Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the right door skin on my 67 Chevelle SS. Are the reproduction skins as good as the original? Has anyone had a good expierience with a reproduction skin? Does anyone have OEM skins? Any of your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've never done any sheetmetal work before but I would guess that they're pretty close to the original with the exception of some waves that need to be sanded and filled in but other than that it should fit fine.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 12-26-1999).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just got a set of skins for Xmas for my 67SS they look pretty good no waves as for as I can tell
Don't know what they'll fit like just got them. Got mine from Ground Up. Good luck Tom
P.S. If you go this way and get yours on in the next couple of months let me know how they fit. I'm not going to do mine until I get the rest of my Sheet Metal.

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(
Member #409

·
Registered
934 Posts
You might want to test fit the door handle. I heard somewhere that the hole needs to be enlarged on some or all and you don't want to do that after it's painted.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know several pretty good body men in my area and they say door skins are one of the hardest things to do, pretty involved,they recommend getting rust free doors out of the west,rather than reskinning.Here is a number out of Hemmings motor news if you are interested in going this route. American Pie Classics 623-581-0184 or 888-708-8937 toll free,e-mail [email protected] starting at$195.00 ea.here is another one in MN.doors 66,67 rust free shells,2-door hdtp. $300.00 ea. 612-444-5880
F.KELLEY
70 CHEVELLE
84 Z-28 PROJECT

·
Registered
283 Posts
Skins is easy! I would much rather do door skins than hang rear quarters.
Grind off the old skin,about 20 minutes and bang on the new, about 1 hour.
If you haven't done it before , the second one will be much better than the first.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model(water Logged), 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

W

·
0 Posts
Did you check with your friendly GM store for door skins? When I had my 65 they had skins for the right door, what the hell it's worth a call!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.