Chevelles.com banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Today was an absolute failure. I went to go visit a friend about 15 miles away. I got within about a mile of his house, took the freeway offramp, hit the clutch at the base and my car died. His house was close and this is a rural area, so we weren't in the way. He met up with us, my 13 y/o daughter had come along for the ride, and he had brought some diagnostic tools. We fiddled with a few things quickly and pushed it out of the way.

I called my insurance to get a tow since I have that on my policy, and the gal I was talking to literally could not find the longest highway in the state, with the cross of another highway that is a scenic bypass. I spent 2 hours on the phone with her and her supervisor finally located us.

So I'm told a local towing company will be there to pick us up within an hour. I wait. and I wait. and I wait.

Tow company was 15 miles from my location. So after an hour and 10 mins I call them directly. They tell me the call was cancelled 5 mins after it was sent.

I call my insurance back, mindful of the fact that the battery is getting low in my phone, my service is limited, and they tell me there's no notice of cancellation. The guy Im working with is being helpful, and i'm keeping my temper in check but I've been sitting on the side of the road for 3 hours now. That's not reasonable. He seems eager to help, and assures me he will get somebody there soon.

After I get off the phone with him, I decide to try it again to get it started. Success! It fires off! I decide to attempt to drive it home. I call my wife and give her an up date, and hit the road. as I'm heading home, the local tow company calls me and I tell them I got it running and am headed home. They tell me their number is good for a call back and I get off the phone.

There was more in between, but I got it home. It died in the driveway. Evidently 15 miles is its current limit. I think something in the ignition is getting hot and failing. Right now I suspect the coil, but I'm sure I'll find out.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
There’s a warm big block in my garage. That makes me happy.
Recently I changed out my coil, as I suspected that was the cause of my problem last weekend. I took it out for a quick drive today, and found it really doesn’t want to run below about 1200 rpm. That makes me suspicious of the idle circuit in the carb. In order to get it fired off a couple of weeks ago, I had to add fuel, I think that whatever was in there had been low and evaporated while it sat. As soon as I can find time, maybe later this weekend I’ll clean the carb out and try again.
But overall, it runs and I’m really happy with that. I’ll get the bugs sorted soon and be able to drive bit again.
Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Today I took the carb apart and blew out the idle circuit. Never saw or heard a real clearing, but once I put it back together, it ran as it should. I checked and as usual I had pulled the bronze filters out of the inlet ports on the carb. I dug around in my Holley stuff with no luck, I must have thrown all of them away in the interest of racing. I''l be chasing some down soon.

With that done, I started it and immediately could tell a difference. Even cold, after about 15 seconds it would idle at 700 or so (warm is about 950.) Went for a quick test drive of about 5 miles and it was good.

I have this funny thing where it takes time for me to build a relationship with an old car that's been off the road a while. Right now I'm confident to go 5 miles. Tomorrow I hope to go for a drive, further, and expand that range. My work is 25 miles away, and I'd like to be confident to drive it there. In time we will see. There are always bugs in a new project.

My eventual goal for this is what some call a Reacher. As in, it reaches it's destination. Without fuss. I want to be able to hop in, start it, and go hundreds of miles without having to spend every second listening for strange sounds, vibrations, etc, trying to predict the next failure. When these cars were new, they were driven everywhere, all the time. I want that again. I drove it everywhere as a teen, there's no reason I can't now.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Out for more driving today. All good, no failures. Was pinging a little bit, double checked timing when I got home and retarded it a few degrees. Temps here are high today, mid 80’s, it never ran over 165.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
So today was supposed to be spring day. I cut my front coils when I had a small block in it to get it down to a reasonable height, but now with an iron headed big block it sits too low.

My exhaust is approximately 2 inches off the ground. I’ve put about 70 miles on it like this, but there’s no way I’d clear a speed bump or other road obstacles.
I ordered a set of replacement springs from Summit, same part number as I have now, but they came mid boxed. Not even kinda close.

I don’t know what these are, but they aren’t what I ordered so now I’m playing the waiting game as my car sits registered and insured, and the weather will soon get wetter than I want to drive it in.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
And now we get to the point in the program where I get in trouble with “might as well....”.

When I did the front disk conversion on my car I had full access to a machine shop and all of its equipment. I had scrounged up a grungy set of spindles out off a 71. I bought everything in and blasted it, then sprayed it school bus YELLOW. Because I’m an idiot. That was 23 years ago. Now I’m going to fix it. This afternoon I pulled it all off.

Yeah, everything. Rotor mounting surface, caliper brackets and splash shields, both sides.

I’m going to take it all into my work where I can degrease it, then my son will take it to his work and blast it for me.

If memory serves me correctly the shields should be a goldish color, but I think I’m just going to shoot it all gloss black and bolt it back together.

While I’m here though, is there any suggested upgrades for the brakes? My pads hardly have any wear for all the years but it really doesn’t stop well. I do plan on installing a booster in the not too distant future, as they are manual now.

Devin

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
My 69 sat too low in the front with sagging, used-up original small block springs when I installed a 496 BBC. I bought Moog springs, whatever their website listed as original for a 69 Chevelle with 396 and A/C. They were perfect. Car drove and handled MUCH better as well.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
My 69 sat too low in the front with sagging, used-up original small block springs when I installed a 496 BBC. I bought Moog springs, whatever their website listed as original for a 69 Chevelle with 396 and A/C. They were perfect. Car drove and handled MUCH better as well.
I bought the same part number springs I had before, I liked the way it sat and drove with a big block. I cut a coil when I had a small block in it for a few years and now it's definitely too low. I think I'll be happy with a new set of the same once all the return process is done...

I went out to my garage and fired my car off and ran it for a few minutes this evening. I'm regretting taking it apart right now because the parts were wrong so I can't drive it, but I will be able to drive it better in the end. I got my brake backing plates and caliper brackets degreased today, tomorrow my son will take them to blast. I spent about an hour with paint remover cleaning one rotor, I don't want to blast it and risk getting grit into my bearings.

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Today the Ontrac van showed up with a box from Summit, this set of springs look right.

And last night my son dropped by with freshly blasted brake parts.

I

I hope to paint and assemble this weekend. Will post more when progress is made.
Debin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Today was spring day. I’ve had this car a long time, and changed the springs a number of times with nothing more than a pry bar and a hammer. Today I just couldn’t make it work. I spent all afternoon fighting it, multiple trips to the local parts stores for their tool loan program. Finally ended up just outright buying this one.

Using that, I was able to compress the springs enough to get them in the control arms and raise that with a floor jack. Then I could do the lower ball joint and drop the compressor out through the shock hole.
No done pics yet, it rained today and I wasn’t able to paint my brake parts outside so I still have a bit to go.
Devin

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
When I did my Nova and the Chevelle, I used an All-Thread rod through the shock holes, and some foundation anchor washers.
Then using a combination of the weight of the car, a floor jack, and the all-thread I was able to compress the spring enough
to get it installed. The all-thread rod prevented the spring from shooting out if it got loose.
I never trusted those spring compressors. Glad you got it done.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Finally got it all buttoned up tonight. Bounced it a couple of times and it seems to have settled to 3-3/4” at the lowest point. I know it may still settle out a little more, but it’s enough to clear a speed bump which I didn’t have before.

Devin

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
When I did my Nova and the Chevelle, I used an All-Thread rod through the shock holes, and some foundation anchor washers.
Then using a combination of the weight of the car, a floor jack, and the all-thread I was able to compress the spring enough
to get it installed. The all-thread rod prevented the spring from shooting out if it got loose.
I never trusted those spring compressors. Glad you got it done.
I use a variation of this method, but I use the all thread bolted through the upper shock hole with one pair of the hooks from the spring compressor that Devin purchased. It even works on a bare frame with no engine mounted, but it still scares the hell out of me. :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
I went for a 30 mile test drive today. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the way this engine combo came out. It has power in abundance along with great driveability. There's one hill in particular along my commute that I wanted to make sure I didn't have to downshift to pull, since I run at 2500 rpm on the highway. I tested that today, even starting from an onramp at the bottom of the hill and was able to pull it easily including shifting to fifth and continuing to accelerate without going beyond 3500 rpm at each shift.

I opened the back half of the carb for the first time today and it pulls good, but not like it did when I had the 650 HP motor in it obviously. It will still out accelerate most cars on the road. I didn't engine dyno this one, and chassis dynos are all over the place as far as power is concerned, so I won't go that route. It doesn't matter as I don't intend to race it but I'd guess it's somewhere in the 450-500 HP range.

I measured the suspension height again after I got home and I can happily say after much work aligning the ends of the coils in the right places it sits even side to side. It settled 1/2" at the collector, so I'm down to 3-1/4" there, but I did test it on my drive on 2 speed bumps and I barely touched one and cleared the other. I'm not going to mess with it further. On initial bounce after suspension work I had 25-3/4" at the fender through the center of the wheel, after my drive today it's settled to 24-7/8".

Devin

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
As a side note, this month makes 30 years I've owned the car. I bought it in October of 1990, at the age of 16. I had another 64 Camino before it, but a neighbor from a couple of blocks down took it out when he came around a corner too fast. It took a couple of months to get everything sorted out and insurance paid, but after that I was on the hunt until I found this one.

Devin

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
As a side note, this month makes 30 years I've owned the car. I bought it in October of 1990, at the age of 16. I had another 64 Camino before it, but a neighbor from a couple of blocks down took it out when he came around a corner too fast. It took a couple of months to get everything sorted out and insurance paid, but after that I was on the hunt until I found this one.

Devin
I bought my first '67 on Halloween night in 1990. I was 19. Where the hell did 30 years go? o_O

181 - 198 of 198 Posts