Chevelles.com banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Any particular reason you did'nt use a factory set-up?
My car was originally an A/C car. I didn't get it with all the stuff to make the A/C work, and 30 years ago it was hard to come by and not a priority. I saved the A/C box for the firewall for at least 10 years, never with any intent to put it back in. I did pick up a couple of regular non A/C boxes as well, but there was no way they were going to work with my firewall configuration. And the early A/C firewall units are HUGE. Basically, there's no way it was going to work with the big block. Yes, 65 Z16 cars had big blocks, but they were not offered with A/C to my knowledge, and used a special heater box that moved the hose location further away from the engine.

I love the early cars, but they do make some things more difficult.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Today was a good day. The sun was shining and both cars were out in the driveway.

While I've done many things on cars over the years, bodywork has not been one of them. My son, however, has been at it for several years now and took care of getting my firewall cleaned up for me.

It's not finished yet, but getting close.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Two steps forward, one step back. My new valve springs came in this week, and I brought home a compressor from work. The only one I have found that didn't feel like I was going to lose control with the old solid roller springs. I got one head done, and was on the 3rd valve on the second one when something caught my eye. I could see something on the valve stem , so I pulled it out and inspected it. Definitely abnormal wear. Measured it, found it at .371 above where it sat in the guide, and as small as .363 down near the bottom of the wear area.

I only have 5-6 thousand miles on these heads. I was counting on them being good to go. I'm going to give the machinist that did the block a call tomorrow to see if he has time to look at them. The shop that did them for me originally has never gotten anything back to me completely right, so I have vowed to not give him my money anymore.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I'm slowly moving forward.

Heads came back from the machine shop a few days ago. Valves were worn, but the bronze guides were in spec. New valves and they were good to go. He also touched up the seats and installed the springs for me.

I have this pile of parts sitting on my bench which is an oil pump, driver, pickup and a balancer. I still have an oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, head gaskets and bolts on the way.

The oil pan I'm going to use is still on the last big block that was in my car, it's currently being used as a mock up motor in my Henry J, that will be a dedicated drag car. I'll build the brackets for that this weekend so I can pull that motor out.

I don't think I'm going to make my goal of the end of April, so my current goal is to simply get the engine together to the point that I can install it in the car. It's in the way where it sits. I can do the remaining valvetrain assembly in the car, valve covers, intake etc.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
My son came over today to help me out with making the necessary brackets to hold a motor in my Henry J chassis. Fabrication is not something I do often, and I weld maybe once a year, whereas he does it on a nearly daily basis.

All this so I can pull the motor for the pan. I'll finally get a good look at the inside of it to see what failed, then determine the outcome of the block.

We ran out of time to do more than the mounts, but at least I got that pesky LS motor out of the way and into the shed.

Devin

·
Premium Member
17,435 Posts
... the early A/C firewall units are HUGE. Basically, there's no way it was going to work with the big block. Yes, 65 Z16 cars had big blocks, but they were not offered with A/C to my knowledge, and used a special heater box that moved the hose location further away from the engine.

I love the early cars, but they do make some things more difficult.

Devin
Today, unless I was doing a pure restoration, I too would not use the factory A/C parts... BUT... The '66/67 firewall, etc is the same, and they offered A/C with the factory 396... the heater core and hose locations were the same as small block cars.. The Camaros used different cores for BB cars...

My '66 El camino was a factory 396/A/C car that was turne in to a race car, including removal of a the A/C components... I ended up putting it all back (mostly from a '65 Skylark parts car)…

The "funnest" thing was the big-tube Hooker headers, and the solid lifter cam... Lots of fun getting to the rear plugs, or even pulling the valve covers... What a PITA...

But at least you are making progress... slow and steady...

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
So about 4 years ago I was out at the track having a good time when my engine lost oil pressure. I pulled it out without opening it up and set it aside.

Now that I'm putting another big block together, I needed some pieces from it and I also got word that the race engine for my Henry J should be done soon, so today it came out and finally got disassembled.

The first 2 cylinders looked ok, but the next 5 were bad.

For some reason number 8 looked ok. I guess 7800 rpm was too much for a 2 bolt block, cast crank and 3/8 rods.

So I could put it back together with a new set of rods, I have another crank I could use. But right now I don't need it, so it went out to the shed.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
It's been a while since I posted on my own build thread, but I have been moving slowly forward. After I removed the oil pan from the other engine a few weeks ago, I took it to work and cleaned it out really well, then brought it home and installed the oil pump, pickup, and the pan. I thought I took pictures, but sometimes I get too busy working. The weather was beautiful this last weekend, and I took advantage of it by cleaning and painting my water pump and bellhousing, which I also thought I took pics of out in the sun, but none to be found.
I took another step today and had the flywheel surfaced. I'll be using the same clutch, it's a Ram ceramic 6 puck, but the flywheel showed some evidence of abuse (who, me?) so now it's ready to go too.

I also found myself with some time this evening, so I hit up the local parts store with the "free" rental program to see if they had a balancer installer. I was in luck, and the kit looked like I was probably only the second user. A little while later the balancer was on and I called it a night.

And as you can see the pan etc. is on.

My TKO600 requires that the bellhousing opening is within .005", I plan to measure that this weekend, get some offset dowels on the way and install a pilot bearing. Once that's done I think I'm ready to drop it in.:D

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #150

Making forward progress. Painted the heads last night, the block and pan today. No, it's not show quality, but good enough for a driver. Dialed in the bellhousing, it's .015 out. Need to be within .005 per Tremec, will order offset dowels.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
what a cool thread and story! in the first few pages theres a yellow blown 67 camaro is that the crusher from hot rod or CC mag?
I don't know for sure, I suppose it's possible. It was the right place about the time the car was started. There weren't many dragstrips in SoCal then, and Carlsbad, where those pics were taken is gone now too. I don't remember any hoopla surrounding the car, just another guy making passes, same as me. He was much faster that I was at the time.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Today was a good day. The next step I needed to take was to get the firewall finished where I had drilled holes in it previously before I could drop the engine in. My son had partially finished it, but we ran out of time. Might have done it last weekend, but the weather didn't participate.

This morning my son came over and finished the necessary work on the firewall. Since he's a body guy, I took advantage of his skills.

We had talked about it previously, and there was really nothing for me to do to help him in that, so I started working on the engine. Where I had it stored between cars, there simply wasn't room for it to sit there with the heads on it. He figured it wasn't much time to get the firewall done, so we could drop the engine in today as well.

I bolted the heads on, then he helped me with the trans:

With that done and some finageling and help from my wife, it was in

It's still missing valvetrain, I have the lifters, need to get rockers and pushrods. Not yet decided on valve covers. I think I'm going to use unpainted cheaters, that look stock but are 1/2" taller and paint them to match. I bought a new reproduction LS6 intake, I hope it's better machined than the last one I had 10 years ago or so.

Just for fun I took pictures of before and after dropping in the engine:

It looks much better to me with the engine in place, but I'm afraid it's going to be too low. My headers were scraping occasionally with a small block on these springs, and I cut a coil since I last had a big block in it.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I'll order more parts tomorrow, and keep working on it through this coming week. I have time off, so we'll see how far I can get. It would be awesome to get it fired and ready to drive. I had hoped to have it ready before my registration is due on April 30th. I didn't expect to make it but now it looks like I'll have the time.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
So I couldn't leave it alone tonight. I miss driving this car more than I can describe. Since that is the case, I decided to change shifter handles to something less aggressive, but more comfortable.

And done:

I put a Hurst 4 speed ball on it, not because it's accurate, but because it feels right. It's not new, and it has a few scuffs, just like me and the rest of the car.

Devin

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Nice progress! :thumbsup:
Any picture of the repro intake?

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Nice progress! :thumbsup:
Any picture of the repro intake?
Funny you should ask....I pulled it out of the box today.

I'm not impressed. It had box wear on it, no packing material at all. Not a big deal for someone like me who intends to do far more driving than showing.

The wall of the plenum divider is very rough.

Maybe it will help with fuel atomization?

Plopped it on the engine

It's a terrible fit. The worst part is there is a huge gap at the rear runners on the passenger side. I measured over .040".

And it sits low on the heads to start with. It's like they found the worst possible example of this intake and copied it. I bought one of these years ago when they first came out, and it had similar issues. I had nothing but oil leaks and vacuum leaks from it. I have contacted the seller and requested a return.

With that being the case, I'm not sure what to do for an intake at this point. I have not found another rectangle port intake that will clear my hood. Quite a few aftermarket intakes will fit a 65, but they have an extra inch of clearance from my 64. I do have a 'glass hood with a 2" cowl, but I much prefer my flat steel one.

Devin

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Try find a old Edelbrock c427 they look like o copy of the Winters intake.
There are some on eBay.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Well I spent some time today, didn't get as much visible progress as I'd like, but got some things figured out.

I got an intake from a buddy a few years ago, it was going to get tossed, so he invited me to drop by his shop and grab it before the trash truck came. It was a rectangle port aluminum intake that had been ground smooth and painted with orange sparkle. I grabbed it at the time because, duh, it was big block stuff for free.

Today I threw it on my motor, and to my amazement, it fit well, and even with a carb and air cleaner it cleared my hood. Looking at it I would swear it is a 3933163 intake, which I bought one of years ago and it wouldn't clear, but this one does. I've cahnged from Moroso solid motor mounts to Energy Suspension poly mounts, and I think it sits the engine lower. It seems my fan is not as high as I remember it either, but it's been 4 years.

This is mocked up with typical Holley 4150 and the '68 Corvette drop base air cleaner I've run since I got it from my buddy's dad in high school. The clay on top measures about an inch, maybe a hair more.

I had been hoping to run a q-jet on this deal, but I don't think it's going to work out. There's just no room for an adapter. However, I just picked up a Demon 750 Vac Sec from a coworker that had no clue how to tune it and didn't want to learn so I will bolt that on and dial it in. I have a vacuum gauge and a wideband.

In addition to that I spent some time looking at parking brake cables. Why, you may ask? Because it's never been right in the nearly 30 years I've owned this thing and it wants to rub on the driveshaft, which is not ok. And I have the time right now. It turns out that there's supposed to be a hook coming off the transmission crossmember to direct the passenger side cable under the tailshaft of the trans that I've never had. I'll get one of those coming for both my car and my son's as well.

I was also looking at heater concerns. I took out the original heater many moons ago, but bought a heater from Summit a couple of years ago. One of the issues I had though, is that the hoses for the heater core come straight up with it mounted on the firewall. I remembered recently I had bought a bulkhead connector for the firewall and dug it out, at least 15 years deep.

At first I looked at it and said WTF?? how am I supposed to put hoses on the threaded side, but I did some research and found out it was a Billet Specialties piece, and takes -10AN fittings on that side. I can work with that. I'd prefer not to have rubber hoses on the inside of the firewall, but I'll put up with it to have heat in a car that hasn't had it for nearly 30 years. And I want to drive this thing, a lot.

As a side note, my son was over the other evening and I invited him to sit in it and run it through the gears with the new shift arm. He's driven it before, and his 65 is very similar. His comment after that was that it was Power Tour ready. Not that I'd ever mentioned or planned to run it. His stamp of approval for a driver.

Devin

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Well I spent some time today, didn't get as much visible progress as I'd like, but got some things figured out.

I got an intake from a buddy a few years ago, it was going to get tossed, so he invited me to drop by his shop and grab it before the trash truck came. It was a rectangle port aluminum intake that had been ground smooth and painted with orange sparkle. I grabbed it at the time because, duh, it was big block stuff for free.

Today I threw it on my motor, and to my amazement, it fit well, and even with a carb and air cleaner it cleared my hood. Looking at it I would swear it is a 3933163 intake, which I bought one of years ago and it wouldn't clear, but this one does. I've cahnged from Moroso solid motor mounts to Energy Suspension poly mounts, and I think it sits the engine lower. It seems my fan is not as high as I remember it either, but it's been 4 years.

This is mocked up with typical Holley 4150 and the '68 Corvette drop base air cleaner I've run since I got it from my buddy's dad in high school. The clay on top measures about an inch, maybe a hair more.

I had been hoping to run a q-jet on this deal, but I don't think it's going to work out. There's just no room for an adapter. However, I just picked up a Demon 750 Vac Sec from a coworker that had no clue how to tune it and didn't want to learn so I will bolt that on and dial it in. I have a vacuum gauge and a wideband.

In addition to that I spent some time looking at parking brake cables. Why, you may ask? Because it's never been right in the nearly 30 years I've owned this thing and it wants to rub on the driveshaft, which is not ok. And I have the time right now. It turns out that there's supposed to be a hook coming off the transmission crossmember to direct the passenger side cable under the tailshaft of the trans that I've never had. I'll get one of those coming for both my car and my son's as well.

I was also looking at heater concerns. I took out the original heater many moons ago, but bought a heater from Summit a couple of years ago. One of the issues I had though, is that the hoses for the heater core come straight up with it mounted on the firewall. I remembered recently I had bought a bulkhead connector for the firewall and dug it out, at least 15 years deep.

At first I looked at it and said WTF?? how am I supposed to put hoses on the threaded side, but I did some research and found out it was a Billet Specialties piece, and takes -10AN fittings on that side. I can work with that. I'd prefer not to have rubber hoses on the inside of the firewall, but I'll put up with it to have heat in a car that hasn't had it for nearly 30 years. And I want to drive this thing, a lot.

As a side note, my son was over the other evening and I invited him to sit in it and run it through the gears with the new shift arm. He's driven it before, and his 65 is very similar. His comment after that was that it was Power Tour ready. Not that I'd ever mentioned or planned to run it. His stamp of approval for a driver.

Devin

Fun you had an intake thats fit :thumbsup:

From how the heater hose fittings are located I think it is a earlier 65-68 l78 intake?

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Georgia69
141 - 160 of 198 Posts