Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a Chevelle, but there is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum that I thought I would ask anyway (plus there is not much traffic over at the Team Impala site.)

I like to call this car my "once in a lifetime Craigslist find.":D I wasn't looking for this type of car, I just stumbled across it while browsing Craigslist one day, went to take a look, and after verifying that it was the real deal, I had it hauled home on a flat bed. It was only about 15 minutes from my house.

It is a 1966 SS 427 Impala convertible, factory red car with red bucket seat interior and white top. It is a 390 horse car with a console shifted auto (I know this hurts the value quite a bit.) It has a few unique options, but is a fairly base car IMO. It has a power drivers bucket seat, tilt/telescoping wheel and a power top, but only has manual windows and locks. It has the idiot light dash and only an AM radio. It also doesn't have A/C.

I have no documentation for the car at all. I looked in the back seat, and inside both bucket seat backs, but didn't find any broadcast sheets. The car does however have its original engine, as well as the original key. I took as many clear high-resolution pics of the engine pad as I could before I bought it and asked several well-respected members here what their opinions were. They all agreed that the stamping was the real deal. I have plenty of pics of the pad, as well as the trim and vin tag that I can post here if needed.

I have not had a chance to check on the transmission or rear end to see if they are original. In fact, I am not even sure whether it has an open rear or posi.:eek: The car has been sitting totally untouched in my garage since I bought it last year, which is why I am now considering selling it.

As far as condition goes, I will do my best to describe all of its issues and then let the pics do the rest. First off, the previous owner stored the car underneath his cousins warehouse for the past 15 years or so. The floors have had several patches put in them (poorly done I believe) and the trunk floor has a few small holes in it. At one point before the previous owner purchased it (back in 1993) both quarters were partially replaced. The quarters were cut off a few inches above the wheelwell, and the new quarters were bolted, yes, bolted on and the seams covered with bondo. It actually looks fine from the outside, but once you examine the inside of the trunk you can see the craptastic work. The hood has surface rust on the underside, but it, along with the front fenders, doors, and decklid are completely rust-free. I don't believe the car was ever exposed to salty roads, I just think that 15 or so years of sitting on a dirt/gravel floor took its toll on the underside. The frame has surface rust, but I did not find any holes/weak spots whatsoever. The car does run and drive, but the brake line is rusted out just in front of the drivers side rear wheel.

I know that the value depends entirely on whether or not the engine stamp is legit. I would appreciate it if you guys could give me an approximate value based on it being the real deal, and that we assume (yes, I know it's never good to assume) that the transmission and rear are also original to the car. I have no reason to doubt that they are. I will attach a few pics to this post, but I have plenty more. I should also mention that there is still a factory chalk mark right above the heater box on the firewall. It was covered in a very thin, flaky layer of black paint. I managed to chip most of it off without removing the chalk at all. However, I was having trouble getting the black paint off of the seam in the firewall, and the chalk is written over that seam, so I gave up and have not touched it since.:sad: I can try and get a good pic of that too if need-be.

I just realized there is a limit of 7 attachments per post, but like I said, I have plenty more pics.

As always, you guys' help is greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Well, I'm no expert and wouldn't dare put a price on it. It certainly looks good from the pics and being so close you made a killer find. But I will say this, I would love to own that car!! It sure would look good in the garage next to our red 66 chevelle. :yes:
Congrats.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm no expert and wouldn't dare put a price on it. It certainly looks good from the pics and being so close you made a killer find. But I will say this, I would love to own that car!! It sure would look good in the garage next to our red 66 chevelle. :yes:
Congrats.
Thanks Larry.:thumbsup:

Im in Canton,If you really want to sell PM me.
I am not quite sure if I am ready to sell yet Rich. I honestly don't know what to ask for it. The only info I could find on the web that had sales prices of these cars listed was on the Barrett-Jackson website. The prices were all over the place, were from several years back, and, well...it's Barrett-Jackson.:rolleyes:

To be totally honest, if this car was a hardtop, I would not be thinking of selling it. I know, I know, convertibles are always more desireable. I am just one of those strange people who really doesn't like any car in convertible form.

Plus, I'm ashamed to say, I have been bitten by the Mopar bug. I'm really interested in finding a nice driver quality big-block 70 Challenger, and I would never kick one of my Chevelles out to make room for a Mopar.:p

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope nobody minds me bumping this up. I started a thread over on the Team Impala site, so I'm hoping to get some insight from the members over there as well. This site seems to have more traffic, so I am still hoping that there is someone here who can give me and idea of what this car is worth, or can point me in the direction of someone who can.

I really have no clue where to start. I'm thinking that most of these cars that are sold are the ones that have already been fully restored, so maybe that is making it difficult to put a value on it?

I should also say that I do not have an Ebay account. Maybe I should make one and go on a fishing expedition to try and determine the cars value? It would, however, make me very nervous setting up an auction for a car like this since I have never used Ebay before. I would really like to save that as a last resort.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,586 Posts
Alex: Can't help you much except to say there was a similar thread maybe a year or so ago and if my memory serves me correctly it was for a 68 impala with a 427. Don't recall much more than that.
Your Impala reminds me of my first car. I had a 65ss Impala convertible, same exterior colors with white interior. Mine had a 327 instead of a 427. So a little more get up and go with yours.
Did you go to the Chevelle show last year in Strongsville? I work in your area so I took my chevelle to work for the week and went up to the show both days. Work at the Canton-Akron airport.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I have a Beautifull trunk moulding that I can part with !!!!! I sold my Blk/Blk/Blk 66 SS427 4spd convert last year in pieces but with lots of NOS and mint parts. Looks correct under the hood, where was it built??? Mine was loaded like yours with PW,Tilt/Tele, Am/FM/ Tach/Gauges,Headrest, and more. My build sheet was behind the front seat backs. Let me know if you need the trunk trim, they are very hard to find in good shape. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Not sure what it's worth... but I like that year Impala... and a 427 to boot. Looks like a pretty solid start for someone..

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alex: Can't help you much except to say there was a similar thread maybe a year or so ago and if my memory serves me correctly it was for a 68 impala with a 427. Don't recall much more than that.
Your Impala reminds me of my first car. I had a 65ss Impala convertible, same exterior colors with white interior. Mine had a 327 instead of a 427. So a little more get up and go with yours.
Did you go to the Chevelle show last year in Strongsville? I work in your area so I took my chevelle to work for the week and went up to the show both days. Work at the Canton-Akron airport.
That sounds like a nice ride Brad. I know I am in the minority, but red cars and convertibles just don't do it for me. If this was a hardtop, things would be different, but I think that is why I am getting the urge to sell the car.

I did not make it to the Chevelle show last year. Believe it or not I am actually fairly new to Chevelles. I got my first one almost 2 years ago, but the only one that I would want to take to a show would be my Burnished Brown 69, and it still needs a few things worked out before I would feel comfortable showing it. I only live about 15 minutes from CAK.

I have a Beautifull trunk moulding that I can part with !!!!! I sold my Blk/Blk/Blk 66 SS427 4spd convert last year in pieces but with lots of NOS and mint parts. Looks correct under the hood, where was it built??? Mine was loaded like yours with PW,Tilt/Tele, Am/FM/ Tach/Gauges,Headrest, and more. My build sheet was behind the front seat backs. Let me know if you need the trunk trim, they are very hard to find in good shape. Jim
I was hoping you would chime in Jim. I remember seeing a post on the forum some time ago in which you mentioned selling the 66 you described above. If you don't mind me asking, what did yours sell for, and in what condition was the car in?

My car was built in Flint, Michigan, which could account for the lack of any build sheet. I did take the bucket seat backs off, but didn't find anything.:(

I will have to check tomorrow, but I am almost positive that the trunk trim is inside the trunk. I know that the missing side trim is inside the back seat. I appreciate the offer, though, and I would love to hear your opinion on what the car could be worth.

Not sure what it's worth... but I like that year Impala... and a 427 to boot. Looks like a pretty solid start for someone..
Thanks Dave, the car is pretty solid, especially for an Ohio car. In reality, I should probably just hold onto it, as I do not believe that I will ever have the chance to own a car that is this rare again, at least not for some time. I just think that with all the projects I have already, it would be best to let the car go to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, and restore it back to the level it deserves. That is if I can figure out what it's worth.:p

Never seen that valve cover sticker before. That thing is sweet. Sure would be a nice car to restore. Tire fryer for sure.
I have been told over on the Team Impala site that the valve cover sticker is not original. I am not sure why it would have been replaced, but I have to take their word for it, as I honestly couldn't tell you.

If I had unlimited time and funds, I would absolutely restore the car to the concourse quality it deserves. Unfortunately, I have pretty much buried myself in projects, and would really like to get into Mopars (without abandoning Chevelles, don't worry :p), if only at the driver quality level.

I'm still hoping for someone to help point me in the direction of an asking price. There have only been a few responses over on the Team Impala site so far, but from the few people that have posted, the consensus seems to be somewhere between $17-$25k.

I would still like some more input, from both here and over on Team Impala, before I decide what to do with the car. I really hope I don't have to go the Ebay route, but if I could find someone that could help me set up the auction to prevent me from making a stupid, and possibly very costly, mistake, I might just have to do that.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I think the estimates in value are a little generous. It appears to be a car that needs a full resto and once done you will have $50-60K invested. I know it is a nice car, a convertible, a 427, but it is still an Impala. Brad and Mike are having a difficult time getting that kind of real money for a car that offers a lot more collectibility and is restored at a high level. To take this car to that level may not stop at $60K total investment using $20K as a starting point.

Problem is there are no good reference points to narrow value down.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the estimates in value are a little generous. It appears to be a car that needs a full resto and once done you will have $50-60K invested. I know it is a nice car, a convertible, a 427, but it is still an Impala. Brad and Mike are having a difficult time getting that kind of real money for a car that offers a lot more collectibility and is restored at a high level. To take this car to that level may not stop at $60K total investment using $20K as a starting point.

Problem is there are no good reference points to narrow value down.
Thanks for your feedback John. You always seem to have very reasonable responses, and this one is no different. You are absolutely right about this car needing a full resto, there is no question about that.

As far as the car "still being an Impala," I know what you mean, but I expect that any potential buyers are the kind of people who are in love with these big Chevys, just as we all are with Chevelles, and that it is not just an Impala to them, but rather one of the rarest Impalas ever built. There is absolutely no doubt that if this car was some rare form of Chevelle, convertible or not, I would not be thinking about selling it.:noway:

Unfortunately, you are also right about there being no good reference points to narrow down value.:(

even with previous shoddy work,I would estimate in the 25K range.Its all how you market it and present it.
Very neat and desirable car :cool:
Thank you.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Alex I tend to give a response based on what I feel is real and not necessarily on what is possible. Several things come into play.

Projects of any kind are a tough sell. I expect that trend to continue as building costs continue to escalate and selling prices are not following them except for a few models .

Impalas are just tough. The guy that will pay a premium for one does not share passion as a chevelle guy. Or a lot of other musclecar enthusiasts. These big old cars still have to overcome the grandma stigma. A 427 in a 66 Impala is not going to carry the excitement of a 409 in a 62-63 because of the racing history. Especially an automatic.

I just do not see any price support for a 66 Impala Project of any kind at $25K or selling price once costs are tacked on to that figure. With a Chevelle there are thousands of examples at almost every stage and Thousand dollar increment.

Good luck with your car. One thing is for sure, this debate will be decided by one thing.....a cashed check. Then and only then will it be proven what the car is worth to a new buyer and you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 1969 SS 427 Impala Custom in Mesa, AZ in 1985. It was built in Los Angeles in December, 1968. I had several self-proclaimed experts tell me over the years that the car was a fake because they had never seen one and I had no documentation, build sheet, etc., to prove the legitimacy of the car. During restoration, I found the build sheet, in triplicate, with the carbon sheets in between the paper copies, underneath the front driver carpeting. That build sheet is worth its weight in gold now! So, you may yet find the build sheet. I know several people who worked at Fisher #2 where that body was put together and at Chevrolet Assembly where it was finished. If it were Thursday evening or Friday afternoon when the trim was installed in the car, they may have not ever put the build sheet in the car. For those of you with assembly plant experience, you'll probably understand what I mean!

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I purchased a 1969 SS 427 Impala Custom in Mesa, AZ in 1985. It was built in Los Angeles in December, 1968. I had several self-proclaimed experts tell me over the years that the car was a fake because they had never seen one and I had no documentation, build sheet, etc., to prove the legitimacy of the car. During restoration, I found the build sheet, in triplicate, with the carbon sheets in between the paper copies, underneath the front driver carpeting. That build sheet is worth its weight in gold now! So, you may yet find the build sheet. I know several people who worked at Fisher #2 where that body was put together and at Chevrolet Assembly where it was finished. If it were Thursday evening or Friday afternoon when the trim was installed in the car, they may have not ever put the build sheet in the car. For those of you with assembly plant experience, you'll probably understand what I mean!
3 ways to get a 427 in an Impala in 69.

LS1.........18308
L36.......... 5582 High Performance
L72.......... 546 Special High Performance...... Which one is yours?

M-22........ 77 Now thats the rare one.

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts
Alex I tend to give a response based on what I feel is real and not necessarily on what is possible. Several things come into play.

Projects of any kind are a tough sell. I expect that trend to continue as building costs continue to escalate and selling prices are not following them except for a few models .

Impalas are just tough. The guy that will pay a premium for one does not share passion as a chevelle guy. Or a lot of other musclecar enthusiasts. These big old cars still have to overcome the grandma stigma. A 427 in a 66 Impala is not going to carry the excitement of a 409 in a 62-63 because of the racing history. Especially an automatic.

I just do not see any price support for a 66 Impala Project of any kind at $25K or selling price once costs are tacked on to that figure. With a Chevelle there are thousands of examples at almost every stage and Thousand dollar increment..
I tend to agree... And in addition, even though a 427 is rare, its still the 390HP version with an automatic... A 4-speed, and especially a 425HP version would be alot different... Its not the rarity, its the desirability... Chevelles are more desirable, in general...

I also think the "bolted and bondoed" quarters are going to make alot of potential buyers think twice... Even if everything else "looks" good, buyers are still going to wonder what else is hidden, and whats missing...

Does anyone have numbers on how many 390HP cars were built? I have heard 3287 427/390 hp cars (full-size)...

Personally, I hate when people put something for sale KNOWING they aren't selling ("testing the waters" crap), but rather just to see where the market is...

Yeah, I guess Ebay can be intimidating (I haven't sold anything on there for a few years), and you'll have to put a reserve which will cost you... But if you set your reserve at/above what you have into it, then you guaranteed yourself a profit...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts