Chevelles.com banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Good job man!! There's plenty of smiles per mile waiting on ya now!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Good job man!! There's plenty of smiles per mile waiting on ya now!
Thanks, I've got a long ways to go before its done.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
So talked with my painter/body shop and he has another hot rod in the shop now that has "scope creep" so its going to be almost March before he can get my car in..... but I've got a lot of other stuff to do so I guess its not a show stopper.

Wiring, wiring and more wiring! Spent most of the weekend working on getting my Dakota Digital dash powered up and almost have the Vintage Air all wired. The video below is demo mode for the VHX dash, I like the back lighting! Using a bridge module from Dakota Digital I was able to pull over all the sensor data from the Holley HP except for the oil pressure. Talked with Dakota Digital today and sounds like I might need to have new software installed on the bridge module. They had some issues early on and have those fixed now. I ordered my bridge module well after these issues had been fixed but never know how long it have have been sitting on a shelf.

The picture below is all the unused wiring I removed from my new AAW Classic Update Series harness! The dash and EFI eliminated a lot of stuff. The AAW harness has 6 additional fused circuits that have came in very handy for the Vintage Air and other stuff. I've also tried to reuse/repurpose fused circuits like the dash light and gauge circuit for powering the Dakota dash. Keeps it a lot neater job vs. add on inline fuses for items.

Plugging away.....

Attachments

Reactions: senna

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I was just trying to figure out what I should've bought instead, but at the time I pulled the trigger on this didn't have enough knowledge to have made that decision.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Custom driveshaft arrived a few days ago so I got it installed last night. Its from the Driveshaft Shop, it has a CV joint on the trans end to allow for bad driveline angle that a lot of A body swap cars end up with. The best working angle I could get was 4.5 degrees at the trans end, due to the low rear stance and the T56. It was almost double the cost of a U-joint aluminum custom driveshaft, but I didn't want to raise the rear of the car or fight clearance in the driveshaft tunnel so I guess/hope its worth it.

More wiring tonight, hoping to have it completely wired by next weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Well, I'm a wee bit envious. TC member andrewb70 has nothing but praise for their CV joint driveshafts. You've made a wise choice I think and there is one in my El Camino's future also!

Reactions: Jeff65SS

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Driveshaft looks great. How much was it? I may be needing one someday.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Well, I'm a wee bit envious. TC member andrewb70 has nothing but praise for their CV joint driveshafts. You've made a wise choice I think and there is one in my El Camino's future also!
Dave, Andrew's posts were how I found out about this product as well. I was disappointed after using the whole Holley/Blackheart kit components for a LS swap 64-67 A-Body to find that I still had around 5 degrees working angle on the front joint. I don't think the cars they used were as low as mine in the rear. I could have moved the tail shaft up some.... maybe 1/4" - 3/8" but that still wasn't enough to be able to use a standard joint plus I would have been very close to rubbing in the driveshaft tunnel. I think if I were building from scratch and had used a 9" Ford rear end rather than a 12 bolt it may have changed the front working angle enough to work. The pinion location on a 9" is much lower on the case vs. a 12 bolt.

Maybe my wise choice happened to be my only choice in the end!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Vintage Air wiring completed last night. Onto radio and speaker wiring next. Then route A/C hoses under dash.... there's not a lot of room left under there!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Vintage Air wiring completed last night. Onto radio and speaker wiring next. Then route A/C hoses under dash.... there's not a lot of room left under there!
I know what you mean, had to do mine twice to get custom lengths right.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great build! I put a Vintage Air in my '65 El Camino. To avoid two kinks in one of the heater hoses, I bent a coat hanger , went to O'Reilly's, and picked out a pre-formed heater hose that had a section in it that worked. Also had to cut a larger hole in the plastic kick panel to avoid a kink in one of the A/C hoses. (And don't forget the drain line thru the firewall. I nearly did.)

Thanks for posting the CV joint info. I struggled to get the pinion angle set and will have to check after I get some miles on the car. The Tremec ap on my iPhone shows 3.5 degrees (LS3 - TKO-600) after installing spacers on the cross-member.

Keeping going!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Great build! I put a Vintage Air in my '65 El Camino. To avoid two kinks in one of the heater hoses, I bent a coat hanger , went to O'Reilly's, and picked out a pre-formed heater hose that had a section in it that worked. Also had to cut a larger hole in the plastic kick panel to avoid a kink in one of the A/C hoses. (And don't forget the drain line thru the firewall. I nearly did.)

Thanks for posting the CV joint info. I struggled to get the pinion angle set and will have to check after I get some miles on the car. The Tremec ap on my iPhone shows 3.5 degrees (LS3 - TKO-600) after installing spacers on the cross-member.

Keeping going!
I also bought a molded heater hose with a couple of 90 degree bends to get the upper heater hose out thru the kick panel without kinking. But I cheated, my friend had put vintage air in his 65 last summer and he had the part number of the hose!

I still need to run the drain hose, thinking about going thru the kickpanel rather than thru the firewall. I believe there are drain holes in the outer cowl where the kickpanel vents plug into.

Reactions: rmc65elco

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Some more pieces of the puzzle arrived yesterday.....

TMI seats!

Also got rear seat cover with matching pleat pattern.

Headliner, visors and sail panels will be black to match the 2 tone exterior. Package tray, dash and tops of doors will be red. Should closely resemble the exterior when completed.

I already have newer door panels, plan to find a SEM dye color that closely matches the TMI Red vinyl and spray those.

Attachments

Reactions: Dan65ss and senna

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
I also bought a molded heater hose with a couple of 90 degree bends to get the upper heater hose out thru the kick panel without kinking. But I cheated, my friend had put vintage air in his 65 last summer and he had the part number of the hose!

I still need to run the drain hose, thinking about going thru the kickpanel rather than thru the firewall. I believe there are drain holes in the outer cowl where the kickpanel vents plug into.
And that part number/supplier would be . . . . . . . . . . Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Some more pieces of the puzzle arrived yesterday.....

TMI seats!

Also got rear seat cover with matching pleat pattern.

Headliner, visors and sail panels will be black to match the 2 tone exterior. Package tray, dash and tops of doors will be red. Should closely resemble the exterior when completed.

I already have newer door panels, plan to find a SEM dye color that closely matches the TMI Red vinyl and spray those.
I go back and forth on these seats, some parts of them I like, some I don't.

I wish they could dial down that logo. Looks like they offer pretty good support, which really helps you enjoy the drive.

Either way, they'll look good in your car.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 148 Posts