Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the specs on my motor build for my 1969 SS396 Chevelle. The block is the original numbers matching 396 (350hp 2 bolt mains) for the car, I built around it with the condition valve lift fit under the stock valve covers.

Setup for 91 octane pump gas, 700r4 and 3.73 12 bolt behind it. Also used edelbrock performer aluminum oval port heads and matching intake.

I built this to be a torquey, reliable, quick off the line street motor, not a drag race 1/4 mile beast. She dyno'd 455hp @ 5700 rpm with a long, wide torque curve; this was before any break in. Thoughts on the specs? Hydro roller cam and roller rockers. Not sure on piston specs/brand, I know my guy built this for 91 octane.

This is how she sounded heading in for a dual 2.5" exhaust, this is open headers. When we put it in reverse, mmmm, delicious lol

Thoughts, input and even easy upgrade options are much appreciated, thanks everybody! Mike

Font Number Document Screenshot

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
How much TQ did it make like 450 foot pounds at4,200 rpm? Good choice on cam for what you are doing. What carb is under there? What is all the color tube stuff on the driver inner fender?

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much TQ did it make like 450 foot pounds at 4,200 rpm? Good choice on cam for what you are doing. What carb is under there? What is all the color tube stuff on the driver inner fender?
It is over 400ft pounds from below 3000 rpm on up. Holley 670cfm Street Avenger. That color tube stuff lol is 1/0 wire heading back to the trunk for my high end Alpine/Zapco/Phoenix Gold/Boston Acoustics PRO/Morel semi-vintage audio system :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ran that cam in a 496. Made great power, but was a little too radical for my taste on the street. It's going to be even rowdier in a 396. You're going to need a fairly high stall speed, and I personally hate loose converters for street driving. You might like it fine - it's all a matter of personal preference.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran that cam in a 496. Made great power, but was a little too radical for my taste on the street. It's going to be even rowdier in a 396. You're going to need a fairly high stall speed, and I personally hate loose converters for street driving. You might like it fine - it's all a matter of personal preference.
Running a 2400 stall, hoping it matches the 700R4 and 3.73 gears. What did you run?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Running a 2400 stall, hoping it matches the 700R4 and 3.73 gears. What did you run?
I had 3.42 gears and a 2800 stall. Worked GREAT at the track, was too loose for my taste on the street. I also tried a 2000 stall. Worked OK at the track (although a tad slower off the line), but didn't really idle smoothly enough for that tight of a converter on the street.

I think your car will pull great with a 2400 stall. Will just be a matter of your personal taste as to whether you like a converter that loose on the street.

·
Premium Member
17,973 Posts
WHAT!? Holy smokes man, it aint radical in the least! Well, mine is on the wider 111 lsa. But its a melllow muscle car idle, 14" Hg at 950 rpms. 454. His 108 LSA in a smaller mill may only see 10-11" Hg at idle. Just like my old "hot" cam!

PS I also dont prefer loose coverters, hence i PREFER A CLUTCH. Drag coverters are a PITA on the street for sure. 2400 stall is fine, any looser and you'll likely not dig it as Mike says, esp with 3.42 gear set. Be sure your cruise RPM is NORTH of 2400, assuming no lock up. Or you may decide to use a lockup converter; I would.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts