hell out of you, AND THIS IS GOING TO TAKE A LONG TIME.

To that end, here is a picture from back in the day when it was my daily driver:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back to documenting what I am dealing with. I am going to just post some general overview pictures that I will revisit when the time comes. Giving you the skinny on my rustbucket.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the meantime, I'll fill you in on my "situation".

I have no garage. So at this point, saving it from the elements is something I am working on, which is not limited to working on the means to sell my townhouse and buy a home with a garage, or at worst tending to my finances enough to at least find a garage or storage facility to get it out of the elements.

I also (and this is most important) am raising my currently 3 year old grandson. My time to work on this project is thin, and I am doing the best I can with the circumstances I have. Not complaining, I dig every second of my life, just setting the stage for why this WILL TAKE A LONG TIME.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
Thanks Jim, I know I enjoy build threads just as much as many others do. Good luck on your project looks like you've got an eager helper there. If he gets involved, it will be an experience he will never forget.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dutch Max. I appreciate you following this thread. Been reading a LOT here and am going to be very open to the wisdom provided here.

So here is more,

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More to follow. I welcome your input.

I plan to follow with an inventory of all the additional parts I acquired when I bought the car back (a bunch) as well as my evaluation of the "Good, Bad, and Ugly", and welcome any guidance.

I will also be posting in some other subforums here looking for advice.

To that end, and since I am tired and full of bourbon, I'll leave you with another "back in the day"picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know its been a while since I posted, but I haven't forgotten about you all, or the car. I've been sorting parts since I got the car, and re-boxing things from the old cardboard boxes into plastic totes and labeling things. I know I told you I was going to give you an inventory of what I got with the car, so I finally get a chance to begin that for you.

Here are a few lists from the totes I have sorted, and some other parts I am getting ready for storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Continuing. The A/C kick panels and beige A pillar post covers in the previous post will be on the "to go" list. In this set of pics I show you 2 extra dash pads, a black mono, and a tan stereo pad that are in addition to my original one on the car, and a NOS rear sway bar that I had actually purchased before I sold the car back in the day. Also an extra set of rear interior panels. At this point, I have not cleaned anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the really cool things I got with the car is an extra set of bucket seats. I am going to have a discussion in the "Interior" forum about these in the future, but for now I'll just post some pics. As you can see in one picture, there is whats left of a build sheet in one of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also got this extra frame in the deal. Started taking off the front suspension that was still on it. Got one spring out so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Jim,
I'd missed this thread first time around. Those buckets look to be in pretty good shape. Are you planning to take it back to original? More specifically, you plan on putting another vinyl top on it? My vote is for no vinyl top.
Not telling you something you don't know but you are definitely going to need a garage. As a matter of fact a two car garage would make the project go smoother as you will need the space. A heated garage would help. Living at the same place as the garage is more practical.
I wish you luck and will be following along.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
blm,

Original? = Yes, but for now, original "driver". I won't be doing my numbers matching block at first. It needs to be stitched. Some of the parts I will be using will be "used original", so it may not be cosmetically "perfect".

Vinyl top? = YES. I love vinyl tops. It is one of the reasons I fell in love with the car originally. Back in the day I there were a ton of Chevelles running around my area, mine was the only vinyl top car. Its going back on. I talked to the guy who is going to be doing the body and paint, I'm at least a year away from him being ready for it.

Garage? = As I mentioned previously, I'm working on it. I am not currently in a position to sell my townhouse and buy another house. The price difference between mine and even a small rancher w/ garage (which is what we want) is not equal in our area and we would have to relocate a fair distance away. Current family/work situations would prohibit that. So I am stuck where I am, for now, and doing what I can. I have a friend who has a large building, once I get the frame stripped, I am taking that over there. Once I get the brakes done (it needs everything) and the car can be moved at will, he will let me keep it there. Doing the brakes where it sits is not an issue, its just a matter of getting the time to do it, and the $ to buy the parts.

I guess the one positive I can take out of it is that the guy who had it let it sit outside, unmoved and uncovered for 10+ years, and it really can't get any worse than it is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Continuing with the inventory. List of some things I have boxed up, complete set of Rally wheels, 2 complete consoles, another set of A pillar covers, an extra toe kick, and Malibu lower rocker moldings.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice looking project you have there. It appears you have a great start to your dream car.
A few things I would verify is that it is dry inside, and if not locate and fix any leaks. The back window on mine leaked, ruined 2 package trays before i got a glass guy to remove and reseal the back window. Put new door seals in and then hopefully Everything should remain dry inside. If it is allowed to leak on the carpet, your floor will not last long. I if you can do those things you will buy yourself some time until you get a place to work on it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts